When I plug my Bold into my Mac Mini using the supplied usb cable it does not show on my desktop. However when I remove the media card and plug it directly into my usb port using a card reader it does show up on my desktop (as Blackberry2). But I want to just do everything directly via my usb cable instead of manually taking my media card out and using the card reader every time I want to add music, vids, pics etc. My memory settings on my BB are media support ON, mass storage mode support ON, Auto Enable Mass Storage When Connected Prompt (tho I've tried On too). I've also tried re-formatting the media card without success. Any help will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by rover24; 02-27-09 at 05:39 PM.
    02-27-09 04:56 PM
    I use a 17" PowerBook G4, but ...

When you plug in, you should see two volumes in Finder - one for the phone system and one for the card. Are you not seeing the two volumes?
    02-27-09 11:56 PM
    Yeah I should be seeing Blackberry 1 & 2 but unfortunately it just doesn't seem to be reading at all so I see neither! I have tried it on friend's Macs too and it doesn't show up either so I'm pretty sure something needs adjusting on the device.
    02-28-09 08:52 AM
    try using DoubleTwist for mac
    02-28-09 12:24 PM
    Downloading DoubleTwist now. Will try it out and let you know, thanks.
    02-28-09 01:04 PM
    Unfortunately DoubleTwist doesn't pick it up either. It is definitely connecting as it charges through the usb cable but for some reason it is just not communicating, very frustrating! So still the only way I can add files to my Bold is to remove the media card and plug it directly into the usb slot with a card reader.
    02-28-09 02:31 PM
    Do you have mass media storage enabled?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 06:53 PM
    Yeah mass media storage enabled.
    02-28-09 07:22 PM
    Rover:

What OS are you using?
    02-28-09 09:48 PM
    OS X Leopard v10.5.6
    02-28-09 10:02 PM
    Sorry ... I should have been clearer.

What BB OS are you using?
    02-28-09 10:05 PM
    v4.6.0.162
    02-28-09 10:07 PM
    OK.

Keep in mind, I'm not a techno / BB "wizard", but ...

Your problem may be .162. I'm going to suggest that you upgrade your BB OS to something above .200. I was on .167 for about three days. I have always used something above .200 and never had any - not one - problem with USB connection.

Just a thought.

If that does not solve the problem or if for some reason you don't want to upgrade, head over to the CB Mac Users forum and post the issue there - maybe someone can help more.
    Last edited by taddley; 02-28-09 at 10:16 PM.
    02-28-09 10:14 PM
    Thanks Taddley, I'll give the upgrade a shot and hope for the best then if no joy I'll try the Mac forum.
    02-28-09 10:29 PM
    Ok. Just make sure you do your homework first.

There are huge resources here for upgrades.
    02-28-09 10:46 PM
    Hey man. Just to throw in 2 more cents. I was able to use mine with the preloaded os which was 160. So it might not be an OS thing. Just to keep in mind. Still try all your options. Last resort, something aint right with that phone and there is alway the exchange policy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-28-09 11:07 PM
    Thanks for the advice. Been checking around the forums regarding OS and as I'm UK based I don't believe there are currently any upgrade options for me. Starting to fear it is a faulty device, may have to get a replacement Bold!
    02-28-09 11:13 PM
    Not sure I get what you're saying.

I think there are plenty of UK folks here that have upgraded their Bold OS above .200. Anyway, good luck with it, Rover.

And, Jtrick, were you using Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5)? Might make a difference.
    02-28-09 11:20 PM
    Sorry Taddley I'm new at this, only had a BB for a week! Where would be the best place to download my new Bold OS upgrade from? I am aware I can't download it direct using the wireless upgrade function and I thought that the OS settings would be different on the US versions of the OS. Do I download it onto my Mac first and if so, how do I transfer it to my Bold when my device won't connect to my mac? Thanks for your help.
    02-28-09 11:41 PM
    Sorry Taddley I'm new at this, only had a BB for a week! Where would be the best place to download my new Bold OS upgrade from? I am aware I can't download it direct using the wireless upgrade function and I thought that the OS settings would be different on the US versions of the OS. Do I download it onto my Mac first and if so, how do I transfer it to my Bold when my device won't connect to my mac? Thanks for your help.
    No apology necessary.

Place to download - forget this until you do your homework here at CB. This will become obvious to you once you complete the reading.

OS settings, US v. UK - no difference. There are couple of "official" upgrades and a few betas. Whichever one you choose, after the homework, will require that you remove the vendor file. That is essentially where your concerns on this will be eliminated. I suggest .237 and below. I had really good experience with .217. Many people say that .216 was better. But, again, you'll figure all this out *after* you do the homework.

Don't even think about doing a BB OS upgrade on your Mac. You'll need access to a PC and BB Desktop Manager (DM) 4.6. No matter what anyone tells you, stick with DM 4.6 for the Bold. Period.

It probably sounds like a big deal. But if you read through an entire Bold upgrade thread (will take you maybe 30 minutes to an hour) you'll feel a lot better. There are a lot of really competent people here that will guide you through.
    02-28-09 11:58 PM
    Sound advice. I'll read up and decide on what to do next. Thanks again.
    03-01-09 12:15 AM
    Can't get any PC access at all so looks like a software upgrade is not an option for me. Any other suggestions please?
    03-03-09 05:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD