01-25-11 09:39 PM
49 12
tools
    Here's how I tethered my Bold 9000 (4.6.0.297) with my MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8):

1) Use Bluetooth Assistant in System Preferences to pair the Bold and the Mac
    2) In the Network section of System Preferences, use Bluetooth in the left-hand column for connection, then for the following fields:

Telephone Number: wap.cingular
    Account Name: WAP @ CINGULARGPRS.COM (No spaces between WAP & @ and between @ and CINGULAR).
    Password: CINGULAR1

Then click on Advanced. Under the "Modem" tab,

Vendor: Sierra
    Model: GSM
    APN: ISP.CINGULAR
    CID: 1

Push Apply and then Connect. Voila!

According to Speedtest.net, my downlink was 1Mbps and uplink 0.2Mbps. The latency, however, was rather high, at about 1,000ms instead of the typical around 175-200ms on my air card in 3G.

I also tried using the following and the latency was a bit lower (461ms) this time. I recall from somewhere that wap.cingular artificially "caps" the throughput or something, whereas isp.cingular (used for air cards, etc.) does not. Either way...

Telephone Number: isp.cingular
    Account Name: ISP @ CINGULARGPRS.COM (No spaces between ISP & @ and between @ and CINGULAR).
    Last edited by kevcito; 10-24-09 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add'l Info
    10-24-09 11:37 AM
    excellent thread

I running 4.5.0.110 and OSX 10.6.1

Telephone Number: wap.cingular
    Account Name: WAP @ CINGULARGPRS.COM (No spaces between WAP & @ and between @ and CINGULAR).

Then click on Advanced. Under the "Modem" tab,

Vendor: RIM
    Model: BB 8100

worked w and w/o USB cable

Thanks to everyone for there help
    10-26-09 04:54 PM
    I was able to get the storm 9530 to work with the original posted information. Running: OS 5.0.0.328 and MAC OS 10.6.1

Now, here is the important part: Will telus know that I was tethering? And will they charge me for it?
    11-03-09 01:30 PM
    I was able to setup tethering for my blackberry by using bluetooth and a modem script on my Mac OS X 10.6.1. Everytime I try to go to the Internet it directs me to the Verizon page to pay $30. Is there a way around that??
    11-26-09 10:59 AM
    Awesome!!!

Your speed: 224.719 Kbps
    Your latency: 0.961 seconds
    Transferred 100 KB in 3.56 seconds

Not bad...
    12-06-09 05:10 PM
    Will this work with the 9700?
    12-07-09 11:56 AM
    Had a little trouble getting this to work, figured this can help out others.

Anyways, Bluetooth device settings are default to how the device is setup by the wizard.

Under network options goto bluetooth
    Telephone number: wap.cingular
    Account name:

Click Advanced
    Under Modem

Vender: Option
    APN: WAP.CINGULAR

Apply and hit connect
    Hi there,
    I am a user of bold BB 9000 in TURKEY. My service provider is TURKCELL. Is this service supporting tethering ? If yes How can I apply it ?

Merry x mas and a happy new year .

Coskun ERGINER
    12-10-09 04:37 AM
    Try using the Telephone Number: *99#

Follow everything else.

It works perfect!

I am using:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.2.0
    Boot Volume: MACDRIVE
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: MacBook Pro

and a Blackberry Bold with the newest upgrade.
    12-18-09 08:00 PM
    Had a little trouble getting this to work, figured this can help out others.

Anyways, Bluetooth device settings are default to how the device is setup by the wizard.

Under network options goto bluetooth
    Telephone number: wap.cingular
    Account name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM

Click Advanced
    Under Modem

Vender: Option
    APN: WAP.CINGULAR

Apply and hit connect
    OMG i think i love you!!!!!!!!!!
    12-24-09 12:21 AM
    Hey Everyone, looking to know if anyone can help me. I'm trying to tether a mac ibook(G4) with a blackberry 9000 (Bold). thanks for all help anything appreciated:
    03-04-10 09:23 AM
    I have AT&T/Cingular and a Blackberry Curve (8310) and am NOT a geek so I don't know where to begin in this process. I am only interested in checking email when I travel (3-4 times/year) so not interested in an air card or AT&T's tethering.

When I check my Blackberry, the options for communication are "None" and USB. The bluetooth areas are grayed out and not available. What do I do? Again, limited knowledge on the DIY stuff, but I know how to use a PC and how to download drivers and other files.

I have a PC with Vista and my OS for the Blackberry is 4.5.01. Thanks in advance.
    03-15-10 04:55 PM
    WOW, after downloading every script and app for tethering failed attempts I tried this, and IT WORKED!!! Thanks
    03-18-10 02:31 AM
    Still lost! Cannot find the options for Bluetooth to modify.
    04-01-10 09:22 AM
    Try using the Telephone Number: *99#

Follow everything else.

It works perfect!

I am using:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.2 (10C540)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.2.0
    Boot Volume: MACDRIVE
    Boot Mode: Normal
    Computer Name: MacBook Pro

and a Blackberry Bold with the newest upgrade.
    DING! Did this and I'm cruising along even with Snow Leopard and the most up to date BB OS. If my account isn't set for tethering, will they know and ding me for it?
    04-18-10 04:52 PM
    These steps posted helped me connect my Bold & 8900 to my MAC:

Step 1 is to find modem scripts for Blackberry/Mac - I found a link that provided scripts at this web page <http://www.backdrifter.com/2008/05/01/configure-blackberry-pearl-as-a-modem-on-mac-os-x/> I am using the script for the 8800 even though my BB is the 8900; seems to work. Place the folder "Blackberry.ccl" into the Mac's hard drive/library/modem scripts. This will make "Research In Motion" (Blackberry) show up as a choice in the bluetooth configuration window, and will make the blackberry 8800 show up as a modem script choice.

Step 2: In order to pair the BB and the MacBook Pro on Bluetooth, you basically set up the BB so that it is discoverable on bluetooth. Then you use the Mac's bluetooth setup assistant to find the BB and pair up with it.

Step 3: Go to the Network pane in the Mac's system preferences and create a new "Location" called Blackberry Tether or something like that. Add a Bluetooth port in the column to the left and call it something, make sure it is selected and then do the following settings for it. Just to the right make a new Configuration called "tethered BB" or whatever, for telephone number put "wap.voicestream.com" (this is for T-mobile, they currently win the prize for offering unlimited internet access on the BB for $29.95/mo.), for account name put "guest" and for password put "guest". (for other service providers you will have to dig up the correct configuration info for these 3 fields, it's out there somewhere)

OK, now hit the "advanced" button, under the "modem" tab select "Research in Motion" and the "Blackberry 8800" script. I also selected "ignore dial tone" Under the PPP tab I deselected all of those pesky "disconnect for this and that" boxes. Then I tried to connect once, computer locked up, I restarted and tried again and Bingo! it actually worked.
    Followed this to a "T" and worked liked a charm. Successfully tethered my MacBook Pro running SnowLeopard 10.6 with my Bold 9700.

APN Settings for Rogers:
    Internet.com
    wapuser1
    wap

Thanks for posting this valuable info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-10 03:17 PM
    I have the Blackberry 9700 and a laptop PC running Vista Home Premium version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2. I noticed that you guys are using Cingular as the provider but I'm a T-Mobile customer. What do I need to do for this? Is it true that my phone has no modem? I read this somewhere. How do I use the Bluetooth for this instead? Sorry for the ignorance...
    06-30-10 07:11 PM
    It also seems everyone is using a MAC. I have a PC. But, I don't know enough about the Blackberry's tech details to get it to work. I can get the PC to dial the *99, but the calls never go through. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    08-04-10 03:01 PM
    hi,
    im using a 9650 Bold from Sprint, I tried EVERYTHING suggested in this thread and nothing seems to work

is there anything else i should try?

thanks in advance.
    08-11-10 02:38 AM
    Subscribed for later. Sorry

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 05:43 PM
    Works with BB Torch on .141 with OS X 10.6.4
    09-01-10 04:00 AM
    my set up is ok..
    followed everything to the dot.
    running on Mac OS X and Torch with 6.0.141
    my problem is the connection.. it gets connected for a few seconds then it will be disconnected right away
    09-02-10 04:55 PM
    I followed the directions outlined at the beginning of this thread with a blackberry torch 9800 and a macbook running mac os 10.5.8 with AT&T service (my blackberry is running os6 bundle278)

I am able to connect my blackberry to my laptop via bluetooth and my blackberry says "modem mode enabled" at the top of the screen. My mac connects to the blackberry through the modem settings located in my network preferences.

My problem is that when I open a web browser on my mac it doesn't connect to anything.

I've double-checked my settings and everything is connected.

ARE THERE ANY SPECIFIC PROXY SETTINGS FOR MY BROWSERS TO CONSIDER?

thanks!
    11-03-10 04:51 PM
    is it possible to tether with verizon? i connected through bluetooth and it connected gave me the ip and everything, but when i go online on my macbook pro it takes me to the verizon page saying that it'll cost me additional $20 on top of $30 data plan, and it only provides 2gb/month.
    customer service and mobil service and the only 2 things that don't suck about verizon.
    01-13-11 04:36 PM
    Worked.

Mac 10.6.6
    BB Torch
    01-25-11 09:39 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD