Both my wife and I just got 8130 Pearls and just installed 2GB media cards. We were unable to see the media cards in Finder or on the desktop and someone suggested I format the card using Disk Utility. I did that and the card appeared on the desktop. It appears the idea of using Disk Utility to format the card is not a good idea. The card repeatedly crashes. I have now reformatted the card in the Blackberry and it is working again but once again, I cannot see the card in Finder and it does not mount to the desktop but it is visible in Disk Utility.

I have checked that the Mass Storage Mode Support is set to "On" and the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is set to "Yes".

When the USB cable is plugged into the phone, there is a message at the bottom of the media card option screen that says, "The media card is not available because Mass Storage Mode is currently in use." That tells me that the Mac sees the card but it won't mount.

I've looked through the other posts here and it seems that most people are able to mount the card when formatted by the phone so I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

David

P.S. My wife and I have the same issues on our respective Macs. Mine is a G5 iMac and hers is a G4 iBook.
    Last edited by dschwartzer; 02-14-08 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Added Mac computer types.
    02-14-08 08:36 PM
    Both my wife and I just got 8130 Pearls and just installed 2GB media cards. We were unable to see the media cards in Finder or on the desktop and someone suggested I format the card using Disk Utility. I did that and the card appeared on the desktop. It appears the idea of using Disk Utility to format the card is not a good idea. The card repeatedly crashes. I have now reformatted the card in the Blackberry and it is working again but once again, I cannot see the card in Finder and it does not mount to the desktop but it is visible in Disk Utility.

I have checked that the Mass Storage Mode Support is set to "On" and the Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected is set to "Yes".

When the USB cable is plugged into the phone, there is a message at the bottom of the media card option screen that says, "The media card is not available because Mass Storage Mode is currently in use." That tells me that the Mac sees the card but it won't mount.

I've looked through the other posts here and it seems that most people are able to mount the card when formatted by the phone so I must be doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

David

P.S. My wife and I have the same issues on our respective Macs. Mine is a G5 iMac and hers is a G4 iBook.
    Not sure about the G4 or G5, but with Leopard there is a know issue with the Pearl. Seems you cannot use the Pearl in Mass Media mode or the Pearl will lock up and reboot. The only way to use I was able to use/see the card was in a card reader. I'm looking into the possibility of seeing and transferring via BlueTooth. I know this doesn't pertain directly to your problem due to the fact of your Mac's OS, but it might be something to look at.
    02-14-08 08:52 PM
    Thanks for the prompt reply. We are both running Leopard so perhaps that is it. It's interesting that so many others on these forums are not having issues. It's hard to believe none of them are running Leopard.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-08 09:00 PM
    02-14-08 09:04 PM
    I've got a BB 8830 and a Mac running OS10.4.2. Can't figure out how to get music onto my BB at all even though I have memory card?
    02-16-08 05:31 PM
    I'm running 10.3.9, so I know it's an older OS, but I took my MicroSD out of my BB and put it into a card reader. From there, I added whatever ringtones I wanted into the BB ringtone folder and then put the SD card back into my BB. It read my ringtones without any problems.
    02-16-08 05:42 PM
    Thanks! Any specific kind of card reader (for Mac e.g.)?
    02-16-08 06:44 PM
    Thanks! Any specific kind of card reader (for Mac e.g.)?
    I purchased a SansDisk reader with a microSD disk and an adapter. The reader can handle the SD with and without the adapter.

It plugs directly into one of the USB ports on my computer.
    02-16-08 06:53 PM
    SanDisk has a slick adapter that let's you plug a micro SD right into a usb port. comes with some SanDisk cards from shop crackberry
    02-28-08 07:54 PM
    & how much did you pay for it approx?

SanDisk ImageMate 5-in-1 Reader/Writer

* For superior transfer of data, pictures, music and more
    * Accepts SecureDigital (SD) cards, MultiMedia cards (MMC), Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, and xD Picture cards
    * USB 2.0, backwards compatible with USB 1.1
    * Separate reader and docking station
    * Transfer, print, email and display images with the touch of a button
    * Certified Windows XP and Mac OS X compatible.
    02-29-08 05:20 PM
    I pick up this one. 4gig card and reader.
    It doesn't show it in the picture, but if you read it, it does come with a MicroMate USB card reader. Works great on my MacBook Pro. On sale to for $50.
    SanDisk - 4GB microSD High Capacity Memory Card - SDSDQ-4096
    02-29-08 08:42 PM
    Hi all-
    I have a G5 iMac & a BB 8130. The Mac is running OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). I can plug in the BB via USB & (with the BB in mass storage mode) see it on my desktop. I can open the folders & transfer music, ringers, pictures, etc. Just thought I'd let you know...
    03-04-08 12:09 PM
    Hi all-
    I have a G5 iMac & a BB 8130. The Mac is running OS 10.4.11 (Tiger). I can plug in the BB via USB & (with the BB in mass storage mode) see it on my desktop. I can open the folders & transfer music, ringers, pictures, etc. Just thought I'd let you know...
    Lucky! Seems there is an issue doing this with OS X10.5 Leopard. It locks up the phone in Mass Media Storage mode.
    03-04-08 01:03 PM
    Yes. well that is because 10.5 will run windows. And we all know what that means! just kidding.....
    03-04-08 06:47 PM
    I just put a 4GB card into my Pearl a few days ago... I had no problem using the mass-storage I was using my MacBook running 10.4.11, I transfered a couple hundred MB of music over no prob. That day I also upgraded my MacBook to 10.5.2 then tried to connect my BB back up to move more files to it and guess what it didn't mount!

So the moral of this story is its 10.5... just doesn't work with BB, but the PocketMac for blackberry still works for syncing!
    03-19-08 01:33 AM
    puregrfx...you can always use a USB media card reader to transfer you music directly onto the media card. It works really easy!
    03-19-08 01:48 AM
    I am having the same problem, yet I run Tiger on my ibook
    04-24-08 05:17 PM
    Seeing the SD media card on the desktop on the Mac, OSX 10.4.11:
    I wasn't able to see the card on my desktop although knew I had done it before. Finally took the battery out and put it back in to reset whatever that resets, and then connected to my Mac and the card mounted on my desktop so I could quickly transfer all my photos to my computer.
    06-07-08 02:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD