06-30-09 06:49 AM
33 12
tools
    Any Mac users out there who connect their BB to their mac? I downloaded PocketMac - will it enable me to download latest OS update for 8350i?

I'm having issues with not receiving mail notifications from pop mail accts. like hotmail, and FB... New BB user so this is highly frustrating! Any hints/suggestions?
    06-17-09 10:18 PM
    That settles it, the timeless question, mac-pc-mac-pc...the 8350i spoke, and it said "PC"!!!!
    06-17-09 11:35 PM
    Wow. Thanks for your help. Maybe you were just trying to make a joke, so with whatever respect is due - you use a PC, and I use a Mac, and I really enjoy being virus and error free...

I thought this forum was for people to ask questions and receive legitimate advice and answers from others to help solve their problems?
    06-18-09 08:05 AM
    You cannot use a Mac computer to upload any OS to any Blackberry. It must be run from a windows machine either pur Windows or emulated Windows, like Bootcamp or whatever it is.
    06-18-09 08:17 AM
    I downloaded PocketMac, which when I open seems to look like the "Blackberry User Tools" software that comes w/the phone. I can hook up my BB by USB and there is a menu option to "Check for updates on this device"... I haven't tried it yet to see if it works... if not - are you able to upgrade your OS using the OTA method?

I'm a new BB user, so in general I'm still trying to figure out the basics. Thanks for your response.
    06-18-09 10:09 AM
    BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP is the best way to go. invest $100 dollars on a copy of windows and install it. if u want to be cheap get a copy of windows on youtube and there u go it didn't cost anything...
    06-18-09 10:14 AM
    Wow. Thanks for your help. Maybe you were just trying to make a joke, so with whatever respect is due - you use a PC, and I use a Mac, and I really enjoy being virus and error free...

I thought this forum was for people to ask questions and receive legitimate advice and answers from others to help solve their problems?
    Wow. I am sooooooooo sorry that I made a joke like the ones ALL over the TV and radio for the mac!!!! I was way out of line and you sure corrected me. I am so jealous of your "virus and error free" computer. So jealous in fact I'm connecting my BB to the DM now...I might even update my slacker cache!!!!
    06-18-09 07:22 PM
    BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP, BOOTCAMP is the best way to go. invest $100 dollars on a copy of windows and install it. if u want to be cheap get a copy of windows on youtube and there u go it didn't cost anything...
    Will you send me the link to get my copy of Windows on YouTube!!!!!!!! Best help ever!!!!! Come to think of it, this is the best Thread ever!!!
    06-18-09 07:24 PM
    OK.... all joking aside... my question really wasn't about what was better Mac or PC... it's all a matter of preference. I'm just asking about Blackberry issues.

Can I get an upgrade to my OS over the air, if PocketMac doesn't work?

Monsoon, you're funny. Can we be friends? I like a person who can dish out a good joke too. In fact - we have something in common, my DC number is 0*0*0 as well!!! And now I have a way to fix it... Thanks!
    06-18-09 08:14 PM
    I know they made OTA available updates in the latest OS. Go to options-advanced options-wireless updates, its at the bottom of the list. If its not there, sorry but it must only be available after the latest update! Good luck

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 08:35 PM
    I just put 0*0*0 in my phone and tried to beep you.....are you lieing now?!?!

But seriously, did you get the DC fixed?

06-18-09 08:37 PM
    oh no. I never lie. I call it sarcasm.

WOOO HOOO. I have the option for Wireless Update in my Advanced Updates... however... I checked the OS and it appears I'm running v4.6.1.194 so it looks like I don't need an upgrade?? The Blackberry software update on the Telus page says under the 8350i phone... "If the software version is not v4.6.1.194, the device is eligible for an upgrade."

And... no, I haven't bothered to clean the contacts on my SIM yet. My DC contacts already have my number anyway... but I will check it out.

Thanks for the info!
    06-18-09 09:36 PM
    well, im a mac user and from what verizon told me, pocket mac wouldnt be able to do the software update for my ex-Strom. i had to use bootcamp and downloaded .148 that way. I seriously think RIM should make a mac friendly version of its desktop manager and all
    06-18-09 09:40 PM
    So, can your mac run the DM and connect to the phone? I mean, is your only problem doing the updates or are you screwed when it comes to installing programs via the computer? I update my cache on slacker everyday and I would go nuts if my BB couldn't connect! Well, anyway now you know where to update next time ones available!!! Glad I could HELP!!!!

06-18-09 09:40 PM
    The Mac won't run the DM that everyone is directed to online... I can download the update directly from blackberry.com, but it's an .exe file, which is unreadable on a Mac... which is why I assume you need the DM to interpret the software you download...

PocketMac is a DM designed and programmed for Mac. When I run the program I get an option to "check for updates for this device" (which I assume means whatever BB is attached to it).... I just haven't test it out yet. I understand their are mixed reviews on the software program. Works for some, not for others.

I could potentially be screwed at installing programs via computer if PocketMac won't work properly.
    06-18-09 10:17 PM
    Well, all the "good" apps are OTA if you know where to look. But that's crazy that RIM isn't working on compatability with mac! If you need to use my PC you're more than welcome anytime!!!

06-18-09 10:22 PM
    I really want to bash on mac a lot more here but I'm not going to because I don't want to **** anyone off again!!!! I hope you can appreciate this!!

06-18-09 10:26 PM
    well, im a mac user and from what verizon told me, pocket mac wouldnt be able to do the software update for my ex-Strom. i had to use bootcamp and downloaded .148 that way. I seriously think RIM should make a mac friendly version of its desktop manager and all
    Currently, RIM's Mac friendly version of it's Desktop Manager IS PocketMac... I just don't think it works for some people. Rumor has it they are working on another utility for Mac users.

Check out Ars Technica website... there is an article there about it. I can't post the link.
    06-18-09 10:28 PM
    I really want to bash on mac a lot more here but I'm not going to because I don't want to **** anyone off again!!!! I hope you can appreciate this!!
    I thought we were friends!!??
    06-18-09 10:31 PM
    I guess we're right back where we started! I thought I could change....

06-18-09 10:36 PM
    from what the verizon person told me, RIM is working on a desktop manager for the Mac now

so i hope she knew what she was talking about -_-
    06-18-09 10:38 PM
    I guess we're right back where we started! I thought I could change....
    LOL. I'm not mad.
    06-18-09 10:44 PM
    How would i get bootcamp/windows for free?
    06-20-09 09:22 PM
    I Love my Macbook and my Blackberry, What to do?? PocketMac or what else is out there to use.
    06-20-09 09:25 PM
    hey, i use a mac and i tried to upgrade my bb via virtual machine, it does not work. also pocketmac sucks bad, i get errors the whole time i can never do a proper sync. missing sync does a better job and tells u the reasons for the crashes, so u have to fix the things manually till everything goes ok. i recommend u, like others said in this post, bootcamp, is the best choise.
    06-21-09 11:13 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD