09-30-09 10:28 AM
45 12
tools
    A more complete fix maybe, with full Read/Write acces rights for all contacts in the BB after.
    But... you need Desktop Manager for windows (tested with VMware + Windows XP SP3 on a MAC).
    Should probably work on a Windows desktop (of your friend) too, but I didn't try that.
    This is a procedural solution with no fine understanding of where the mess come from. Probably a cultural shock between the Windows background of RIM and the Unix BSD file style of MAC ;-)

STOP here and try another way ------------------------------
    - Open Windows (in VMWare for me).
    - Open DM for Windows
    - Once your device is connected (of course you already close DM for Mac!!!)
    - Choose "Backup and restore" > "Advanced" button. The soft start to transfert device databases info. Databases of the device are listed now.
    - Select "Address Book" and "Address Book - All"
    - Click on the left arrow to copy the two DB on the computer. Now the two DB are list in the left column "Computer Databases". Still selected in the right column "Device Databases". If not reselect them two in the right column. DON'T USE THE LEFT COLUMN WITH THE "DELETE" BUTTON!
    - Click the "Clear" button. Are you sure... ?
    - Click "Yes" The two DB are still listed in the device but with no record this time. Now the paradise...
    - Select the two DB in the left column "Computer Databases"
    - click the right arrow to restore the DB on the device.
    - Click yes (even if only one DB "Adress Book - All" is listed). Now the DB is back in the right column (Device Databases) with the records.
    - Quit Blackberry Desktop Manager, turn off VMware.
    - Disconnect your BB (If your DM for mac launch automaticaly, close it first).
    Result : I can't find a contact that is still read only -> Everything is Read and Write on my BlackBerry bold.
    Sorry for this conundrum but this completely restore an acceptable and usable Contact DB on my BB.
    An advice, avoid any beta Desktop Manager for Mac and hope that Mr. RIM is aware of this incredible bug (on the BB DM site I fear). Hope it's helping.
    This is pretty much what I did. I didn't follow the instructions but I got my old Win laptop running which had some old BB back-ups on it and syncn-ed it that way. Seemed to have fixed the problem for now......
    09-11-09 04:57 PM
    the problem is not the DM, i uninstalled my Gmail account on BIS and boom end of problem. I think its the new gmail plugin???
    09-12-09 08:38 AM
    Running Mac OS X (NOT Snow Leopard) v10.5.8
    Just installed a copy of Mac Desktop Beta found on forums
    Verizon Wireless & Curve 8330

Repeat, this is NOT a Snow Leopard issue specifically. I am having all the same issues on editing contacts and few other quirks like receiving emails but not being allowed to send/create (being told that it would only save as a draft to the phone).

When I walked into Verizon for tech support they replaced my phone, twice this week. Huge pain to request all my BB Messenger contacts again, and setup all my device preferences. I would advise all Mac/BB users to wait for the official RIM release of the Desktop Software. Its less headache to just revise contacts/calendars manually until the bugs are worked out.

The BB benefits far outweigh the heartaches, BUT syncing has probably been, for me, the most painful issue of choosing BB as a Mac user. I would run to iPhone IMMEDIATELY if it were not for 4 things. Poor battery life, inability to swap the battery, lesser quality mobile network, touchscreen without physical flip-out keyboard.

I hope this is informative. Give it a rating.

Just spent like 3 hours on the phone with RIM. Guy i talked to was a mac beta tester seems we have figured it to be a Snow Leopard Problem. I was Unable to uninstall the desk top software he was running 10.5 no problems so he is going to put Snow on his laptop and see what it does... as far as getting this to work it seems that contact import is a read only file so you are unable to edit it... and pocketmac wont work Cuz desktop software breaks it. need to do a time machine roll back or use a PC.. i will post any new info i get
    09-12-09 11:45 AM
    I still can't update anything on my device. And have yet to find a way to get it to work. There are like 20 updates and in the process it stops updating.
    09-12-09 02:15 PM
    The BB benefits far outweigh the heartaches, BUT syncing has probably been, for me, the most painful issue of choosing BB as a Mac user. I would run to iPhone IMMEDIATELY if it were not for 4 things. Poor battery life, inability to swap the battery, lesser quality mobile network, touchscreen without physical flip-out keyboard.
    Ironically for me BB syncs to Mac better than the iPhone.

I too assumed the iPhone would sync to Mac better than BlackBerry. I rely on Tasks and the iPhone doesn't even have them let alone sync. And forget Entourage unless you use MS Exchange. Apple rely on Sync Services which is reliably unreliable! The BlackBerry DM beta also uses Sync Services to work with Entourage and I hope RIM have a better solution in the final release.

-- Robert.
    09-12-09 05:07 PM
    Just spent like 3 hours on the phone with RIM. Guy i talked to was a mac beta tester seems we have figured it to be a Snow Leopard Problem. I was Unable to uninstall the desk top software he was running 10.5 no problems so he is going to put Snow on his laptop and see what it does... as far as getting this to work it seems that contact import is a read only file so you are unable to edit it... and pocketmac wont work Cuz desktop software breaks it. need to do a time machine roll back or use a PC.. i will post any new info i get
    It's not a snow leopard problem. I'm running leopard. And getting the same errors.
    09-13-09 07:25 PM
    I'd been annoyed with the bugs of Mac DTM Beta for days now. Totally pissed me off(can't delete contacts, can't edit, mix-up of infos & multiple contact entries), so I tried back & forth tweaking through the process & I came up with this solution:

1. Sync (leave the replace all contacts on this device unmarked)

2. Review & edit the contact list at your Address Book. To fix mix ups or double entries. (To restore names for no name entries, simply mark contact as company)

3. Sync again (Mark replace all contacts on this device). This will replace the errors from the 1st sync with the ones edited from the Address Book.

4. Back-up device data.

5. After completing the back-up, restore latest back-up file (mark Address Book - All).

As of the moment, works quite fine with my BB. I can delete contacts & edit contacts again. This will do for the meanwhile for us beta users, until the official version is released (hoping there aren't anymore bugs).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dm8m; 09-15-09 at 03:11 PM.
    09-15-09 02:55 PM
    problem was fixed for me the same way the OP stated...archive and then wipe out your address book on your mac, sync, so theyre both blank. reimport the archive, and sync...works perfectly.
    Didn't work for me, as no matter what I did I got a "sync error".

Even when the sync appeared to go through, I still had 140 identical contacts in my list on the Berry.

Been at this for hours now, as VMware and Parallels aren't working on Snow Leopard, and for some reason I can't do an advanced restore on the Hackintosh, which has a fairly recent backup.

It's looking like a manual re-entry may be in order, as I can't seem to restore from DM4M backup, or the virtual machine backups.

Reloading the OS isn't an option, again, due to the lack of a good virtualization option at the moment. I'm not willing to reinstall and download all my Virtual appliances and applications right now, although I fear that may be the only way to get out of this MESS that Desktop Manager for Mac has created.
    09-16-09 12:02 AM
    I'd been annoyed with the bugs of Mac DTM Beta for days now. Totally pissed me off(can't delete contacts, can't edit, mix-up of infos & multiple contact entries), so I tried back & forth tweaking through the process & I came up with this solution:

1. Sync (leave the replace all contacts on this device unmarked)

2. Review & edit the contact list at your Address Book. To fix mix ups or double entries. (To restore names for no name entries, simply mark contact as company)

3. Sync again (Mark replace all contacts on this device). This will replace the errors from the 1st sync with the ones edited from the Address Book.

4. Back-up device data.

5. After completing the back-up, restore latest back-up file (mark Address Book - All).

As of the moment, works quite fine with my BB. I can delete contacts & edit contacts again. This will do for the meanwhile for us beta users, until the official version is released (hoping there aren't anymore bugs).

Hope this helps.
    Didn't work for me, as no matter what I did I got a "sync error".

Even when the sync appeared to go through, I still had 140 identical contacts in my list on the Berry.

Been at this for hours now, as VMware and Parallels aren't working on Snow Leopard, and for some reason I can't do an advanced restore on the Hackintosh, which has a fairly recent backup.

It's looking like a manual re-entry may be in order, as I can't seem to restore from DM4M backup, or the virtual machine backups.

Reloading the OS isn't an option, again, due to the lack of a good virtualization option at the moment. I'm not willing to reinstall and download all my Virtual appliances and applications right now, although I fear that may be the only way to get out of this MESS that Desktop Manager for Mac has created.
    Sorry to hear that but it works just fine with my bb. I can delete & edit contacts now, without multiple entries as well.
    09-17-09 01:43 AM
    dm8m- that fix worked for me- thanks!
    09-17-09 07:35 PM
    dm8m, thanks for the advice.

I'm a bit lazy though, so instead I just followed steps 4 and 5 of your instructions, modifying step 5 to only restore the address book database, and I can edit contacts again. I have a Curve 8900, and Mac OS 10.6.1.

So this worked for me:
    1. Create Back Up in Blackberry Desktop Manager
    2. Restore, but only select the "Address Book - All" database

Great work! Thanks.
    Clinton.
    Last edited by clintonb; 09-18-09 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Supply more information
    09-18-09 10:05 AM
    dm8m- that fix worked for me- thanks!
    glad to be of help to everyone.
    09-18-09 03:49 PM

I'm a bit lazy though, so instead I just followed steps 4 and 5 of your instructions, modifying step 5 to only restore the address book database, and I can edit contacts again. I have a Curve 8900, and Mac OS 10.6.1.

So this worked for me:

Great work! Thanks.
    Clinton.
    Your welcome

That would be the choice if u don't to have new contacts, but in my case I usually have new contacts everytime I do a sync. I do a both ways sync first to infuse my new contacts in my mac's address book.

There are still some issues with multiple entries since I allowed same names again in my contacts. So better keep the allow same names option at no to keep out of trouble, it's not as terrible as before though just a couple of mix-ups.

Hopefully, the official version is released so we can all breathe easier with relief.
    09-18-09 04:09 PM
    I guess after reading all these problems I will have to try and put my contacts back with outlook on the pc. I love BB Desktop Manager because it syncs my iCal perfectly...

It's too bad.

When I changed settings on my address book it screwed everything up. I thought I would be able to sync my address book with my BB contact list, so I went on the desktop manager and (DONT EVER DO THIS!) under advanced settings on the contacts sync, I checked "replace all contacts on this blackberry device".

It did replace my BB contact's all right--WITH BLANKS! And whatever I do, my address book contacts would not be synced to my BB. An error message always comes up saying "Please retry the sync".

Sometimes I would get this on my BB while trying to sync: "uncaught exception: java.lang.NullPointerException". Whatever that means...and other times I would get this on my desktop manager saying "the sync server failed to let client BB Desktop Manager to pull changes."

I don't know what else to do. I guess I'll just use the pc for now to sync or use PocketMac until RIM gets this right. But I'm sure BB people will always have problems because Apple is iPhone friendly..
    09-18-09 07:48 PM

So this worked for me:

Great work! Thanks.
    Clinton.
    I did that but it still won't resync my contacts back on my BB. I have the same 8900 phone but on Mac 10.5.8. What do you think I can do?
    09-18-09 07:50 PM
    DM8M, you are a godsend!!! many kudos....

I have the 9530, and its been a bane to me contacts wise since using the beta app... hopefully this thursday will mark a good clean release...

I am posting to offer another work around, but you would have to have a google account. I had been up until the release of BBDM(Mac) using google sync, but mysteriously it stopped connecting, and i had duplicates out the ying yang thanks to BBDM and google sync conflicting.

but here goes my method, which thanks to DM8M, will be modified, will post once i stream lined it:

1. with the info from my last sync to google, went into contacts on gmail.com, cleaned duplicates, and then exported to vcard format.

2. went into addressbook.app, cleaned it out complete, did a sync thru bbdm, clearing both the contacts out of the phone, (wish i thought of this before i WIPED my phone)

3. imported vcard master from google into address book, resync'd.

4. now going to follow dm8m's tactic, refined by clinton and pray for rain

5. use idrive lite....
    09-20-09 01:14 AM
    Glad to be of help to you PUMATHREE & thanks for appreciating

Another warning, refrain from marking contact as company. This caused a lot of confusion between the Mac Address Book & the BB Contacts.

The infos in the contacts marked as companies got mixed up. & every time I do a sync, they turn up as no names in my Mac Address Book. So to avoid the hassle of fixing up the mess over & over again, better mark them as persons instead. You can edit their category from company to first names instead if it irritates you to see them as no names in the Mac Address Book.

It also turned out that allowing same names again in my contacts is not the problem, Mac Address Book doesn't recognize whether you had edited a contact thru your bb or not. Seems that there is no database that sets old contacts apart from new ones. So every edit of contacts in your BB is added as a new contact in the Mac Address Book, which piles up everytime an edit is done in your BB. The only way I was able to counter this is by manually clearing up multiple entries in the Mac Address Book before I do a wipe-out sync of my BB's contacts.
    Last edited by dm8m; 09-20-09 at 04:35 PM.
    09-20-09 04:25 PM
    None of these solutions work for me, except for going into windows, but that defeats the whole purpose of doing it on a mac!

Whenever I try to wipe all contact data from my blackberry using the mac DM, I always get a sync error.
    Also, I cannot delete any contact on my blackberry that is synced!
    It's very frustrating to have an addressbook with so many (no name)'s!
    09-21-09 09:25 PM
    I've been going crazy trying to figure this one out. ClintonBs solution worked. I can now delete and edit on my bold. I am using mac DTM and 5.0.0.238.

THANKS!
    09-29-09 09:57 AM
    Gave up on the free PocketMac stuff and went for the Missing Sync. Merged Address book contact info and everything works perfect!! Bottom line is, you get what you pay for. A free sync software is NOT the way to go. Just read the pages and pages of problems.
    09-30-09 10:28 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD