Hello,

My company has an Apple XServe running OSX Server with IMAP email and iCal calendaring services, amongst others.

I've never touched a Blackberry in my life, but my company's CEO seems enamored with the Curve. So, is Blackberry's Curve a good fit for our server? Is there any special middleware I'll need to get it talking to the server remotely? Has anybody else tried this successfully?

Are there other/better methods that I should know about for connecting Blackberries with OSX Servers? Any other info you need to know to offer advice?

Thanks!

J
    08-19-08 03:51 PM
    hmm well for as much I would love to say YES, there is a great way to set this up, there really is not. I say this with a VERY VERY heavy heart too! I have been studying to become an Apple Certified System Admin, but so far my experience with OS X Server, I do not see this as a strong option for you at this time.

I am assuming that if your company is running OS X Server, that you have the actual Apple XServers running the application, and not a MacPro or Macbook Pro. If so, for this to all work, you would need to setup a MobileMe account. Then setup a mail forwarding from your IMAP accounts to your .MAC/.ME accounts. This in a business practice is highly insecure, and not a good way to handle confidential or private emails.

If you are indeed running XServes, depending on the hardware you are running, you can virtualize and run an Exchange Server or BES Server and push your email out to your Blackberry devices. This would take quite a bit of Engineering and planning with your current setup.

In a short and sweet answer, there is no easy or cheep way to set this up, at this time. Unless someone else had additional input, I wish ya luck!
    08-19-08 07:07 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't understand why MobileMe would would better with a Blackberry than our XServe. My understanding of MobileMe was that it was simply a well-dressed implementation of IMAP mail, LDAP addresses, and iCal calendars? From the perspective of a mobile device connecting to remote content, what's the difference?

Thanks!

J

PS: My post above is genuine curiosity -- not a challenge to your assertion that Blackberries and OSX Server don't mix.
    08-20-08 08:49 AM
    Well I just wanted to offer what my opinion is and what knowledge I have about OS X Server. I will look into MobileMe a bit more, and see what setups and config would take, but it may be plausable.
    08-20-08 11:02 AM
    OCG,

Here is a discussion thread I found on Apple's support forums. This is along the lines of what I was trying to describe to you, but the calendar features and contacts will not sync. Only email. The calendar and contacts will have to sync via the local PC, not "over the air" wirelessly.

Hope this helps!

Apple - Support - Discussions - MobileMe on BlackBerry ...
    08-20-08 11:09 AM
    Hey,

Anyone out there using Kerio? We're considering it after a rocky six month relationship with MSoft's SB server that did not go well.

It runs native on OS X, and it looks like it supports both Mac and PC clients and also runs BBerry push service just like a BES server.

Anyone have any real-world experience using this? Finding something that just works would be a world of hurt off my shoulders.

to find more info google kerio. I can't post the link b/c I'm a new member. Tho' wtf is that about?
    08-27-08 01:48 PM
    My email is hosted by one of my friends on an X-Serve using Kerio. My friend is very happy with the performance of both the X-Serve and Kerio. You are correct, it supports both Mac and PC clients. He also hosts his fire departments contacts, calendar and email, all shared. The department is on PC, but some of the fireman use Mac's.

As far as push services, neither myself or my friend have been able to come up with anything other than NotifyLink. Kerio has syncing services for iCal, Address Book and Mail. When you use NotifyLink, it becomes a bi-directional wireless sync between your BB and Apple Apps. The only solutions we have been able to find for push and wireless sync are NotifyLink or a hosted BES using Entourage. If you have anything else let me know.
    08-28-08 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD