I was wondering what was the best way to wirelessly sync my ical and addressbook with a BB (On BIS)? The only method i know is of using gmail, but wanted to see if there was anything else out there.
    11-09-09 03:29 PM
    Funambol offers Open Source apps including plugins for BlackBerry, Outlook and Thunderbird/Lightning (Windows/Mac/Linux) to sync Address Book, Calendar, Tasks and Memopad. They work flawlessly even as betas, unlike my experience with Google Sync!. Funambol uses your carriers APN, not BlackBerry BIS.

Funambol had a free service until this month! Previous users still have access to Funambol. For newcomers its a trial period and that may mean a paid for version is coming.

There are other paid-for services like NextHaus who license the Funambol technology, but I haven't tried them. Others may be able to post their experiences.

-- Robert.
    11-09-09 04:02 PM
    Funambol offers Open Source apps including plugins for BlackBerry, Outlook and Thunderbird/Lightning (Windows/Mac/Linux) to sync Address Book, Calendar, Tasks and Memopad. They work flawlessly even as betas, unlike my experience with Google Sync!. Funambol uses your carriers APN, not BlackBerry BIS.

Funambol had a free service until this month! Previous users still have access to Funambol. For newcomers its a trial period and that may mean a paid for version is coming.

There are other paid-for services like NextHaus who license the Funambol technology, but I haven't tried them. Others may be able to post their experiences.

-- Robert.
    Thanks for thr reply! So do you use Funambol currently? And if so was it hard to set up?
    11-09-09 04:20 PM
    Also how secure is Funambol?
    11-09-09 04:21 PM
    Hi,

Funambol is easy to set up because there aren't many option to set. Enter your Funambol username and password then choose which items to sync and how often. I have used it on Outlook and was using it syncing a Bold and Thunderbird/Lightning on Mac. Last week I stopped only because I missed Microsoft Entourage (believe it or not) and because the Funambol BlackBerry client doesn't sync categories.

I don't know enough to comment on security but believe Funambol is secure.

The ultimate BlackBerry sync is BES and looking at hosts like Mail Street.

-- Robert.
    11-10-09 12:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD