Hello Everyone,

Ever since I became eligible for a new phone on my two year plan, I have become a regular visitor to my local, within walking distance, Verizon store. It seems that one of the phones I play with during each visit is the BB Pearl 8130.

I have never used a BB before so it's quite a learning curve. What concerns me the most is that my computer is a Mac. Unfortunately, all too often many items are not compatible with OS X. I love my Mac so going back to windoze is not an option.

Now for my question, how well will the Pearl 8130 work in conjunction with my Mac? Is it worth the effort or am I just opening myself to a myriad of problems? I'll be learning to use the BB and at the same time trying to figure out how to have it sync with iCal and my Address Book.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    12-28-07 09:43 PM
    You can sync the BB with your Mac for calendar, memo pad, tasks, contacts but you can't load applications or update your BB's OS.
    12-29-07 12:35 AM
    I just got a mac some I am still adjusting from the windows world. But, with Pocketmac you can sync the above mentioned items. Atleast in theory. I am having some problems syncing my information. Pocketmac seems to hang at around 50% status and I have to force quit it. But I haven't had much time to troubleshoot it. The information all seems to sync fine, I just can't get the program to complete.

To answer your question, yes 95% of the time the BlackBerry is compatible with mac. That other 5% of the time, you will need a windows pc.
    12-29-07 01:12 AM
    the new imac is dual bootable between windows and mac os im getting one next week after vacation the guy at the apple store showed me we went from windows to os and back its frickin sweet
    12-29-07 01:21 AM
    the new imac is dual bootable between windows and mac os im getting one next week after vacation the guy at the apple store showed me we went from windows to os and back its frickin sweet
    Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm aware of Parallels and Bootcamp but that option is not appealing to me. In addition to dealing with all the windoze related issues, I would also have to use different windoze and mac applications for contacts and calendar. In essence, I would be making duplicate entries on my computer. That seems like a lot of work.
    12-29-07 08:23 AM
    I just got my first BB yesterday, but -- so far at least -- the Mac sync software does work, and I was able to transfer files with Bluetooth by using the method explained at forums dot crackberry dot com/f52/mac-blackberry-11038 . We'll see what problems I run into with further testing.
    12-29-07 11:51 AM
    You can always purchase "Missing Sync".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-07 01:43 PM
    I've been using my BB with my mac and so far no problems. I don't really like pocketmac all that much but it hasn't really given me any "problems".
    01-16-08 09:53 AM
    /agree wit tra44 No problems so far. Like the advance features tho for restoring me BB.
    01-17-08 11:00 AM
    I have to disagree with Tylerd about Missing Sync. I got my BB about a month ago, and pocketmac was working fine. Out of nowhere it started duplicating all my calendar events. I searched for hours through tons of posts, and thought my only option was to drop $40 on Missing Sync. It worked twice, then stopped...just wouldn't connect with my Pearl. I spent hours digging through Missing Sync support with no success. Now I'm back to pocketmac, which is working for now, but I'm just waiting for the next duplicate to happen. I love my BB, and I love my mac, I just want them to play nice together.
    01-27-08 10:08 AM
    I use my Pearl, my other half's 8830 and my Curve on my Mac.

PocketMac has worked fine for me on all 3 handsets. The only things I can't do are update software, backup and install applications. For that I boot over to Windows and use the desktop manger. But that's all I use it for. All my user data is strictly Mac side.
    01-27-08 10:31 AM
    I use Missing Sync for calendar and address book stuff. I also use the mass storage feature to add ringtones and pictures. I am a little frustrated that I can't delete some of the memory sucking apps that are pre-loaded. Have any of you tried VMFusion? The IT folks at my school recommend it. They say it works flawlessly. I think the program runs somewhere around $200 and you have to have a copy of windows as well. I guess with VMFusion you don't have to partition your hard drive. I was thinking about using it to install and upgrade the apps and os on my BB (8130).
    01-29-08 10:16 PM
    Is that program called windows boot camp? that lets you run windows on your mac?
    01-30-08 03:46 PM
    Don't do it!! I have wasted hours and hours with my Pearl and the Mac. It would have been cheaper for me to get an iPhone, since I've lost alot of billable hours fussing with this mess.
    04-11-08 04:16 PM
    Both Pocketmac (hangs around 50% complete) and MissingSync (8130 not even recognized) were a complete waste of time for me to use with a new MacBook Pro. After 4-5 turns with both companies attempting to resolve, I gave up on both. VM Fusion was my solution, though I'm not particularly pleased to still need Windows. I use my planner function a lot and find that a lot of my time with my new Mac is still spent in Windows, thus reversing some of the benefits of converting. Nevertheless, the Fusion solution has worked quite well.

I hope that RIM reads these forums, because I don't think that I would go back to another Blackberry even though I think it's the best smartphone for my needs. When you look around these forums, I see a lot of other people who might feel the same, the next time they need a phone.
    04-11-08 09:40 PM
    PocketMac syncs my calendar really well and that's all I use it for. It also does contacts really well but I don't use that. For media I just drag/drop my songs/pictures onto the microSD i access via media mode.

PocketMac can install apps but I'm finding trouble uninstalling them. I'm trying to get rid of WebMessenger and I just can't do it. Going to Options/Advanced/Applications doesn't work either because WebMessenger doesn't even show up there. I'm lost on this, looks like my only solution is to sync to a Desktop Manager on PC and uninstall from there...
    04-11-08 11:38 PM
    No.

I have been disappointed with both Pocketmac and Missing Sync, and I consider myself both an advanced computer user and an advanced mac user.

Enough people are satisfied that I think that it must have something to do with my particular configuration? I have a MBP 1.83GHz (Intel Core Duo) running OSX 10.4.11 and a Sprint-branded 8130 running 4.3.0.97 on 3.1.0.51.

I want it to sync with address book, itunes playlists, and ical. Unfortunately it seems that I need an iPhone for this to happen.

I sent an email to Blackberry Tech support. They told me that there is a Pocketmac update "soon" (that was March 29th). When I visit the BB support site, I have to download the software and install it every time since they don't use the same version numbers for the installer and the actual software. (installer is 4.0.20b. I finally wrote it down someplace I'll remember so I don't have to enter my personal information everytime!)

Actually here's what they actually wrote:
    "We should come up with an update for you soon. The latest version with Pocket Mac should sync with your Mac just fine, as long as you have the proper sync configuration for ICal.
    If you looking for updates please check regularly the BlackBerry page.
    Please give us a call with this case so we can check settings within Pocket Mac.
    "

Of course, when I call I'm prompted to enter a credit card number for tech support. F-that.

It makes me sad, because I really like the form-factor of the Pearl. It also has the edge over the iPhone for cut and paste. I'm currently planning on paying the ETF as soon as I can order the new iPhone (please have them ready to ship in June, not a 6-week FCC announcement!). I hope they make it lighter and give it cut and paste.

M@
    04-15-08 11:31 PM
    I've had PDA's , Palm, and worked with Mac computers since l982. The BB Torch is so frustrating. I've wasted so many man hours on trying to sync it with my Mac, RIM should pay me for my efforts. It is futile.

I got a BB because I like the keyboard and I have trouble with the iPhone keyboard, its fragile, its lack of warranty, its not rechargeable battery life, etc.

BB duplicates or deletes my contacts, (luckily, I've backed them up). I have wasted whole weekends on trying to solve this problem. IT'S JUST A CELL PHONE! GET A LIFE! ( I say to myself.)
    01-04-11 12:34 AM
    I am in the same situation as you all. I am going around day to day with an iPhone 3G that has my calendar on it for the past several yrs & new phone is BB 9000 since July 2010, that I haven't been able to get sync via iCal nor Google w/out duplicates or deletions of older dates via my Mac laptops. I don't want to use a Windows computer to sync calendar but... it is beginning to look that way. I will keep hoping RIM will come up w/Mac solutions as I now have less than 2 yrs contract w/AT&T.
    01-05-11 05:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD