Thinking of going back to Google calendar sync for BB. The DM just keeps giving me too many problems with my calendar. I'm still getting duplicate entries and stuff. Never had a problem with it before DM mac.

I'm already using Busy sync (by the way this is not a paid endorsement, but this product is AWESOME) to sync my mobileme - icall to Wife's ical to her mobileme. All flawlessly.

Any thoughts before I pull the life support plug on the calendar sync option in DM for Mac?
    03-03-10 02:21 PM
    I say go for it, I use Google Sync and use a Google calendar. I love it, Google rocks!
    03-03-10 02:47 PM
    I say go for it, I use Google Sync and use a Google calendar. I love it, Google rocks!
    Never had much luck with contacts. It screwed them up. I'm happy with the DM contact sync and the ability to delete things off the BB.

The calendar sync is just nothing but troubles. Everytime I "fix" it, it lasts about a week and then the dups start again. The alarms all disappear. I don't remember having a problem with alarms in calendar events in google sync.

Do the alarms in google calendar sync go through?
    03-03-10 03:04 PM
    The alarms go through for me, yes...
    03-03-10 03:06 PM
    I have used Google Sync since day one, never let me down. A lot of people also love miQ
    03-03-10 03:07 PM
    I too have been using Google Sync from the beginning! It's never given me a problem. Go back to it and give it another shot.
    03-03-10 03:10 PM
    Sounds like the confidence builder I was looking for. LOL!!

I'll try it tonight and see how it goes.
    03-03-10 03:36 PM
    I have Snow Leopard and a BB9000 and use iCal.

I am totally stumped on how to sync my iCal with BB.

I installed Google Sync on my BB and get a message that something else is syncing the calendar... so I removed it and have tried to set up syncing by adding accounts to iCal and Address Book, and changing setting is Google Calendar to no avail.

What is the most reliable set up?
    Is there documentation or a You-Tube video that can give me some guidance.
    03-04-10 10:09 AM
    I continually read about problems that people have with BBDM for Mac. I have yet, yet, to to have a single issue with syncing. Everything else, media-wise, I use finder to move files around.

I think I'm going to build a detailed guide of BBDM for Mac.
    03-04-10 01:09 PM
    I too have had no trouble syncing with DM for Mac. I am a novice Mac user as well. Syncing works much easier than it did under Windows for me, and I was a die hard Windows user.

Coming from a Palm Pilot I always found the Blackberry rather puzzling. I have wondered why, when you have a computer sitting right next to the Blackberry, you would want to sync by sending information from the Berry to the Internet, then back. That simply seems ridiculous to me. There should be no reason you couldn't simply sync the two as I always did with the Palm. Almost any program offered for the Palm at the time offered a sync option. Why is that so hard with the Blackberry? Truly I believe it is laziness on the part of developers.

I am constantly amazed that people want to upload their person information to the Internet just to sync a calendar or contact list.

Thankfully after buying my MacBook Pro a couple of weeks ago I have had no problems syncing things. Of course most of the problems I have read about relating to the Bold I have not experienced either. It seems to me most problems seem to come down to some user related error.
    03-04-10 10:57 PM
    I've used Mac DM and it always worked for me. But I much prefer the wireless sync with Google. I can't be bothered having to plug-in the BB and I like my calendar backed up ASAP after I add something.... just in case....
    03-05-10 12:02 AM
    I don't find it difficult to plug the Blackberry in. The entire elapsed time between plugging in and completing the sync is less than a minute so I can quickly and easily keep things synced. That is fast enough and I don't have to trust Google with my personal information.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-10 03:01 AM
    Has Google fixed their problem with recurring events? That was my biggest issue with it when I tried it. It turned all my recurring events into individual events which then caused massive duplicates.
    03-05-10 10:47 AM
    I have used Google Sync since day one, never let me down. A lot of people also love miQ
    Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with the fact Google Sync doesn't sync all the contact data from Google Contacts to your BB. It leaves out several important fields...and this is a well-known problem. This is why I moved to the Mac DTM, but with the Mac DTM, none of the Calendar alarms go off on my BB so it's useless as well.

Each has it's virtues...but I really can't live without complete contact data on my BB and I doubt Google will fix this in Google Sync until later this year.
    03-07-10 03:23 PM
    I use the BIS Gmail contacts sync and I don't see any important fields skipped
    Blackberry Contact Sync

(Yeah, would have loved if the contact photos also got synced onto BB
    I use the Google Sync app only for calendar and that works well (except for recurring contacts)
    03-09-10 12:45 PM
    Just out of curiosity, how do you deal with the fact Google Sync doesn't sync all the contact data from Google Contacts to your BB. It leaves out several important fields...and this is a well-known problem. This is why I moved to the Mac DTM, but with the Mac DTM, none of the Calendar alarms go off on my BB so it's useless as well.

Each has it's virtues...but I really can't live without complete contact data on my BB and I doubt Google will fix this in Google Sync until later this year.
    I've been following this thread for some time, and here is some guidance that I think you'll find very true, as I've been messing with DTM for Mac since it came out, and now through two OS's on my Tour. I've also tried Google Sync several times.

First, for your iCal contacts to show up and display the proper alarm reminders on your BB, you need to use "ONLY" the "Message" alarm in iCal. If you use "Message with Sound" the alarm will be synched to your BB but not the reminder.

I don't care who says differently, there are several missing info fields for Contacts when you use Google Sync. Primary ones are Birthday and Anniversary (or any other DATES), even if you have these implemented in Google Contacts. This is a known (and admitted) Google issue with no future fix on the radar.

Here's what I do, and it works quite well. I use Google Calendar along with Google Sync for my Calendar events. I would use iCal and sync to Google Calendar but iCal's Sync Service has a couple of problems (primarily FREE/BUSY are reversed (it's an iCal Sync Service problem). So I just use Google exclusively for my Calendar. Calendar events are the things that change the most, anyway.

For Contacts I use DTM for Mac which syncs flawlessly from the Mac Address, and I only use it when I know I've changed a contact on either my Desktop or my BB, which isn't too often.

This may not be the optimum way for all, but it works for me, and I suppose many others. Hopefully, someday RIM will show us a little more love with the DTM (for Mac) or Google will get off their butts and fix the Google Sync for Contacts.

Your mileage may vary...but let me know if you need anything clarified.
    04-03-10 12:20 PM
    Has Google fixed their problem with recurring events? That was my biggest issue with it when I tried it. It turned all my recurring events into individual events which then caused massive duplicates.
    No...it's still the one problem that keeps most folks from using Google Calendar Sync, and I don't think there is any way around it. I've tried synching several different ways, but you just can't have a recurring event with a reminder.
    04-03-10 09:52 PM
    Google Sync for contacts works alright, but it's definitely not as nice as the real-time sync on my iPod touch through Exchange. I'm only starting to use Google Sync now again because I'm moving to Android in a few months so I might as well get on the bandwagon now.

04-04-10 01:19 AM
    So question....

do you still use ICal and sync to google? and then have google sync to BB?

I ma running snow leopard and was doing pretty well with the sync until th enew version came out, deleted everything on Ical from my Curve 8530.

Now I ge tduplicates, etc and then the delete off my Ical still...such a pain...esp since I have color coded my calendars for quick access...

thoughts?
    04-29-10 01:40 AM
    Every time I "think" I have a solution for synching contacts and calendar between my Mac and BlackBerry...something else comes up to mess things up. For me, having a flawless sync from my Google contacts and Google calendar to my smartphone is very important, and I think the only way that will ever be achieved is for me to move to Android, where there simply is no sync problems. I'll be in line this morning at Verizon getting the new HTC Incredible as I think years down the road there will still be sync problems between Google and BlackBerry.
    04-29-10 06:07 AM
    Well, its been a while since I updated but now that I lost ALL of my calendar events on my mac thx to this POS DM for MAC I have gone back to googlesync for my calendar events.

Never had a problem with it and should have just stuck with it. Even with the back up of my BB the data on the BB became so corrupted with the sync of 1.0.3 (what ever the heck the latest POS version is) that I had to manual enter in 129 calendar events in my ical.

guess it is my fault for actually thinking that my sync would actually work after reading all the issues.

I pray for the day that Verizon actually gets the iphone so I don't have to worry about any of this crap again.
    05-04-10 09:49 AM
    I am trying google sync and it doesn't sync any meetings created on blackberry to google calendar. It syncs all my appointments from google calender to blackberry . I have set all my default services to gmail account . How can I get two way sync.
    I am having storm 1 with 591

05-05-10 10:00 PM
    I am trying google sync and it doesn't sync any meetings created on blackberry to google calendar. It syncs all my appointments from google calender to blackberry . I have set all my default services to gmail account . How can I get two way sync.
    I am having storm 1 with 591

I haven't had that problem. In your google calendar do you have all of your calendars as syncing?

Do you have your google calendar on your BB as the default calendar? If not make it your default on the BB and when you enter events they will sync.
    05-06-10 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD