09-30-09 11:28 AM
45 12
tools
    So, I started using the Desktop Manager for Mac and I ran into an issue. I originally just did the two way sync and let it kind of mix everything up. However, I was annoyed by the few mixups it made like marking e-mails that were labeled work as home and vice versa.

So, I just went into Address Book.app and corrected everything as it should be. Once i got everything setup correct on my Address Book.app, I made an Address Book Archive Backup and then erased all contacts from the Address Book and did a sync. This left both the phone and computer empty.

At that point, I then restored the backup file and did a sync again. Now I have a perfect match between the Mac and Blackberry, however I am unable to make an edits on the Blackberry. I get this message: "Contact Updated Externally. Changes will be lost and the viewer closed."

I can't even delete any contacts either. I can make a new one and then edit and delete it. But the ones that came from the computer are locked in.

I tried to resend my service books and no dice. I also did a battery pull. I searched the forums and didn't find anything that worked. Any ideas on how to fix that?
    09-05-09 08:36 PM
    Having the same problem on my Tour. I am searching forums with very little luck. I do not want to wipe my device, but I am not sure that I am going to find another way around this!
    09-06-09 02:18 AM
    Just spent like 3 hours on the phone with RIM. Guy i talked to was a mac beta tester seems we have figured it to be a Snow Leopard Problem. I was Unable to uninstall the desk top software he was running 10.5 no problems so he is going to put Snow on his laptop and see what it does... as far as getting this to work it seems that contact import is a read only file so you are unable to edit it... and pocketmac wont work Cuz desktop software breaks it. need to do a time machine roll back or use a PC.. i will post any new info i get
    09-06-09 04:27 AM
    Thanks for that ff25124, I have the same problem. I could find nothing in address book preferences or sharing that can work around this—eagerly await your post.
    09-06-09 06:27 AM
    Having the exact same problem. Very frustrating having this issue. I'm looking forward to this solution.
    09-06-09 09:23 AM
    I had the same problem with DM and my BB8830. I'm trying to revert to The Missing Sync 1.0.3 to see if I can restore my contacts to the way they were before (editable).
    09-06-09 12:05 PM
    OP, Thanks for the leg work on this. Looks like it is affecting everyone. Lets hope this is fixed before releasing the official version.
    09-06-09 04:12 PM
    Just spent like 3 hours on the phone with RIM. Guy i talked to was a mac beta tester seems we have figured it to be a Snow Leopard Problem. I was Unable to uninstall the desk top software he was running 10.5 no problems so he is going to put Snow on his laptop and see what it does... as far as getting this to work it seems that contact import is a read only file so you are unable to edit it... and pocketmac wont work Cuz desktop software breaks it. need to do a time machine roll back or use a PC.. i will post any new info i get
    Is this someone you know or did you just call RIM for support? I'm curious what the reaction was of you calling about unreleased beta software. Did the guy you talk to give you any hints on how old the version we are using is, or if RIM is close to making anything official?
    09-06-09 04:14 PM
    I had this error too. I restored to my backup because of it.
    09-06-09 05:14 PM
    I am hoping the official release will address all these issues
    09-06-09 05:50 PM
    I gave up and uninstalled the Mac Desktop Manager and went back to Missing Sync and tried to re-sync. Well, I ended up with like two of everything on my phone and was unable to erase the duplicates.

Then I figured, "well, I made a backup, I'll just restore the address book part.." Well, I was wrong about that. I tried that and I got an error that the sync and failed. What I ended up with was one of my contacts about 200 times in the address book on the BB. It basically became my contact for everyone.

And then when I synced back to the mac, it turned everything to a business card with the name of "p" and the body had special characters. I went into windows and tried to erase the address book database and it didn't show up!

So I cut my losses and decided I would simply wipe and reinstall. I went back to Missing Sync and loaded my contacts back and everything is fine.

The Desktop Manager for Mac has quite a few kinks to work out before it's production ready I'd say!

Thank god for backups!
    09-07-09 12:06 AM
    This beta is still too buggy for those of us that rely on having our contacts and calendars sync reliably between our Macs and BlackBerries. I reinstalled Missing Sync and got my Address Book back, but now my Calendars are full of inconsistencies on MobileMe syncs.
    Missing Sync isn't perfect, but it is fairly predictable.
    09-07-09 12:07 PM
    I am having the same issues. Luckily for me I have only recently bought my IMac so I had only a few contacts on it so I only have like 5 or 6 contacts that are doubled or tripled up on my BB.

Not a huge issue for me but still annoying to see my brother and my wife each listed like 3 or 4 times on my Berry
    09-07-09 06:54 PM
    After a little experimentation, I've found that all editing of contacts must be done on the mac, everything else works ok.

You can still enter new contacts on the phone, but after they've been synced, they can't be edited.

Syncing and backup after the initial effort are much quicker than on the pc version. I also like the look of the mac DM.

I can live with this until the official release comes this month and I can edit my contacts on the phone again.
    09-07-09 08:18 PM
    I wonder if Apple is to blame for all of our address book woes. I have never had a program that synced addresses properly. PocketMac would duplicate contacts; Missing Sync randomly deleted contacts; and Mac DTM prevents contacts from being edited on the phone and turns all businesses into 'no name' individuals (among other things). It is kind of weird that will all 3 programs, everything seemed to work ok for me except the address book.
    09-07-09 09:04 PM
    From posts on other forums, it seems that apple is the culprit as devices that used to sync no longer do with sl.
    09-07-09 09:08 PM
    problem was fixed for me the same way the OP stated...archive and then wipe out your address book on your mac, sync, so theyre both blank. reimport the archive, and sync...works perfectly.
    09-07-09 11:11 PM
    A more complete fix maybe, with full Read/Write acces rights for all contacts in the BB after.
    But... you need Desktop Manager for windows (tested with VMware + Windows XP SP3 on a MAC).
    Should probably work on a Windows desktop (of your friend) too, but I didn't try that.
    This is a procedural solution with no fine understanding of where the mess come from. Probably a cultural shock between the Windows background of RIM and the Unix BSD file style of MAC ;-)
    So, I just went into Address Book.app and corrected everything as it should be. Once i got everything setup correct on my Address Book.app, I made an Address Book Archive Backup.
    STOP here and try another way ------------------------------
    - Open Windows (in VMWare for me).
    - Open DM for Windows
    - Once your device is connected (of course you already close DM for Mac!!!)
    - Choose "Backup and restore" > "Advanced" button. The soft start to transfert device databases info. Databases of the device are listed now.
    - Select "Address Book" and "Address Book - All"
    - Click on the left arrow to copy the two DB on the computer. Now the two DB are list in the left column "Computer Databases". Still selected in the right column "Device Databases". If not reselect them two in the right column. DON'T USE THE LEFT COLUMN WITH THE "DELETE" BUTTON!
    - Click the "Clear" button. Are you sure... ?
    - Click "Yes" The two DB are still listed in the device but with no record this time. Now the paradise...
    - Select the two DB in the left column "Computer Databases"
    - click the right arrow to restore the DB on the device.
    - Click yes (even if only one DB "Adress Book - All" is listed). Now the DB is back in the right column (Device Databases) with the records.
    - Quit Blackberry Desktop Manager, turn off VMware.
    - Disconnect your BB (If your DM for mac launch automaticaly, close it first).
    Result : I can't find a contact that is still read only -> Everything is Read and Write on my BlackBerry bold.
    Sorry for this conundrum but this completely restore an acceptable and usable Contact DB on my BB.
    An advice, avoid any beta Desktop Manager for Mac and hope that Mr. RIM is aware of this incredible bug (on the BB DM site I fear). Hope it's helping.
    Last edited by ymoymo; 09-08-09 at 03:28 AM.
    09-08-09 02:51 AM
    Thanks ymoymo! That worked perfectly! I am able to edit all of my contacts again. Now, my question is this: If I sync again with my Mac, are my contacts going to be read only again until repeating this process? I'm assuming so, but does anyone know for sure?
    09-08-09 03:17 PM
    I've connected My 8900 for T-Mobile to the BBDM for Mac twice so far and I click the applications icon and it comes up with like 20+ updates for the phone. So I click install and it starts the process and never finishes. I get a message that reads "Cannot establish a connection, there may be a problem with your network." Does anyone know why this may be happening? Also it seems to completely cut off the wireless signal while connected to the Desktop Manager.
    09-08-09 04:48 PM
    Darn, I haven't got vmware for my mac, only a thinkpad which I do all my backups etc on.
    09-08-09 07:32 PM
    10.6 is definitely the problem. a buddy of mine is on 10.5 and has no such problem. I was struggling as the rest of you were but the solution with DM on a PC worked great! Thanks alot! Hopefully this problem is fixed in the new version and they dont pull a software release down the road or something
    09-08-09 10:26 PM
    Thanks, I didn't try but it is likely that "read only" will strike back. Try and tell me ;-) You have the antidote!
    09-09-09 12:18 AM
    Ok so here is what exactly is happening:
    I connect my 8900 to the comp and start the update process. It'll get about 30-40% done and when it hits "Backing up 'WAP Push Messages'" I get the "BlackBerry Desktop Manager failed to update your BlackBerry device." box 1 and behind it box 2 saying "BlackBerry Desktop Manager could not download the required files. There may be a problem with your network connection or the server is not responding. Please try again later."

I don't get it. Then I go back to my phone and my wireless signal is "Off". So i have to restore wireless connection. IDK what is going on. Anyone care to help out?

Thanks
    09-09-09 10:52 AM
    I'm having the same issue with duplicating contacts and I'm NOT running snow leopard. I'm using 10.5.8 with an 8330. Haven't tried the windows fix stated a few posts back, but thought people would want to know it isn't limited to snow leopard.
    09-09-09 11:51 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD