Well being a little bored this AM , i decided to try and connect my BB to my Macbook and see if i could send some of my photos to it *pearl* via bluetooth. I went through the setup assistant, and turned "off" using the phone as a modem. *i dont even know what that does or what it costs so i'd rather not lol*

The BB says my Mac is paired. My Mac says my BB is paired. Under connected it says NO (on my Mac). I went to my photos and tried to send one through bluetooth. It was a very small file because it was taken on a different mobile phone. It told me my "device did not have the necessary services" What does this mean?? What exactly does pairing the BB with my mac accomplish for me if i cant send anything to it? I guess i just need some guidance to know if i am wasting my time or not. Thank you in advance!!

EDIT:: I'm on a 2.16GHz Intel C2D; running Leopard. I don't know if that is pertinent information or not!
    Last edited by ShortStop51001; 05-03-08 at 09:16 AM.
    05-03-08 09:13 AM
    Think of being paired like creating an internet connection on your computer. You create the connection, but after that you still have to connect. My berry says I'm paired to my headset, but until I turn on the headset it's not connected. being paired means you have created the connection, now you need to connect. Where you are your computer as a paired device, click menu and select connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 09:23 AM
    I'm sorry i feel like a total goob, but i dont see a menu for that. I did a screen shot of what i see. I'm under "System Preferences" I have clicked "advanced" and did not see an option for this. The + or - only add or delete devices. Is this on the BB end or the Mac end?? And when it does actually connect, can i send files?

Here's a screenshot-

05-03-08 09:45 AM
    I'm sorry i feel like a total goob, but i dont see a menu for that. I did a screen shot of what i see. I'm under "System Preferences" I have clicked "advanced" and did not see an option for this. The + or - only add or delete devices. Is this on the BB end or the Mac end?? And when it does actually connect, can i send files?

Here's a screenshot-

Look under services in the screenshot.. you dont have a service there that supports file transfer. its possible that the phone / mac combination does not support file transfer. Most people trying to move files use the desktop manager but you need a PC for that. If your using a media card in your phone you can hook your phone up VIA a usb cable and move files to and from the phone that way, but I dont think its going to work VIA BT.
    05-03-08 09:55 AM
    Look under services in the screenshot.. you dont have a service there that supports file transfer. its possible that the phone / mac combination does not support file transfer. Most people trying to move files use the desktop manager but you need a PC for that. If your using a media card in your phone you can hook your phone up VIA a usb cable and move files to and from the phone that way, but I dont think its going to work VIA BT.
    That stinks. I have been moving files via media card reader usb style. Connecting the phone directly usb makes my mac crash and my BB crash. This is sad LOL OHHH well. I guess that solves that problem. Is it something i did or just compatibility between mac and BB?

Thank you for helping me
    05-03-08 10:06 AM
    That stinks. I have been moving files via media card reader usb style. Connecting the phone directly usb makes my mac crash and my BB crash. This is sad LOL OHHH well. I guess that solves that problem. Is it something i did or just compatibility between mac and BB?

Thank you for helping me
    Sounds like you have some sort of glitch... a MAC crashing (or having a kernel panic) is a little on the rare side. I would make sure you have all the latest updates and such or check the apple tech docs or forums. Apple - Support - Discussions - Forum Home is a great site and you can probably get alot of good info there.
    05-03-08 10:44 AM
    What I found that works is go to 'media' on BB.
    If its photos you want, go into 'pictures'
    select my pictures

then click the menu button and click 'recieve via bluetooth'.

Go up to your mac and click bluetooth and click send file.
    select your BB
    select send and then save it on your phone.

Works for ringtones too. Just need to figure out program and how to get those over... anyone???
    05-13-08 12:25 AM
    select my pictures

select your BB

Works for ringtones too. Just need to figure out program and how to get those over... anyone???
    Mr2Mike you have it right you have to set the BB to receive via bluetooth and then click the bluetooth icon on the MAC and send file that's all it should take. I transfered all my ringtones and some pictures that way.

Also if you have a media card installed you can just drag and drop if you set your BB as a mass media storage device.
    05-13-08 12:29 AM
    How do I get applications to do this too. Like Opera Mini? Do you know?
    05-13-08 01:31 AM
    Thanks Mr2Mike and ERDude! I didn't know you could do that. I have been trying to bluetooth files to and from my BB and I thought that it didn't work because Verizon disabled OBEX but I just did it and it worked! I was able to sync my address book one time and I don't even know how that worked.

@shortstop: currently Macs and BB's don't play nicely together, but there is news that they are working on a DM for Mac. And I would definitely look into your computer crashing when you plug your phone in....I plug mine in and it works fine.
    Last edited by mthomas1987; 05-13-08 at 02:04 AM.
    05-13-08 01:56 AM
    How do I get applications to do this too. Like Opera Mini? Do you know?
    I got Opera Mini by going to http://mini.opera.com on my phone and clicking download. It works even though it says unable to detect phone model.
    05-13-08 02:08 AM
    select my pictures

select your BB

Wow - thanks for this post! I was trying to figure out how to beam over some pictures and ringtones via BT, and this did the trick. I was able to send over some of the iChat message notifications for Jivetalk.

Two thumbs up for your post and all the other helpful responses on this great board. Thumbs down to RIM for making it harder than it needs to be, and for making me run windows to use desktop manager!
    05-22-08 08:21 PM
    my macbook says device does not have the necessary services what does this mean I have a bb tour 9630
    11-04-10 03:00 PM
    I've read the posts and comments on transferring music and pictures from blackberry to mac and vise versa. I have tried all of the suggestions and none of them seem to work for my blackberry 8330 with Sprint.

My mac still says it is not connected and I just don't know what to do.

As you can tell, I am so fed up with this process, I just don't know what to do

I hope someone can explain this process to me like a third grader and any help will be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Twan3000
    05-21-11 11:37 PM
    go to "open bluetooth preferences" on your mac. Get there by clicking the bluetooth icon at the top right. Then at the bottom of that dialogue box click "sharing setup." In there, check the appropriate boxes (file sharing, etc) and that should allow it to pair, connect and share.
    06-18-11 02:07 AM
    Had I known this was a Mac-UN-Friendly device, I would have NOT made the purchase, which, I might add, was a nightmare process in itself.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-11 12:11 PM
    ok i know that in today's world that these kinds of phones aren't very prevalent, but i have one and i see why it would be messing up after all its been through and its age but I've been having problems with it when it comes to blue tooth. Soooo.... me and my friend just paired our devices today and was working just fine. He sent a picture to me and it received just fine without any trouble. as soon as he left i tried sending him a picture and it said that it couldn't connect to his device. I am sure I had signal but I also paired it up with my sister's device and it said that it failed to connect with her device. Is it just time for my device to go? It is kinda old...... and the devices I have attempted to pair it with were pretty new.... SO what do I do?

thanks
    01-18-16 07:49 PM
    I had this message just now and can't find the connection cable to go from the BlackBerry Bold 9000 (brilliant phone imo) and the MacBook (brilliant computer!). The blue light was flashing and both seemed to recognise the other. What else did I have to do?

Quite by chance I went to media / pictures on the phone and click on the one I wanted to have on thecomputer. Then clicked the BB button on the phone and went to 'send' and then to the MacBook which was on the list. Hey presto. Job done. Necessary services?? Who the hell wrote that? Why not just explain how to do it?
    Last edited by pkcable; 04-11-16 at 09:20 AM. Reason: self promotion
    04-11-16 04:48 AM
    I agree with you more explanation would be helpful! Simple when you know what to do not so if you aren't familiar!
    10-26-16 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD