Hi friends, i've been using blackberries for a couple of years - love them. But i'm getting tired and frustrated with windows and looking to switch to mac. Would be grateful if could get some help.

1. I'm informed that the desktop manager will not work on mac - is that correct? If so, then what's the best way to sync?

2. Installing apps via desktop manager was quite easy. How do i do that with a mac..?

Thank you very much for the help - appreciate.
    02-19-09 08:23 AM
    MAC is by far a superiour computing system. With that being said, RIM and BB are absolutely no help/support for MAC owners. They have yet to develop and release a desktop mgr for MACs. Rather, they subcontract out to a third party vendor (Pocketmac) to supply free "software" for syncing. However, a word of caution, you get what you pay for. Pocketmac is horrible, it seldom works right and is full of software bugs that screw up arbitraily.

Others on here use a software called "Missing Sync". Now you have to pay like $40 for it, but supposedly it works "ok". I myself will not pay for extra software that should have been supplied for free like it is with Windows.

As you can guess, I am biased b/c I am extremely annoid that I was lied to by Verizon as well as RIM that the BB was 100% compatible with my MAC.

RIM is supposedily "releasing" a desktop mgr "sometime" in 2009, but there is no guarantee and they claim its been in the works since 2004. So, don't hold your breath.
    02-19-09 08:40 AM
    All I can say is, if I had to chose between my Mac and my Blackberry, I would be using a new phone. Mac computers will win every time. . . which is why RIM better get its act together.

Quickly.
    02-19-09 08:47 AM
    I switched to MAC in January 2008 and have not looked back. I can't believe it took me this long to realize how superior the MAC is over Windows.

If I didn't have to switch carriers to ATT, and Verizon could sell the Iphone I would buy one in a minute.

The fact that RIM has been "working" on this since 2004 clearly shows their ignorance of the smartphone market.
    02-19-09 08:58 AM
    Hopefully what I am about to tell you will make your life easier. My signature at the bottom of the post tells my MacBook Specs. I use PocketMac to sync my Storm in OSX, it's free, and contrary to others statements about it not working right, I have never had a problem with it. That being said, I also have never tried to install an app using PocketMac, nor do I intend to. You can still achieve the outcome you are looking for, just have to change the way you go about it. I install all apps OTA. If I have to download it to a computer I will do so but then manually add it to the blackberry then open it through the blackberry, or, e-mail myself the link, open the link on the blackberry and install. It really is easy. As far as contacts and calender, music etc... That was also simple.
    I suggest using Address Book to get all your contacts in order. On first sync with pocket mac, you can have your blackberry copy your contacts into Address Book, or you can do like I did and Manually enter them into Address Book first. Once they are into Address Book, if you want to add Pics to the contacts, you can drag and drop an image into the contact. Setup iCal with tasks and date info and it will also sync to your calender on the BlackBerry.
    I use the Mass Storage to put music, pics, movies etc. onto the phone. When you plug your phone into the mac, it shows up as two "hard drives" labeled BlackBerry 1 and Blackberry 2 (at least mine does, I forgot to see what Blackberry you are using) For me, 2 is the memory card and 1 is the onboard memory.

It really is not a big deal, with a mac you can do anything...for instance, I have desktop manager loaded on Windows XP on the other partition of my macbook. I did that before I had the Blackberry as I had some programs Mac doesn't support but I wanted to use them. Mac makes it really easy to install both OS's on the same hard drive. If you need any help, let me know.

Thanks

D
    02-19-09 09:14 AM
    Out of all the posts I've read, this ^^ one seems to be the most moving in regards to Mac & PocketMac. All other posts despise PocketMac & Missing Sync.

As far as defacing my MacBook with windows, that is just something I refuse to do. For me, the decision to go Mac meant no windows and if I was going to continue to use windows, I would have gotten a windows laptop.
    02-19-09 09:42 AM
    Out of all the posts I've read, this ^^ one seems to be the most moving in regards to Mac & PocketMac. All other posts despise PocketMac & Missing Sync.

As far as defacing my MacBook with windows, that is just something I refuse to do. For me, the decision to go Mac meant no windows and if I was going to continue to use windows, I would have gotten a windows laptop.
    I understand your hesitation to put windows on a mac. The only difference between me and you is that you do not have a need to use windows or mac at any given moment, and I do. I used to be completely anti-apple. I was required to use one in my job on a regular basis and so I adapted to my environment. Since then, I have switched to being a mac user who also knows mac more than the other way around. To be honest, there are still some software company's who refuse, for whatever reason ($$$) to create Mac compatible software. I want to be able to take full advantage of my devices and so must adapt to using both platforms. Plus, all my neanderthal family and friends need constant support for their PC, and it makes my life easier to use windows to walk them through completing tasks.

sorry, didn't mean to spend a whole post defending myself, somehow felt I needed to explain though, that there are advantages to having both readily available.
    02-19-09 10:44 AM
    Hi friends, i've been using blackberries for a couple of years - love them. But i'm getting tired and frustrated with windows and looking to switch to mac. Would be grateful if could get some help.

1. I'm informed that the desktop manager will not work on mac - is that correct? If so, then what's the best way to sync?

2. Installing apps via desktop manager was quite easy. How do i do that with a mac..?

Thank you very much for the help - appreciate.
    I like Missing Sync, the new version should have the bugs worked out by the time you get your mac. There is an application installation option in Missing Sync as well. The only thing you won't be able to do is upgrade the phone's OS.
    02-19-09 10:51 AM
    OK, so this is my 3rd attempt at this post from my work PC. Frackin' thing went crazy while I was typing and after an attempt at a reboot, I had to shut the whole thing down and cold restart it!! It was these type of continued glitches that made finally try a Mac this past summer. After 20 yrs of PC use I bought a MBP 15'' (not the new unibody) and I'm running OS X 10.5.6. I never realized how much craziness I was putting up with and accepting as "normal" from my PCs at home and at work until I started using my Mac! I do have VMware with Windows Xp on my Mac because there is an app that is PC-only that I must use periodically. I will probably load DM on my Mac and on one of my work PCs. But I plan to do just as dlappjr suggested and use only OTA upgrades of OSs and OTA loading of apps or have thea pps emailed to my Storm. I will move my music and photos over to the media card like it has been described in the above posts. I say go for it and get your Mac and enjoy using it. You will never go back! You will also be able to continue using and enjoying your BB. If and when RIM ever releases a DM for Mac then life will be a little easier.
    02-19-09 11:43 AM
    The best part about windows on a mac... Mac makes windows run goooood!
    02-19-09 12:17 PM
    The problem i have with pocketmac is it doesn't put anything into my folders on the media card (music, pictures, etc.). It puts everything on the first level. Also, neither missing sync or pocketmac will sync playlists. They just put all the songs from all the playlists you sync into one large pool, leaving you to have to sort them out into playlists again on your device. I sync my music using BB media sync on the windows side (i sync my iTunes in windows to my iTunes in mac by dragging over the library files), and I sync my Mac address book and iCal to Outlook using MobileMe, and then use Desktop Manager to sync contacts and calendars. For photos i use Pocketmac. Very convoluted, i know, but it's the best way i've found to get everything i want on my phone. Can't friggin' wait for Desktop Manager for Mac if it ever comes, or the iPhone on Verizon
    02-19-09 02:40 PM
    Thank you - thank you - thanks a million to everyone who has been so kind to take the trouble to write.

I'm using a blackberry bold.

1. i tried to post on mac forums but did'nt mention about blackberry - i thought it would be better to post about it here.

2. i'm not worried much about upgrading the OS - i can have it done at vodafone who have a contract to do it for me.

3. 3rd party apps - that's also ok 'cause as dlappjr put it, i can download them OTA.

4. My main concern is syncing CONTACTS and NOTES. I have more than 500 contacts. They are stored in 2 separate folders on outlook 07. I use 2 phones - one when i'm in Hong Kong - another when i'm in China. So my HK phone syncs with my main contacts in the MAIN folder. My China phone syncs with my China contacts which are kept in the CHINA folder.

I'd be v.v.grateful if anyone could kindly give a reply to following - thank you again v.v.much for the help.

1. Is it ok to transfer contacts from outlook 07 to mac? I mean after transfer do i have to go thru each and every field to check if its gone correctly?
    Since my contacts are in 2 FOLDERS - will both the folders go properly?

2. which program u recommend for syncing - i dont mind paying for it. is the syncing smooth as it is in windows.

3. i use ascendo data vault to save my passwords. is there any program on mac which can sync passwords to my blackberry bold?

4. I have a lot of questions pertaining to switching from my windows pc to mac. Can i post them here? i'm much more comfortable with this forum and the folks out here. Alternatively, which forum would you folks recommend for Mac ?
    02-19-09 10:12 PM
    1. Is it ok to transfer contacts from outlook 07 to mac? I mean after transfer do i have to go thru each and every field to check if its gone correctly?
    I can't speak to transferring from Outlook to the Mac, I haven't had a PC at home in almost a decade The folders, at least the way you have them, might be a problem. You could however put your one folder of contacts in one group, and the others in a separate group. Then it's just a matter of syncing only the proper group to each phone (the process is a little different depending on the application you use to sync.

2. which program u recommend for syncing - i dont mind paying for it. is the syncing smooth as it is in windows.
    Missing Sync 2, once they iron out things a little. Although RIM is apparently working on a desktop manager for Mac.

3. i use ascendo data vault to save my passwords. is there any program on mac which can sync passwords to my blackberry bold?

4. I have a lot of questions pertaining to switching from my windows pc to mac. Can i post them here? i'm much more comfortable with this forum and the folks out here. Alternatively, which forum would you folks recommend for Mac ?
    Not sure about 3. But for your switching questions - If you like, you can PM me your questions, be more than happy to answer them.
    02-20-09 07:32 AM
    Thank you - thank you - thanks a million to everyone who has been so kind to take the trouble to write.

I'm using a blackberry bold.

1. i tried to post on mac forums but did'nt mention about blackberry - i thought it would be better to post about it here.

2. i'm not worried much about upgrading the OS - i can have it done at vodafone who have a contract to do it for me.

3. 3rd party apps - that's also ok 'cause as dlappjr put it, i can download them OTA.

4. My main concern is syncing CONTACTS and NOTES. I have more than 500 contacts. They are stored in 2 separate folders on outlook 07. I use 2 phones - one when i'm in Hong Kong - another when i'm in China. So my HK phone syncs with my main contacts in the MAIN folder. My China phone syncs with my China contacts which are kept in the CHINA folder.

I'd be v.v.grateful if anyone could kindly give a reply to following - thank you again v.v.much for the help.

Your questions, unfortunately, are way above my pay grade or level of expertise. you may want to try to PM Craig Johnston here at CB-he's pretty much a BB expert. Just a thought-hope Craig doesn't get PO'ed at me for suggesting this!
    02-20-09 09:11 AM

A good place to find answers to switching is at the MacRumors forums. They have a very active forum with lots of online "guides" that will walk you through anything. Certainly helped me a bunch when I switched from PC to Mac.
    02-20-09 10:11 AM
    I understand your hesitation to put windows on a mac. The only difference between me and you is that you do not have a need to use windows or mac at any given moment, and I do. I used to be completely anti-apple. I was required to use one in my job on a regular basis and so I adapted to my environment. Since then, I have switched to being a mac user who also knows mac more than the other way around. To be honest, there are still some software company's who refuse, for whatever reason ($$$) to create Mac compatible software. I want to be able to take full advantage of my devices and so must adapt to using both platforms. Plus, all my neanderthal family and friends need constant support for their PC, and it makes my life easier to use windows to walk them through completing tasks.

sorry, didn't mean to spend a whole post defending myself, somehow felt I needed to explain though, that there are advantages to having both readily available.
    No need to be sorry. & you're right- I dont have a need to use windows on a Mac. As a matter of fact, I didnt have a need for a Mac. I'd been using window PC's for longer than I can remember and had wanted to try a Mac for a while.

I was considering getting a new laptop (windows) and then just scraped that thought & got my MacBook. I'm glad that I did b/c had I gotten the other laptop, I would have quickly become bored with it.

In my quest not to install windows to Mac, I do have a windows PC for my BB needs. I'm just waiting for someone to get it together and get us Desktop Manager for Mac.
    02-20-09 09:45 PM
    I like Missing Sync, the new version should have the bugs worked out by the time you get your mac. There is an application installation option in Missing Sync as well. The only thing you won't be able to do is upgrade the phone's OS.
    Apparently there are a LOT of bugs that need to be worked out. Based n massive reading I've been doing, Missing Sync's new version wasnt ready for prime time.
    02-20-09 09:47 PM
    Apparently there are a LOT of bugs that need to be worked out. Based n massive reading I've been doing, Missing Sync's new version wasnt ready for prime time.
    I suspect many of the problems are people who upgraded from 1.x or from the 2.0 public test. Only problem I ran into was resolved removing a couple of folders that were left over from a previous test version. It's been very smooth since.
    02-20-09 11:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD