I have a Curve 8330, and ever since I upgraded the OS to 4.5.0.175, my battery has been dying twice as fast as it was before. I've read that this is a fairly common problem with the newer OS, so I was hoping to downgrade to the previous version. I have a Mac computer, and the only downgrade instructions I have been able to find involve getting Boot Camp on my computer. Does anyone know a less complicated way around this?
    06-29-10 08:24 AM
    If you have DM working on your Mac, follow the "How to downgrade your OS" instructions in Blackberry 101.
    06-29-10 08:31 AM
    It says this: "To start downgrading your operating system you'll need your BlackBerry, windows based (sorry mac users; get Bootcamp), and a USB cable to complete the downgrade process."

I was trying to avoid getting Boot Camp.
    06-29-10 08:43 AM
    That tutorial was created before DM for Mac came out, but it appears that DM for Mac only supports official OS upgrades from your carrier. Not 3rd party carrier upgrades and no downgrades. I did find this link which might help:How to Install Blackberry Beta OS With Mac Desktop Manager BerryManual.com
    06-29-10 09:00 AM
    This should be possible, even on a Mac.

Try this.

Uninstall all the other OSs from your Mac
    Make sure that Desktop Manager is working and connects to your phone
    Download and install the OS you wish to have on your phone
    Run Desktop Manager and connect your phone
    Backup your phone before you start this (I would do this even on a PC)
    Start the upgrade process.

If this does not work then go to a real PC that runs Windows and install Desktop Manager v4.6 (so that DM does not try to update anything)
    Repeat the above.

Using a real Windows PC is certainly the best option as we all know that it will work properly.
    06-29-10 09:13 AM
    Thank you for looking, but installing something unofficial like that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any experience with it?
    06-29-10 09:15 AM
    Thank you for looking, but installing something unofficial like that makes me a little nervous. Does anyone have any experience with it?
    It is not unofficial. On PCs, I have done this loads of times, >10 in any event. It will work fine.

The important thing is to do a Backup first. That way if it all falls apart all you do is to install a lter OS.

Absolut worst case is that you find a real PC and run CrackUtil, BBSAK or JL_Cmder and wipe your phoen and then reinstall.

I have really no idea what a Mac will do in these circumstances.

I know exactly what a PC will do.

You should maybe ask over in the Mac forum but the method I have described if simple and reliable. I am just unfamilair with Mac Desktop Manager.
    06-29-10 09:20 AM
    It is not unofficial. On PCs, I have done this loads of times, >10 in any event. It will work fine.

The important thing is to do a Backup first. That way if it all falls apart all you do is to install a lter OS.

Absolut worst case is that you find a real PC and run CrackUtil, BBSAK or JL_Cmder and wipe your phoen and then reinstall.

I have really no idea what a Mac will do in these circumstances.

I know exactly what a PC will do.

You should maybe ask over in the Mac forum but the method I have described if simple and reliable. I am just unfamilair with Mac Desktop Manager.
    I think he may have been referring to the link I included in my post.
    06-29-10 09:27 AM
    Sorry, that was in response to wnm's post.

Pete6: I don't think that will work on a Mac, as there is no way to uninstall an OS. I thought maybe there was a way to do it through DM. I think I will try to downgrade using my PC at work.

Thanks for the replies!
    06-29-10 09:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD