OK, I can't read every thread on here and this one is probably just as repetitious as many others I have seen but this is what I think it comes down to:

1. If you have Mac and VM you might be able to install an upgrade but you risk the possibility of bricking your phone.

2. Use VM only for backups, and if you have a PC that's your best shot at doing an upgrade.

Is that about it? Can anyone guarantee a successful upgrade with VM? Because I darn near attempted one today but while doing the third party back up VM and Mac lost their connection. Mac couldn't connect (USB) either. Then after I backed up on a PC I read some on this thread and attempt to reconnect on the VM, and now they are mysteriously connected again.

My head is spinning. I don't want to use PC...But I don't want to brick my phone.
    02-13-09 09:11 PM
    just make sure you tell VM Fusion to reconnect the USB... I'm at version .99 now from .103 and can't tell u how much I do in XP via VM Fusion... Maybe I need to make a tutorial on it...
    02-14-09 05:32 PM
    I use Parallels and it was almost perilous! I wouldn't try it again.

Maybe VM Fusion can handle it better. I can't even back up using mass storage.
    02-14-09 05:51 PM
    I use Fusion and Vista Ultimate and have had NO issues whatsoever. I have upgraded to .75 .90 .99 and .103
    02-14-09 05:54 PM
    I have VM Fusion. Successfully upgraded from 167 to 190, backups are fine. I'd feel more comfortable with a proper pc though.. Vm feels unstable

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 06:09 PM
    I agree with you MedNez. When it lost track of my blackberry when I did the back up, that made me not want to do it with a Mac.

And it's a shame we should have software to do it on our Macs. I'm glad I kept my PC up and running.

Now if I could just get google to start sync with my mail again. I don't know if this is the update or if the server is down.
    02-14-09 06:26 PM
    I have VM Fusion. Successfully upgraded from 167 to 190, backups are fine. I'd feel more comfortable with a proper pc though.. Vm feels unstable

"unstable"

I use XP in VM Fuzion and it's faster then my bosses Dell XPS system doing complex GIS work. I highly disagree that VM Fuzion is unstable. Parraells ya..that's a joke compared to Fuzion. I worrk about XP crashing more then Fuzion. What kind of issues are you having with it?
    02-14-09 07:47 PM
    "unstable"

Parraells ya..that's a joke compared to Fuzion. I worrk about XP crashing more then Fuzion. What kind of issues are you having with it?

Parallels is not a joke, it's very good but not in this instance. YMMV
    02-14-09 07:53 PM
    just make sure you tell VM Fusion to reconnect the USB... I'm at version .99 now from .103 and can't tell u how much I do in XP via VM Fusion... Maybe I need to make a tutorial on it...
    This would be a great idea if you have the time to do it, I for onw would greatly appreciate it!
    02-15-09 09:47 AM
    By unstable I mean:

- it hung a couple of times while installing 190
    - took AGES to do everything
    - does scary things like lagging and not reponding

And it only does it during software upgrades

02-16-09 03:30 AM
    By unstable I mean:

- it hung a couple of times while installing 190
    - took AGES to do everything
    - does scary things like lagging and not reponding

And it only does it during software upgrades

Yep, that's all pretty scary. Mine "lost contact" in the middle of a back up.

Today I decided that .103 was too buggy so I went back to .75 - via PC.
    02-16-09 04:18 PM
    I would not care to try an upgrade with anything other than a good and stable PC. In my case I would prefer XP SP3 as the OS here because I know that it will run for years on end without a glitch. In fact I have a system here that has done just that.

If the systems falls over in the middle of an upgrade then you could lose all you data and have to start the whole process over again on a real PC anyway.
    02-16-09 04:24 PM
    I would not care to try an upgrade with anything other than a good and stable PC. In my case I would prefer XP SP3 as the OS here because I know that it will run for years on end without a glitch. In fact I have a system here that has done just that.

If the systems falls over in the middle of an upgrade then you could lose all you data and have to start the whole process over again on a real PC anyway.
    Exactly what I used and it went without a hitch both up and down. Still RIM needs to deliver a direct Mac platform, not everybody can afford both a Mac and a PC. I can't, it's just an old PC that still works pretty well.
    02-16-09 04:32 PM
    I use vm wares running on xp home and its flawless. I haven't encountered any problems or lags. I've upgraded both my 8700 and 8900, as well as a couple 8310's and 8330's, all of which went very smooth. In terms of the upgrade, backup and restores. But before I used vm wares I had nightmares using parallels
    02-16-09 06:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD