I was trying to update the software for my Pearl 8130 using desktop manager through parallels. Desktop manager doesn't see my phone when it is connected to my computer and it is switched over to Parallels (through USB connections). Also, the connection of my phone to parallels is intermittent, it says my phone is connected then it says its disconnected, connected, then disconnected, etc.
    I tried taking my phone to Verizon to see if they could update it, but they said I had to do it myself since it was a smartphone and the manufacturer sends the updates.

Anyone know how I can update my software? Is there a way to do it on the mac side?
    06-01-09 07:55 AM
    If you've ever installed Missing Sync or PocketMac, you need to disable them, as they both hijack the USB connection to the Berry.

Go to Activity Monitor and select "all processes". Filter by typing in Missing. You should have 3 processes. Kill them. Then do the same for PocketMac. Don't worry, the processes will start again when you run either of the programs.

Once you've disabled anything to do with Missing Sync or PocketMac or both, your USB connection should be fine.
    06-01-09 08:02 AM
    Parallels is not the program to use to install stuff on your BB. I have heard horror stories, I can get you a copy of VMWare Fusion if you want, when I had parallels, I used it to do that stuff, and most of the time it wouldn't work, so I switched over to Fusion.
    06-02-09 01:19 PM
    If you've ever installed Missing Sync or PocketMac, you need to disable them, as they both hijack the USB connection to the Berry.

Go to Activity Monitor and select "all processes". Filter by typing in Missing. You should have 3 processes. Kill them. Then do the same for PocketMac. Don't worry, the processes will start again when you run either of the programs.

Once you've disabled anything to do with Missing Sync or PocketMac or both, your USB connection should be fine.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I've been messing ALL DAY with this, hope I'd found your post earlier. That solved it!
    06-02-09 01:36 PM
    I tried stopping the processes related to PocketMac (I don't have Missing Sync on my computer) and it still didn't work. I was going to download the free-trial of VMWare Fusion but there isn't enought space left on my hard drive (I only have about 7GB left... time to upgrade!). My roommate has a PC so I am just going to ask her if I can upgrade my software that way.
    My pearl is definitely in need of an upgrade... its running 4.3.0.97 ah!

Once I get more space on my harddrive I'll definitely give VMware Fusion a try. My dad used to use parallels and I asked him about it last night and he said he has switched to that and likes it a lot better. I found a freeware called VirtualBox that does the same thing as parallels/VMWare... has anyone out there tried it?
    06-05-09 07:56 AM
    I've used VMware pretty much exclusively and it works great. Just installed Parallels 4 and it's decent, but I prefer VMware.

I've also got VirtualBox, but haven't tried using it yet. I'd imagine it would work ok, as the manufacturer has been doing virtualization for a long time.
    06-05-09 05:48 PM
    Hi,

I use Parallels all the time with DM and also to upgrade through beta a release BB OS.

You just have to set up Parallels to grab the BB device and not let MacOS. Very simple and is a menu option.
    06-10-09 06:17 PM
    Hi,

I use Parallels all the time with DM and also to upgrade through beta a release BB OS.

You just have to set up Parallels to grab the BB device and not let MacOS. Very simple and is a menu option.
    I tried selecting my blackberry under devices so MacOS doesn't use it. But it won't stay connected in windows, it connects then disconnects then connects again. Is that what you are talking about?
    Is there an easier way to get my blackberry recognized in windows?
    06-10-09 09:28 PM

Leave it to the users of CrackBerry to get me up and running! I've been syncing with MissingSync and just installed BB Desktop in Parallels last night and it worked then, but haven't been able to get it to since. Stopping those processes and it worked as expected in Parallels.

Thanks for that advice.
    03-10-10 08:23 PM
    I had problems with MissingSync (so much so that I regret paying for it) and I use Virtual Box for my virtual windows environment. Virtual Box is much much better than Parallels and it is free!
    03-15-10 07:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD