Hi all,

I have recently moved from the Eastern to the Pacific timezone. I'm trying to get some info on what the cleanest, most hassle free way is to update my timezones between my BB and my Mac. I have a BB Pearl 8130, and the latest version of iCal and OSX Leopard on my Mac. I use Missing Sync to sync my data. I currently have timezone support DIS-abled in iCal. Is it as simple as just resetting the Mac and the BB to PST? I've tried this before and it was a nightmare as all my calendar events shifted by the difference between the timezones and pain fixing it all. That's one of the reasons I have timezone support dis-abled in iCal. I also know that the BB is pretty picky about how it handles timezones, especially if you change your timezone and that the BB does not automatically update it's time off of the local carrier. (I think it's insane that it doesn't do this but that's the way it is.) So does anyone have any pointers on clean ways to do this without having my existing calendar events all shift by 3 hours? I'd prefer input from those who have actually dealt with this rather than just kind hearted folks trying to be helpful thanks.
    11-19-08 02:36 AM
    I have also messed up my Mac calendar in the way you describe while away on a trip with my BB and Mac laptop. I never figured it out and also look forward to Mac/BB power user tips on this topic.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 07:16 AM
    I was using PocketMac.. No thread hijack intended..Carry on..

11-19-08 07:18 AM
    I've never used iCal, but changing your time zone really is just as simple as changing the setting in your BlackBerry. If you have an appointment on your calendar for 3:00 pm ET, and you change your time zone to PT, that appt will show as Noon PT. There's no error in that. You should expect your appointments to change times as the time zone changes, because the appointments are made in a specific time zone.

See the Time Zone Issues link in my sig for more worked out examples.
    11-19-08 07:58 AM
    I've reviewed your (extensive) Time Zone posts in your link and I'm firmly in the contrarian position here. I strongly dislike how RIM has implemented the use of time zones. I'd much rather manage this aspect myself than rely on the device to do it and I don't think the extra steps of having to add time zone to each and every appointment is efficient. It's particularly bad if you have come to the BB with hundreds of events in your calendar only to discover that they all need to have time zone data added to them thanks to this "feature" of RIM's.

I ran into this for the first time in January just after migrating to my first BB. I had travelled from EST to PST and had a nightmare getting my BB and laptop times correct without messing up my calendar. never worked it out but I was only away for a few days. However this time I'm away for 5 weeks minimum and am looking for a better solution.

Fundamentally my issue is that changing the time zone on the BB shifts all of my appointments by the difference between the old and new time zone. This is even without any time zone data entered into iCal as it has the ability to turn time zone support on or off (something that RIM should offer IMHO). What I'm trying to determine is, if I change the laptop time zone to my new location (PST) AND I change the BB to this same time zone, will all my appointments still change by 3 hours (the difference from my old time zone (EST) when I sync, or will they be seen as the same time zone since both devices are now set to be in the same time zone and therefore there would be no compensating, RIM induced shift. Perhaps I may have to set Missing Sync to overwrite the handheld on that first sync but I'm cool with that.

Or is there some other combination that ensures the event times remain consistent?
    11-19-08 10:33 AM
    ...Fundamentally my issue is that changing the time zone on the BB shifts all of my appointments by the difference between the old and new time zone. This is even without any time zone data entered into iCal as it has the ability to turn time zone support on or off (something that RIM should offer IMHO). What I'm trying to determine is, if I change the laptop time zone to my new location (PST) AND I change the BB to this same time zone, will all my appointments still change by 3 hours (the difference from my old time zone (EST) when I sync, or will they be seen as the same time zone since both devices are now set to be in the same time zone and therefore there would be no compensating, RIM induced shift. Perhaps I may have to set Missing Sync to overwrite the handheld on that first sync but I'm cool with that.

Or is there some other combination that ensures the event times remain consistent?
    Yes. Appointments will change to the new time zone on both the BlackBerry and Outlook. There is no work-around for that, simply because all appointments have a default time zone that's applied by Outlook and there is no "Local Time Zone." Event times will remain consistent: 3:00pm ET is and always will be Noon PT. It's neither reasonable nor consistent to expect a 3:00pm ET appointment to still show as 3:00pm when you're in PT.

I've never used a Mac, so I'm not familiar with iCal. As you've probably already noticed, RIM doesn't provide the same level of integration for Mac users as they do PC users, so that's an additional source of possible problems that I can't help you with.
    11-19-08 11:00 AM
    In iCal you can turn on/off time zone support. It is in the preferences>advanced

11-19-08 03:44 PM
    JeffH - Thanks for the comments but since I am a Mac user and use iCal it's not really pertinent what Outlook does (Outlook isn't even available for Mac BTW). And yes I know that RIM's Mac integration/support sucks. It is possible that iCal does act the same way as Outlook even with time zone support turned off in iCal. My point is that I'd like 3pm to be 3pm - not 3pm ET or 3pm PT, just 3pm - time zone neutral if you will. I know that the BB doesn't work this way which is why I'm looking for input from Mac users who may have had to deal with this themselves.

WFLDEng636 - As I mentioned in my OP, I already have time zone support turned off in iCal preferences.

I'm not trying to be a **** with this reply but I'd rather have input from Mac users who have dealt with this issue specifically.
    11-19-08 11:11 PM
    So I've discovered that iCal in OSX 10.5 works the same way as the BB does, even if you have time zone support turned off. Change your Mac's time zone in sys prefs and all your iCal events change as well - even if time zone support is off. The previous version of iCal did not do this.

So what I have ended up doing is leaving the time zones on my Mac and BB set as EST and manually changing the time on each to be correct to PST. So far so good but it's a lousy way to handle this issue in my opinion.
    11-30-08 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD