I am looking to replace my Motorola Razr with a BlackBerry Storm and was wondering how well BlackBerries play with OSX? This will be a personal phone so I won't have access to a BES and will most likely use BIS for email. I'd really like to get OTA synchronization of my calendar and contacts, but I will settle for USB or BlueTooth Synchronization. What are my options for a personal Storm without BES using OSX?
    11-19-08 01:25 PM
    You have two options, PocketMac, which is free, and MissingSync $40.00. I think PM is in beta with the Storm and MS says it is compatible. Both MS and PM are having issuse with the new PB and they say they should have a fix shortly.

They play OK toghther. If you have the same person in two different groups in your address book, PM screws it up. The groups do not trasnfer into the BB. For example I have about a dozen groups in my Address Book, dive team, saftey committee, CPR committee, ect. I cannot email the group from my BB, I have to create another group in the device to get that funtionality.

The calendar can be tricky with PM with reoccuring appointments. But there are work arounds for that. Overall it's OK, supposidly RIM is comming out with Mac desktop software Q1 of 09.

If you are thinking about OTA you will have to get a hosted BES, which is about $20.00 per month. Most of them include a copy of Entourage. Personally I have been looking very heavily at an iPhone, just because of the short comings of the BB when it comes to a Mac. I can pay $69.00 per year for a MobileMe account and get push with full sync and IMAP folders. I don't have to wait for PM and MS to figure out their software does not work with a new OS or hardware.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 03:26 PM
    It really does seem like RIM has ignored MAC for a while. Which is unfortunate since I am also thinking about getting an iPhone or some other device that has support for OSX.
    11-19-08 03:39 PM
    I hear ya. They have also ignored BIS users in general. RIM just gave us push about 6 months ago. Everybody b**ches about Apple, but the phone has been very succesful in a short time period. They have also once again raised the bar on electronic devices. One year after Apple comes out with the iPhone they have push. I've been using a BB for five years and just got push. Apple introduces BES type funtionality for a reasonable price. If I want that with a BB I have to go to a third party hosted BES

Granted this is two different business models working here. Each device has it's + and -'s. You have to figure out what is the deal breaker. Apple is not perfect, for example, you can accept an invitation but you cannot send one, huh??? No cut, copy and paste, features you would think would be a no brainer. Part of the reason is that the iPhone is not menu driven, the BB is. For a first try at a smart phone they have done really well in a short period of time. And they have everybody rethinlking mobile devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-08 04:04 PM
    i wish i could get a storm on t-mobile
    11-20-08 01:54 AM
    Hey WFLDEng636, do you know who offers the best hosted BES? You seem to have an excellent grasp on the BB - OSX relationship. I have a new MBP and am very tired of sync problems. The tiniest thing changes and sync no longer works. I have no problem paying a monthly fee if indeed OTA sync will WORK.
    11-20-08 10:42 PM
    I appreciate the compliment. I do not use a BES because you have to use Entourage. I tried setting Entourage up a couple of times, and it is a pain, IMO. When I did get it set up I often had problems, so I ditched it to go back to the Apple apps. Even though Entourage is a Microsoft app and is exchange friendly it STILL does not give Mac users all the functionality that Windows users enjoy (ARRRRG).

I did some heavy research on hosted BES this summer. You have to be really careful about what is included. The mailbox space seems to be very tiny. Some services want you to point your MX record to it, or it will not work properly. Some say you can just forward your mail to them, do not leave a copy on the server and it will work fine. Some support Mac, most don't, some unofficially support it. I researched so many companies I can't remember who I was considering. You can go to Blackberry Forums.com and they have sponsors.

BlackBerryForums.com Sponsors - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community
    I started there and look at them then I searched the forums for peoples opinion and researched those companies.

There is also another option, NotifyLink Notify Technology – On Premise and On Demand Mobility Solution
    This service only works with some email clients. I tried it and hated it, they have made some improvements over the last year, but not enough to get me to try it again. But there are some major companies that use it.

And finally, this is why I am considering switching to the iPhone. You know the syncing is going to be good. I already have MobileMe, no extra expenditure there. My friend who runs three X-servers uses Kerio email client. Kerio now has iPhone exchange syncing, so now when I send and email out of the iPhone, the email address will either be my business email or mobileme, just like the BB. And the cool part is no extra money for that feature. The only thing I have to get over is AT&T's service.
    11-20-08 11:40 PM
    Right now the Storm does not play nice with PocketMac out of the box. I haven't gotten it to work / gotten it to recognize that I even have a Blackberry plugged in.

Maybe it'll get fixed in the future but right now Storm is PC only desktop syncing!
    11-21-08 01:58 PM
    I am looking to replace my Motorola Razr with a BlackBerry Storm and was wondering how well BlackBerries play with OSX? This will be a personal phone so I won't have access to a BES and will most likely use BIS for email. I'd really like to get OTA synchronization of my calendar and contacts, but I will settle for USB or BlueTooth Synchronization. What are my options for a personal Storm without BES using OSX?
    You can do over the air sync with Google Sync now. They just added Contact Syncing. They also have the calendar app which works great. I used this for a while, now I am using Missing Sync. Although, now that you can do contact syncing through google, I am thinking about going back so I don't have to remember to plug in my phone to sync.

Google Mobile - Sync
    11-22-08 10:30 AM
    for what its worth, with my curve I used to have, I had to plug in BB before I "clicked" on PM for it to work.

I agree with archer 823, storm and mac are not getting along. Maybe if all mac users can email PM to have them work on this issue faster. We might be stuck getting Missing Sync, if anyone is interested in a group purchase I'll send an email to them
    Last edited by 808bb; 11-22-08 at 11:59 AM. Reason: add more information
    11-22-08 11:55 AM
    You can do over the air sync with Google Sync now. They just added Contact Syncing. They also have the calendar app which works great. I used this for a while, now I am using Missing Sync. Although, now that you can do contact syncing through google, I am thinking about going back so I don't have to remember to plug in my phone to sync.

Google Mobile - Sync
    Just a word of caution, keep an eye on your memory. Google played nice with my 8830 for about 4 months. Then it started to leak memory like crazy. I started to delete my call log, and right down the pecking order to free up memory. I finally had to delete it because the BB became so unstable.
    11-22-08 03:10 PM
    Missing Sync, even though it is not free, is leaps and bounds better than PocketMac, in my opinion. And I'm also seeing reports out there that it syncs properly with the latest models of MacBook / MacBook Pro after applying the firmware update that Apple released this week. Mine is working, at least, syncing properly with my Storm
    12-12-08 12:14 AM
    is anyone else having issues with syncing Missing Sync and storm and having problems with the contacts sometimes syncing properly and sometimes not??
    12-13-08 01:57 PM
    I am using Missing Sync to sync my Storm and I have had no issues with contacts at all. The only issue I have is sometimes Missing Sync does not update my music if I add new files to a playlist. I have to just reset sync history and everything works fine.
    12-13-08 02:13 PM
    thanks mike
    12-13-08 02:44 PM
    [QUOTE=nmeredith13;1019098]You can do over the air sync with Google Sync now. They just added Contact Syncing. They also have the calendar app which works great. I used this for a while, now I am using Missing Sync. Although, now that you can do contact syncing through google, I am thinking about going back so I don't have to remember to plug in my phone to sync.

And then get spanning sync which syncs with ical. There is a small charge for spanning sync but you can do a free limited trial to see if it is worth it - It solved my problems with pocketmac (sucks because it is unreliable) and missing sync (sucks a bit more because you pay for it and it is unreliable)
    12-13-08 03:02 PM
    just got a storm and new to blackberry, where do I get missing sync as I am a mac user
    12-13-08 05:44 PM
    I am not allowed to post links being a "newbie" The company is markspace - google it for missingsync
    12-14-08 12:03 PM
    I just got my Storm yesterday, and tried Pocketmac, that was a joke, I had missing sync from Mark Space for my Q, just went and bought the same for the BB. LOVE IT... I have a MBP and it's flawless...
    12-18-08 08:23 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I am way new to this BB storm stuff let alone connecting it to my MAC Book. I have down loaded the pocket mac to my computer but do i need to down load something to my storm? I can't seem to sync, computer says its lost its connection. Also i am unable to check the box that will allow me to "push" my I tunes to my blackberry. Any help would be much appreciated. THank you very much!
    12-19-08 12:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD