08-07-09 11:02 AM
45 12
tools
    i am looking around on the internet and see what i found.....this is directly off the blackberry.com page....all of us (Mac Users) are in luck.....finally in september we will be saved....hopefully......we can sync iTunes and all iCal and phonebooks.....i hope this works as good as it sounds.....

BlackBerry Desktop Software is coming to Mac in September!
    With BlackBerry Desktop Software you'll be able sync your iTunes playlists and personal information like contacts, tasks and appointments; install new software, games, and more. BlackBerry Desktop Software will offer the best of both worlds by allowing you to manage aspects of your BlackBerry smartphone from your Mac1.

BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac is coming soon in September. Sign up now to be the first to know when it’s available.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac
    07-26-09 11:50 AM
    You can do this all now, with the exception of updating the OS of your BB, with MissingSync 2.0.
    07-26-09 12:14 PM
    why should we (Mac Users) have to pay for something that should be free.....i am no poor man....but i already spent $2500 on a MacBook Pro and now i have to pay to sync my berry.....oh no.....i can't wait!!!
    07-26-09 12:24 PM
    It shall be a good day when this arrives.
    07-26-09 03:05 PM
    it's been waaaay to long. pretty much criminal of rim.
    07-27-09 08:30 PM
    It shall be a good day when this arrives.
    a very good day!
    07-27-09 09:11 PM
    why should we (Mac Users) have to pay for something that should be free.....i am no poor man....but i already spent $2500 on a MacBook Pro and now i have to pay to sync my berry.....oh no.....i can't wait!!!
    I know the feeling. I have the OS X 10.5.7 and I found out the most terrible thing about technology is their compatibility. I download the PocketMac and I read the users guide first. It seems pretty easy reading the manual. When I actually did it I somehow gotten a virus and had to do a "reset to default factory settings" 2x. I don't what I did wrong but the first time deleted my BBM. Now when I did it the second time I had to go to my grandfather's computer and resync it to his comp. It had virus galore. Very nerve wracking. Now that my BB is back to its original settings. All my contacts are gone. What do you suggest????
    07-28-09 03:07 AM
    it's coming out in september wooo hoo

BlackBerry - BlackBerry for Mac
    07-28-09 09:36 PM
    Actually I have NEVER heard of a virus on a Mac. That is extremely rare. Actually you will be one of the fist people ever. Only about 100 Macs have ever had a virus in the history of Mac. Now do you run windows on your Mac too. That may be where it came from. I just can't believe a Mac has received a virus from BlackBerry Pocket Mac.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 11:19 AM
    Macs can (and have) received viruses. The rate of occurence will increase with the growing popularity of Macs. The good news, though, is -- with the amazing securing of RIM and a bit of Mac-common sense, you won't have a problem.

07-30-09 08:52 PM
    There are no viruses on Mac. There are TROJANS, such as the iWork trojan, where you had to navigate to a file on the internet, donwload it, open it, and give it your password to be infected. There are no self-replicating (viruses) nasties on OSX. And that is the real difference on security. You can do everything right on Windows (except use the native browser) and still get infected if a website you visit is infected. On Mac, you have to ignore all security protocols in order to install a trojan.

(For the record, I have used Windows for 15 years as well, and I can count the number of viruses I've had on 2 fingers, so I don't really understand all the worry about Windows security, either. Seems like if you stay away from Outlook and IE you are 99% safe on Windows, too, so I am in no way trying to ridicule the security of that OS.)

People are dying to infect Macs and constantly jump up and down claiming they have done something to break the OS security, but when you dig in to the story you find the truth. Case in point, there is an article out today claiming a new security threat against Macs, but when you read the details you see that in order to be vulnerable to it, you would have to have already installed the iWork trojan, meaning you downloaded pirated software and gave it your password.

Bottom line, if you use your brain I don't think you are all that susceptible to trojans and viruses on either OS.

Here is a good look at Mac Malware. Read it!

The Mac Malware Myth — RoughlyDrafted Magazine
    07-31-09 01:30 PM
    I will believe in DM for Mac AFTER it is up and running. I've been hearing coming soon for a couple of years now.
    yawn
    07-31-09 03:18 PM
    That is exactly (well in other words) what I was going to say. Macs are virtually virus free. The largest virus outbreak was in the late 80s or early 90s and it infected a total of 50 macs world wide. I don't understand how you can honestly say that you received a virus on a Mac, I think the story is fabricated.

Last edited by Mastermind171; 07-31-09 at 04:27 PM.
    07-31-09 04:21 PM
    You can do this all now, with the exception of updating the OS of your BB, with MissingSync 2.0.
    Not so much. I just returned my copy of Missing Sync after spending 2 weeks back and forth with Missing Sync Tech support. Don't understand why it's so hard to simply sync iCal and Address Book. They finally gave up and agreed to give me my money back. I tried Missing Sync for Palm many years ago too. That was frustrating too.

Anyway, looking forward to a sync program that works.

Best,
    NYB
    08-01-09 04:21 PM
    I will believe in DM for Mac AFTER it is up and running. I've been hearing coming soon for a couple of years now.
    yawn
    very true, but if it does work just like i'm used to using DM on a pc the i'm going to be very happy. but until then i'll just continue to wait
    08-01-09 11:28 PM
    I know the feeling. I have the OS X 10.5.7 and I found out the most terrible thing about technology is their compatibility. I download the PocketMac and I read the users guide first. It seems pretty easy reading the manual. When I actually did it I somehow gotten a virus and had to do a "reset to default factory settings" 2x. I don't what I did wrong but the first time deleted my BBM. Now when I did it the second time I had to go to my grandfather's computer and resync it to his comp. It had virus galore. Very nerve wracking. Now that my BB is back to its original settings. All my contacts are gone. What do you suggest????
    You did not get a virus. There are no viruses "in the wild" for Macs.

Whatever happened, it was NOT a virus.

Most likely is that PocketMac cr*pped out on you, which is usually the case, sadly.

Eagerly awaiting September, even if it means the twilight of the "summer" season (which hasn't started yet here in Ontario).
    08-01-09 11:40 PM
    See.....I knew all you Mac lovers would stand strong.....to hear someone spilling propaganda about getting viruses on a Mac is unheard of....and to claim 2 of them........bah........hypocrisy.........
    08-02-09 07:33 PM
    See.....I knew all you Mac lovers would stand strong.....to hear someone spilling propaganda about getting viruses on a Mac is unheard of....and to claim 2 of them........bah........hypocrisy.........
    Not hypocrisy, impossible. That's a fact. There are NO viruses for Mac "in the wild". Period. End of story.

However, that will probably change in the next few years, as more people leave the mess that is Windoze.

Thing is, OS/X is UNIX based. Hard to crack UNIX.
    08-02-09 08:41 PM
    You should clean your keyboard. I think your period key is sticking.
    08-02-09 10:53 PM
    I'll say it again. There are those who have devised ways to place software on Macs to intercept their internet activities, including e-mail. Small, possibly growing number.
    08-02-09 11:02 PM
    I'll say it again. There are those who have devised ways to place software on Macs to intercept their internet activities, including e-mail. Small, possibly growing number.
    Yes, but that isn't done through a virus, it is done through social engineering. It requires the user to download something they shouldn't and give it root access, which includes telling it your password. It is nothing like using Windows, where you can catch self-replicating things with no interaction on your part, and never know it. There are no viruses on Mac, and to be infected with a trojan you must do something stupid and ignore all security warnings and protocols. To catch a nasty on Windows, you have to boot up.
    Last edited by SaraBear; 08-02-09 at 11:47 PM.
    08-02-09 11:45 PM
    Further, even if someone COULD get access to your computer through virus type activity, they couldn't harm it other than deleting a few files (which can easily be restored if you have backups/Time Machine). They can't harm the OS, because the OS is in a separated layer.
    08-02-09 11:50 PM
    You did not get a virus. There are no viruses "in the wild" for Macs.
    While I agree that it most likely wasn't a virus I can attest there are virus' in the wild. There was an article on TUAW a while back about how a popular torrent of Office for Mac (or was it iWorks 09) had a virus in it.

It's definitely very very uncommon, and usually localized to specific stuff, but they're out there.

Anyhow I am psyched for an OS X version of DM so I can finally stop using my PC to update (I'm always on my Macbook Pro and really only use my PC for gaming) and having to kick my wife off to do it...lol.

D.
    08-03-09 01:03 AM
    Missingsync is the easiest I used
    08-03-09 01:54 AM
    While I agree that it most likely wasn't a virus I can attest there are virus' in the wild. There was an article on TUAW a while back about how a popular torrent of Office for Mac (or was it iWorks 09) had a virus in it.
    It was iWork, and it was a trojan, not a virus. You had to consciously install it yourself and enter your password for it to work. That's a trojan. A virus acts on its own without interaction from the user. There are no Mac viruses.
    08-03-09 10:05 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD