Hi all. Yesterday I had to cancel my att service. I recieved an iphone as a gift earlier this month, but the att monthly fees were ridiculous. I am a longtime mac user and I just loved my iphone and its beautiful interface. However beyond being a cool gadget, it was really helping me keep organized because it synced my ical, address book, iphoto, etc and everything was so seamless. Also I need to be able to access my email easily from anywhere.

The search for a new phone brought me here. I could really use some advice from you all, since I am absolutely newbie when it comes to blackberries. I was thinking about getting a blackberry but it needs to meet these requirements:

1) works on verizon network
    2) syncs with ical, address book, etc.
    3) can browse the web and works on a wifi network
    4) has a camera

Can you guys suggest any blackberry phones like this? Thanks so much!
    If I do end up getting a blackberry I look forward to being a very active member of these forums!
    09-25-07 12:09 PM
    Well you are going to find a Verizon BlackBerry with a camera and wifi. As for iCal support I don't believe BlackBerry desktop manager will sync natively with it, but there might be a third party ap for it.

If you must have a camera, the 8130 (CDMA BlackBerry Pearl 2) is coming out in November.

Otherwise, you aren't going to find a device that meets your requirements. Verizon is very slow on releasing new phones, especially BlackBerrys.
    09-25-07 01:28 PM
    Verizon has no Blackberry devices with cameras, or WiFi.. you were better of sticking with AT&T for that portion of your request, on top of that, if you thought the AT&T iPhone plans were kinda expensive, then verizons BB plans may not be for you either..voice and data plans start @ 450 AT mins with Unlim data for $79.99...w/Unlimited IN Calling to any Verizon Wireless Customer and Unlimited Night & Weekend Minutes....iCAL will not be supported by desktop manager, You will need to use PocketMAC for that....in all reality, if cost was an issue for you, you were better off with the iPhone as you will not be saving nor gaining anything with a BB service from verizon.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 09-25-07 at 01:37 PM.
    09-25-07 01:31 PM
    Ok thanks guys great advice I didn't realize BB plans were so much per month. Its not that the iphone was unaffordable, its that AT&T pissed us off with not being upfront about the monthly costs of the phones. There is a non-optional $20/month charge for iphones that they don't make clear in their plan brochures or when you are singing up. so if you think you are signing up for a $60 plan, add $20, then $20 more for taxes and fees and you end up paying $100/month. Thus we were mad at AT&T but I am beginning to realize that most cell phone carriers are somewhat diabolical....

Thanks again, good luck with blackberries i might as well just reactivate this iphone i guess. Syncing with my mac is definitely worth it lol! take care
    09-25-07 01:50 PM
    Ok thanks guys great advice I didn't realize BB plans were so much per month. Its not that the iphone was unaffordable, its that AT&T pissed us off with not being upfront about the monthly costs of the phones. There is a non-optional $20/month charge for iphones that they don't make clear in their plan brochures or when you are singing up. so if you think you are signing up for a $60 plan, add $20, then $20 more for taxes and fees and you end up paying $100/month. Thus we were mad at AT&T but I am beginning to realize that most cell phone carriers are somewhat diabolical....

Thanks again, good luck with blackberries i might as well just reactivate this iphone i guess. Syncing with my mac is definitely worth it lol! take care
    I think you made the right choice for now. Maybe in a year or two, Verizon will have a device that meets your needs and you can reconsider them.
    09-25-07 02:10 PM
    I have to say that I am in the same boat, but curious about what the OP is saying. I am switching from an IPhone because of functionality, not because of cost. Every single brochere I have seen for the IPhone and what I was told upfront lists the costs, and they have been dead on accurate. I pay $99.99 a month for 1350 minutes and their complete data plan. The same I was paying on VZW for my Q and Blackberry plans. No hidden charges and nothing has changed. So I would really like to know what the hidden $20 is for.
    09-28-07 08:38 AM
    I doubt verizon will EVER have a device that meets those needs without charging a fortune for the free features that they disable so they can charge for using their services. I can't stand VZW anymore and will be singing all weekend after getting away from them. It will be nice to finally have phones in my family that I don't need to seem edit to get them to do what they are ment to do from the factory.

Plus it will be nice to be able to swap sim's out if I need a break from my BB for a weekend or something but still be reachable via cell.
    09-28-07 09:21 AM
    I dont know if I would say that. VZW has been known to "cripple" some devices, but other times they have been quick and in some ways out front. How about the Q? It was the first of the thin smart phones. No crippling at all really.
    09-28-07 11:17 AM
    It's unfair to continue slinging arrows at carriers for what they do and dont allow; thus why we have a choice, so I agree with josh on your point, commend you audit for taking action on your choice.

It's easy enough to point fingers at carriers and say "why cant I do this? It's MY phone, and I can do with it as I wish!" However, when you sign on the dotted line, there's always the detailed laundry list of items in the contract that you should be aware of and understand before committing (if you dont read the contract its your own fault).

By no means am I here to bash on consumers and defend carriers, but its a bit frustrating to hear the chimes continually of "Verizon doesnt let me do...." when you signed up and knew what was coming. Verizon is a large corporation which has profit margins and investors to think of, and that's their bottom line. You could equally criticize every carrier for not allowing everyone to sign up for a cheap data only plan and allow you to use VoIP instead of taxing you for "anytime minutes". Cell phones and such commodities are luxuries, and not necessities, no matter how busy work and life make you think that they are, and we've become spoiled as consumers in demanding that others make products that we are 100% happy with and have total control over. If you really want total control, then you should assume total responsibility and know what you're dealing with and what you're doing. Locked out of a feature? Should've done your research first and thoroughly. Dont like your contract terms? You shouldve read them and realized what it meant before signing. Want to leave your carrier? Then by all means do it. Just know that no one forces your hand in any of this, and if you have a better solution and know what you want, I hear its getting cheap to start your own MVVO

....stepping off the soapbox and back to my desk.
    09-28-07 12:57 PM
    See the thing is, when I first signed up for VZW, they weren't crippling their phones and disabling features such as Bluetooth transfers and GPS. Now they do that as a standard on most every phone they release and expect people to purchase things such as VZ Navigator. There is nothing in the contract that says they will disable apps and I've looked at the contract.

I've researched to see what works and what doesn't and I knew that the 8703e didn't have GPS when I purchased it and am fine with that. I'm NOT fine with the coverage and how it's getting worse. They have admitted they lack coverage and it's getting worse where I live at and where I'm working at now so that's why they are letting me out of my contract with no fee's.

I'm the last one to be jumping on the latest and greatest as I had the 7250 when the 8830 was released. I tried the 8830 in the store and wasn't happy with it even though they were willing to give it to me at the same cost as the 8703e and toss in a 2GB card in and a few other things. Now things have changed as far as things in my personal life and I need to be reached when I'm at the office much more then before, and because I'm not always at my desk and people don't know where I'm at, my cell is the #1 way to reach me either via calling me or e-mailing me. But since I get 0 signal inside my office while I watch every GSM phone work perfect, I'm not reachable and it's made a lot of people upset, and it's cost me $ since I wasn't reachable during certain times.

That's the #1 reason I'm moving, lack of coverage and VZW admitting they have no plans on increasing the coverage in my home or work area. And the funny part is, my office is in one of the biggest cities in the state with cell towers everywhere.
    09-28-07 02:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD