Hi, I need to tether a Macbook running OSX 10.4, to send real-time audio to radio/tv station clients.

I have Sprint SERO plan with an old Sanyo 9000 phone. SprintUsers
    forums suggested HTC TP2 as the simplest to use with a Mac.

I got it and don't like it. -Too Windows-Like and alot complication to set up. to tether Mac with usb cable vs. BT. Will Blackberry be much easier?

I don't care about touchscreen - mainly ease of connectivity and set-up with least learning-curve required.

Any advice what model? especially a used one that'd run on Evdo.RevA speed and get the same connect speed as a Touch Pro/WinMo?

I get the idea BB is simpler. If so, its worth the extra $10/month for SPrints
    BIS plan to get it.

Thanks!

Mike
    07-15-10 10:35 AM
    easiest phone to tether with, no questions asked is a Rooted Android.

Download a program called Barnacle (Barnacle WiFi Tether App for Rooted Android Phone | Gadgets DNA). turn on wi-fi and away you go, tether your computer, i-pod, i-pad, netbook... anything. And you WEP encrypt it so you don't have everyone mooching your signal.

i'm not to sure about a program for RIM called "tether for blackberry" i don't know if it has Mac support or not.

For the most part RIM and Apple don't get along, and most likely never will..... this might be a toughie to solve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-10 10:46 AM
    It's cake to tether a BB to a mac. I'm running snow leopard, 10.6.4. All I do is plug it in, correct some values in network preferences, and connect. Easy.
    07-15-10 10:57 AM
    It's cake to tether a BB to a mac. I'm running snow leopard, 10.6.4. All I do is plug it in, correct some values in network preferences, and connect. Easy.
    That's encouraging. If you don't mind elaborating

How about earlier Mac OSX like...Tiger/10.4?

I have done some search on this meantime and found 3rd part stuff
    such as Tetherberry and 'Tether'. Do you think I could get by without
    those if i want to do usb-cabled connection?

I am looking for maximum simplicity of setup. Also... say I'm coming from
    a really simple old handset like my Sanyo MM-9000 (Sprint). I def. need to buy a BB - but don't need anything with super-robust features per se...just a reasonable size screen, touch keypad and ability to do on-phone email...but
    MAIN thing is how easily it interfaces with the Mac. If I can get a BB that will take advantage of full EVDO Rev.A speed available on Sprint 3G, I'd be
    fine...I just don't know Blackberries at all.

Really appreciate advice on this.

Thanks again!

MikeE

Mike
    07-15-10 03:18 PM
    Moving thread to MAC Users Forum
    07-15-10 03:37 PM
    Not sure if you've already made your purchase... however, I have a 9700 and I was surprised at how easy it was to tether to my macbook pro with snow leopard. Turn on bluetooth on my berry (I generally leave it off), click 'connect' on the mac and it tethers.. my only complaint is I can't seem to find a way to change the connection speed but I was surprised it was actually easier than trying to tether to my PC!
    07-28-10 05:41 PM
    hi, thanks. I have not made a choice yet - other than to sell the TouchPro2
    because it's just way too Windows-y for me...

So, I gather i am going to have an easier time on a BB if i tether via BT
    though ideally i would prefer to tether using usb cable for fastest speed -
    esp. for uploading. Someone mentioned on another thread that BB can't
    tether via usb cable if "DM" is installed (I don't speak blackberry yet so i'm
    confused already...)

I'll look at the one you suggest.... i hope it's simpler in general than WinMo
    phones. For me, again- as a Mac-Only guy I just can't stand Windows-type
    interfaces on a phone or otherwise. The only reason I'm looking at BB is that
    i can't find something a little larger and more like a smartphone than my old Sanyo 9000 that will talk to a Mac easily for tethering and run EVDO Rev.A...
    I do prefer a raised keypad over a touchscreen... so maybe i oughta be looking at a newer 'dumbphone' that's bigger and EVDO Rev.A.

Thanx for your thoughts
    07-30-10 06:31 PM
    Hi, so i am looking at how i might be able to usb-tether a BB on SPrint (Sero unltd data). I see a reply on another thread about this - that i cannot do it if i have "Desktop Manager" installed. I am new to BB in general so i don't know if that's something i could just uninstall or otherwise do i need it for anything?

Main goal for my OSX 10.4 computer(s) is to simply be able to get a usb-cabled tether connection to allow fastest speed uploading (downloading
    speed not so much an issue).

Any opinions on how easy it is to get this done? Thanks again,

Mike
    08-08-10 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD