I have a BB8830WE and i am thinking about getting a mac computer for work. Are BB's compatible with Macs? Anyone have any problems using a blackberry with a Mac?

Any advice would be a big help. Thanks
    01-17-08 08:48 AM
    You'll have very limited sync capabilities, if any. You'll also loose the ability to upgrade the BB OS because Desktop Manager doesn't work on a Mac.

I still don't understand the rave with Macs.... they can't run everything despite how "false" their advertising is on TV. I'm surprised no one as sued them yet for that.
    01-17-08 10:00 AM
    You'll have very limited sync capabilities, if any. You'll also loose the ability to upgrade the BB OS because Desktop Manager doesn't work on a Mac.

I still don't understand the rave with Macs.... they can't run everything despite how "false" their advertising is on TV. I'm surprised no one as sued them yet for that.
    Useone for a week or two and you will understand. They are targeted towards consumers, not businesses which is why a lot of people love them. Not to mention they are extremely smooth and easy to understand/operate/configure. You can run many Windows programs on them, just not all.

As for the post, JRSCCivic98 is correct. I use a PC at work and Mac at home. All syncing and BB work is done on my work PC.
    01-17-08 10:04 AM
    Get the Mac. Once you get used to the subtle differences and concept of how things are done on the mac, you'll love it. Also, all new macs (w/ intel processors) can run windows, either at boot or through virtualization in OS X. This will allow you to run any apps not yet available for mac, such as BB Desktop. Also, there is a proram that will sync the BB with the OS X features. Google, "missing sync for blackberry". Apparently I'm not allowed to post links until I have 10 posts under my belt.
    01-17-08 08:19 PM
    I'm using a Mac with a BB 8830. Missing Sych. works pretty well. I use it primarily to download music to the BB. Note this is via a USB cable, Bluetooth between the BB and the Mac hasn't worked for me. I'm still remembering a cool demo Steve Jobs did several years ago using BT between a Mac and a SonyErickson cell phone.

The only downside I see is you can't do BB OS updates with the Mac, unless you set-up your Mac as a dual boot machine that lets it run Windows. I've done it and it works well for that purpose.

Oh, I'm not sure if anyone is getting the Mac to support using the BB as a tethered modem. Of course you could probably do this booted into Windows on the Mac.
    01-17-08 08:31 PM
    With a mac, you're gonna have to use Pocket Mac to sync all of your contacts, calendars, tasks, etc. If that is all you need it to do then you wil be good. Also you can have it sync to your .mac account for easy backup in case anything crazy happens (not likely though), and you can either use mac (ilife) or windows (word, excel, etc.) as far as syncing with your bb.

I think the mac debate got so drawn out, nobody really answered your question....lol. Which is understandable because i use a mac, and making then transition made life absolutely common sense easy.
    01-17-08 08:43 PM
    However, you can forget using the bluetooth to transfer files and addresses...no can do. USB yes. aslo your mini sd card will show up as a hard drive for easy drag and drop of files.
    01-17-08 08:44 PM
    Thank you for all the advice. Finding out I can sync my BB with a Mac has just about sealed the deal for me... Mac time baby!!!
    01-17-08 09:12 PM
    That's why apple has the Iphone!
    01-18-08 01:46 AM
    Also, all new macs (w/ intel processors) can run windows, either at boot or through virtualization in OS X.
    Wrong. You can't run Windows "Native" on a Mac. The only version that supports this is Vista 64bit because Macs use EFI instead of BIOS. Only Vista 64bit has EFI support. The bad news is that Stevo isn't releasing drivers for everything on a Windows Environment, which would open up people to wanting Apple hardware. Asides from astetics, Mac hardware is the same as a PC, in some cases the video chipsets actually blow. (I don't see a Mac with SLI support.) BTW, I want to see you run some new 3D games under a Mac w/emulation. Let me know how it runs.
    01-18-08 09:52 AM
    My husband got job in SanDiego, CA and I am finding good job in Nearby SanDiego,CA. Can anyone help where can i look for jobs only in SanDiego?
    03-25-10 08:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD