Anyone interested in a guide to using a Blackberry Storm as a tethered modem in Mac OS X? I wrote a detailed one with screenshots galore, but I can't post the URL until I make ten posts. Since I'm not much of a forum goer I don't think this will ever happen, but I'd like to get it out into the open anyway. Hopefully google will crawl it soon. When it does, I can provide the search keywords.

EDIT: Can a moderator add the URL for me? I can PM the link to you, and if you check it out you'll see that it isn't spam, and that my site doesn't even have advertisements.

EDIT: Replace all the spaces below with periods to get to the guide. If/when I reach 10 posts I will replace this with a URL.

www robinkirkman com/2009/09/04/how-to-use-your-blackberry-storm-as-a-tethered-modem-in-os-x/
    Last edited by esialb; 09-04-09 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added URL
    09-04-09 06:27 PM
    I am down to get a guide for that. I've used several apps but none of them get it done to my satisfaction, i.e. it's really slow or the connection drops after a few minutes.
    09-04-09 07:27 PM
    I am down to get a guide for that. I've used several apps but none of them get it done to my satisfaction, i.e. it's really slow or the connection drops after a few minutes.
    Well, the connection still drops randomly. I address this in the guide. I can't find any real pattern; sometimes it lasts for a day, sometimes only 5 minutes. The only correlation I have found is that it is more likely to drop when there is a sudden spike in bandwidth usage, such as loading a flash-heavy web page when you've been idle for half an hour. It doesn't drop every time this happens, it just seems to be a little less random.

Also, what I experience isn't really a drop, it's more like a hang. Suddenly the connection completely stalls, but the modem doesn't hang up or disconnect. You have to disconnect and reconnect manually. I'm in the early stages of writing an application which will detect this condition and automatically dis- and re-connect for you.

I usually get a few hours per connect though.

EDIT: I should add that I use this method with Verizon. Maybe other networks don't drop.
    Last edited by esialb; 09-04-09 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Added Verizon, drop/hang clarification
    09-04-09 07:33 PM
    well if that's the case just our luck to be stuck with Big Red.

Is this another app or is this a configuration to the tools I already have at my fingertips?
    09-04-09 08:04 PM
    This is all configuration of normal software, nothing to download or install either on the Blackberry or on your Mac. I use Leopard, but my instructions will work for previous OS X versions. The dialogs might be different though.
    09-04-09 08:06 PM
    No worries I'm on leopard soon to be snow leopard
    09-04-09 08:08 PM
    i have been tethering my BB storm to my mac via bluetooth for a year now.. it rocks.. I will be glad to post your link if you pm it to me!
    09-04-09 08:09 PM
    i have been tethering my BB storm to my mac via bluetooth for a year now.. it rocks.. I will be glad to post your link if you pm it to me!
    Wish I could take you up on that. I can't PM anyone but staff until I have 10 posts, and apparently I can't PM even them URLs until I have 10 posts either.
    09-04-09 08:13 PM
    ahhh.... bluetooth I never really considered the potential for that I'll definitely give it try even at the moment it won't mean diddly for me as I have a desktop with Fi-Os
    09-04-09 08:13 PM
    well you only need six more... post away!
    09-04-09 08:14 PM
    you don't need to post a URL exactly either, just remove the dots in between the URL and tell people to put them back
    09-04-09 08:16 PM
    you don't need to post a URL exactly either, just remove the dots in between the URL and tell people to put them back
    Well, here goes. Replace all of the spaces with periods in the following:

www robinkirkman com/2009/09/04/how-to-use-your-blackberry-storm-as-a-tethered-modem-in-os-x/

If I get to 10 posts I'll change that to a real URL. Mods, it would be awesome if you changed it for me.
    09-04-09 08:20 PM
    09-04-09 08:27 PM
    That is an excellent guide and I highly recommend that to go in the How to section. Mods please add this in there
    09-04-09 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD