I have an IMAP hosted mail service - (I don't like relying on Google - and lets not get into why in this thread please - thanks in advance!)

Anyhow - at some stage I am going to run out of space on the hosted IMAP mail server and on my BB handset.

I was daydreaming I could create rules to transfer my IMAP Mac Mail emails to an "On My Mac" folder - say after 1 month..? To get them off the server.

Then delete anything older than one month off my BB?

Or perhaps I should be copying ALL IMAP emails and storing them 'On My Mac" the moment they come in?

I am looking for advice to manage / store / archive IMAP emails and keep a happy BB handset so that it doesn't get TOO loaded up with emails. I need an IMAP / BB email strategy.

Note: I don't need access to every email on my BB. Just the last month or two's worth of emails on the BB will do. Obviously on my Mac I want to keep everything.. (and I do back ups once a week to an external drive)

I am a BIS user that is new to IMAP / BB and I must admit I like it.. Saves having to mark 'read' on a zillion emails you have already when you get back to your Mac.

Thanks in advance
    03-06-09 09:14 AM
    You can set - move any mail older than 30 days.. or 20 days..

Is that what you mean?

If so - Yes this is possible
    03-07-09 11:48 AM
    Set up a new mailbox (not account) and then set rules to copy or move emails OLDER THAN your set time to that mailbox.

Another really handy thing about IMAP mail is to set up a "read mail" box within your IMAP and set a rule to move, or preferably, COPY mails older than your set time into the "read mail" box on the server itself.

Periodically archive your mailboxes on the Mac, as well.
    03-07-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD