I have an iMac and a Macbook, I'm getting a Curve tomorrow. I hear there are limitation with the Mac Sync, what do I need to know?
    06-06-08 12:39 AM
    Search through this forum and you will find a number of answers to your questions. You can find info on almost anything, and if you have a specific question that is not answered (search first) then just start a new topic and you will gladly get answers
    06-06-08 08:06 AM
    You need to post up when you actually have your BB and admit your addicted!
    06-14-08 03:37 AM
    I haven't too much problems using curve with my mac. Only thing is that you won't be able to update the os on your curve using a mac. But for me, everything else works fine. I use my work PC to update os on my curve. Had to get the IT department's blessing, but sure beats buying or finding a windows machine.
    06-14-08 02:43 PM
    I've got an iMac(Intel) and have had my Curve for2wks. I've been borrowing my hubbys work pc to do most things but was recently told about Mass Media Storage Mode and that I can drag and drop on to the curve.This is ok for songs etc but can I do this with applications or would I have to use DM on the PC for that?
    Thanks,Bx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 06:06 AM
    I've got an iMac(Intel) and have had my Curve for2wks. I've been borrowing my hubbys work pc to do most things but was recently told about Mass Media Storage Mode and that I can drag and drop on to the curve.This is ok for songs etc but can I do this with applications or would I have to use DM on the PC for that?
    Thanks,Bx

You cannot do that for applications, as far as I am concerned.

There may be some advanced way to place all the files on your Curve without Desktop Manager and have an application work, but it is much simpler to install an app OTA or thru desktop manager.

Sorry for the inconvenience, we are all hoping and waiting patiently for DM for OSX.

Instead of using your husband's PC, why not install a Virtual Machine on your iMac with Windows XP?? That is what I found was the easiest way to get the BlackBerry syncing without all of the hassle.

PocketMac is a free program but will not support backup, restore, app installation or media well, if at all.

MissingSync is not free... and supports media (photos and music, etc) but still does not support backup, restore, and installing apps.

We will just have to be patient and wait for DM for OSX to enjoy all of the features And use a PC version for now, because it saves a lotta hassle using those Mac alternatives
    06-18-08 08:33 AM
    Make sure you get an unlimited data plan on the Curve.

06-18-08 08:51 AM
    Instead of using your husband's PC, why not install a Virtual Machine on your iMac with Windows XP?? That is what I found was the easiest way to get the BlackBerry syncing without all of the hassle.
    I will NEVER understand why people would get a Mac, then put WinBlows on it; if thats the case, then one would do better with a cheap laptop running win. Thats like - I WANT a Mac, but NEED windows.
    06-18-08 09:00 AM
    I will NEVER understand why people would get a Mac, then put WinBlows on it; if thats the case, then one would do better with a cheap laptop running win. Thats like - I WANT a Mac, but NEED windows.
    Actually... I resisted putting Windows on it, because I can honestly do everything on my Mac without it. I have used Macs (along with Windows machines at work...) my entire life. Believe me, I do not want Windows on my Mac... but I did not get it for that sole purpose!!

I actually hate that I have Windows on my Mac to do my BB stuff... but it beats all the hassle... and it is simple to get running. I only boot into my XP VM to sync my BB... then I am back to Leopard

And using VMWare Fusion is a breeze and technically does not put Windows on your Mac...

I think you need to chill out a little bit and quit ******** out. It is a convenience to be able to run Windows on a Mac (if needed) and it is a **** of a lot easier to have one machine than to buy a seperate laptop (no matter how cheap and sh*tty it is... to run Windows on)
    06-18-08 12:14 PM
    Actually... I resisted putting Windows on it, because I can honestly do everything on my Mac without it. I have used Macs (along with Windows machines at work...) my entire life. Believe me, I do not want Windows on my Mac... but I did not get it for that sole purpose!!

I actually hate that I have Windows on my Mac to do my BB stuff... but it beats all the hassle... and it is simple to get running. I only boot into my XP VM to sync my BB... then I am back to Leopard

And using VMWare Fusion is a breeze and technically does not put Windows on your Mac...

I think you need to chill out a little bit and quit ******** out. It is a convenience to be able to run Windows on a Mac (if needed) and it is a **** of a lot easier to have one machine than to buy a seperate laptop (no matter how cheap and sh*tty it is... to run Windows on)

Considering I wasnt nasty towards anyone in stating how "I" feel about it, I seriously doubt I need to chill out and whatever else that is you said that needed to be filtered out.

Funny how people think they have the right to tell someone THEY DONT KNOW what to do.... Imagine that!
    06-18-08 01:57 PM
    I told you to calm down about the whole Windows thing... and to clear things up, that is the only thing negative I stated towards you... so sorry to p*ss you off, I do not want to start anything...

Everything up until this point is basic experience I have had through my years on Mac, nothing offensive... just stating why it can make sense to run Windows at times

I think you need to chill out a little bit and quit ******** The word blanked out is fre@king... sorry it offended you so badly out.

From here... I do not say anything else directed towards you... so I do not see the issue.
    It is a convenience to be able to run Windows on a Mac (if needed) and it is a **** (should be H*LL)of a lot easier to have one machine than to buy a seperate laptop (no matter how cheap and sh*tty it is... to run Windows on)
    Once again, sorry if I offended you... it was not my aim to do so... but there are logical uses for Windows, and if you do not want to admit that, then you should open your eyes
    06-19-08 09:14 AM
    I think you need to chill out a little bit and quit ******** out.

there are logical uses for Windows, and if you do not want to admit that, then you should open your eyes

Fr34king out? Nowhere in my post did I fr34k out. That's something you chose to assume- although I dont know why. I stated what "I" felt about windows on a Mac. I dont care what the "logical" uses are- you do with your Mac what you want and I'll do the same and as long as EACH of us are happy with our Macs the way EACH of us chooses to use it, that's all that really matters.

So sir, I suggest YOU open YOUR eyes and stop having so many emotions regarding what someone else feels!
    06-19-08 09:45 AM
    First take a look at this thread, it gives you very detail instructions on how to get PM to work with your BB.

Also you can install programs with PM. Simply go to Utilities, then select Install Software on your device.

The only thing you can't do as of yet is update the OS or free up memory by removing unwanted pre-installed programs or themes. For that you will need a PC.

Rumor out there is that a DTM for Mac is coming.
    06-19-08 01:59 PM
    If you have Verizon do not expect ANY support from them. They will promise you the world when it comes to the blackberry syncing with a mac(by using 3rd party software). However, they don't mention that they will not help you with the most important things in which blackberry is not compatible for mac.

If you run into issues before DM comes out for Mac, You will need to find a way to use desktop manager from a Windows type of machine (VM or a buddy's computer) in order to update your firmware/OS. I had issues with my pearl which were an easy fix by just upgrading the OS, but verizon techs (after holding my phone for 5 hours) just handed my phone back and said, "Can"t help you." I find that humorous considering that they are working on windows based systems.

3 months and hundreds of call logs and spinning hourglasses on my BB later, I found a kind soul that allowed me to load DM onto their PC and get the update I needed. Otherwise I just load apps over the BB internet app.

Good luck, and throw those wishes for BB support into the collective mac user wishing well. Maybe sometime very soon we will get what we were promised by the ignorant techs at the verizon store.
    Last edited by cooksr; 06-20-08 at 10:28 AM. Reason: grammatical errors
    06-20-08 10:26 AM
    If you have Verizon do not expect ANY support from them. They will promise you the world when it comes to the blackberry syncing with a mac(by using 3rd party software). However, they don't mention that they will not help you with the most important things in which blackberry is not compatible for mac.

If you run into issues before DM comes out for Mac, You will need to find a way to use desktop manager from a Windows type of machine (VM or a buddy's computer) in order to update your firmware/OS. I had issues with my pearl which were an easy fix by just upgrading the OS, but verizon techs (after holding my phone for 5 hours) just handed my phone back and said, "Can"t help you." I find that humorous considering that they are working on windows based systems.

3 months and hundreds of call logs and spinning hourglasses on my BB later, I found a kind soul that allowed me to load DM onto their PC and get the update I needed. Otherwise I just load apps over the BB internet app.

Good luck, and throw those wishes for BB support into the collective mac user wishing well. Maybe sometime very soon we will get what we were promised by the ignorant techs at the verizon store.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!! And True That!!

I think your post summarizes what most people experience with their frustrations of BB and Mac... ahhhh!

That is exactly why I just bypassed the whole Mac "alternatives" and went straight to using Windows to sync I did not like the idea... but I knew it would save a hassle, a headache and a pain in the @$$!! From time to time I experiment with the OSX alternatives, but they just p*ss me off!!!
    06-20-08 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD