I know that Mac tethering is not supported by the various providers but I have used the work around found here and have gotten connected. Problem is is the connection doesn't last. I find my self having to disconnect and reconnect continuously. Sometimes I have to reboot my Mac to fully disconnect.

I've tethered with an AT&T Curve, VZW 8830 and currently a Storm so it doesn't appear to be specific to a particular BB.

I'm not comfortable editing system files to add a script to tether via USB, unless it's seemless and ultra easy.

Is there a fix to this connectivity issue?
    03-27-09 09:26 AM
    Im on the same boat. Specially when im downloading files. I can't download in peace! It sucks because my download speeds start off super high and within a minute they all go down to zero causing me to disconnect and reconnect. Is no one else having this problem on a Macbook?
    04-09-09 12:38 AM
    Do either of you have a data-tethering plan with VZW? I have a colleague who tethers often (I do not as I have a data card), he does not have a tethering plan. He says that when downloading semi-large files (>10Mb) VZW seems to figure out that it is not normal BB traffic and throttles or terminates his data session.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
    04-09-09 07:49 AM
    Do either of you have a data-tethering plan with VZW? I have a colleague who tethers often (I do not as I have a data card), he does not have a tethering plan. He says that when downloading semi-large files (>10Mb) VZW seems to figure out that it is not normal BB traffic and throttles or terminates his data session.

Just a thought.

Good luck!
    Yes i sure do! I'm paying 30 bucks for the tethering on top of the 30 bucks for email data plan from verizon. Anyone else having this problem? Someone has gotta know a fix!
    04-14-09 04:21 PM
    I tether in class with mt 4.5 Curve and my OS X 10.5 Leopard MBP. I tether using BT and I stay connected for an hour, pretty consistently. I was also connected yesterday for 3 hours with no interruptions. I do not have a tethering plan with Sprint. I just use plain OS X preferences to do the trick. I'm not sure what your guys' issues are. Mine works fine.
    04-14-09 11:05 PM
    I tether my storm with my MBP running leopard 10.5 with all the latest updates, I have the tethering package and downloaded VZAccess Manager for the MOTO Q and it works great!
    04-15-09 08:55 PM
    I have the exact same problem.

Tethering using BT a 8830 to a macbook pro, followed all the instructions on the video tutorial. i DO have a tethering plan from VZN

I have 2 current issues:
    -tethered connection dies intermittently, sometimes randomly, almost always when im trying to download files
    -tethering seems to "rot the brain" of my 8830. After a long session, the 8830 will be VERY unresponsive/slow to respond until i reboot it.

Any suggestions anyone?

Im running 4.2 software- but i cant upgrade its a corporate thing.
    04-16-09 05:39 AM
    I have no tethering plan, but unlimited data... followed instructions on perishable press and got my 8900 to tether via bt fine. stay connected for hours...

It use to drop, but i played around with a few settings and got it too work with no problems.

TIP: make sure once you've configured it, you lock the settings in the network pref menu. I think this may have been my problem, it was like my mac was detecting something funny going on after a few minutes of connection, sometimes up to 15-20min then just disconnected... But when i locked my settings it worked. I'm at work using a pc so I can't post up my configurations, but from memory i believe its set as network: automatic, modem: Bluetooth or something like that...
    04-22-09 06:31 AM
    Would be great if you could post your "settings tweaks" as id love to get this resolved...

so far my solution has been to use VZaccess manager (the windows based verizon supplied software) to do a wired tether from within a virtual windows machine (vmware fusion). This works great- much faster, and very reliable.

The downside is while this network works within the windows VM, i have not been able to share the network "outwards" to the mac that is hosting this setup. So works for browsing the net, but things like itunes are of course cludgey.
    04-22-09 08:15 AM
    I have the same problem, configured and locked, still not syncing. So if anyone can help it would be great!
    04-25-09 07:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD