I have OS 4.2.2.66 on my 8830. RIM has a new version, 4.3, but one needs a Windows machine to install it. Does anyone know of a workaround?
    05-29-08 07:19 PM
    You must be looking at the wrong software cause there is no 4.3 OS update for the 8830. And no, there is no work around.
    05-29-08 07:27 PM
    Verizon told me that it was available and recommended upgrading, but their tech people couldn't help with a Mac. They suggested that I get someone with a Windows machine to install the software and hook up to it to upgrade.
    05-29-08 07:31 PM
    There's Desktop Manager 4.3, but it is strictly a windows only program. There is no 4.3 OS for the 8830.
    05-29-08 08:01 PM
    If you have a copy of windows you could use boot camp and build small windows partition on your MAC. I use Parallels to run Windows XP Home and a few Windows only apps I have to run.
    05-30-08 11:41 AM
    AHHHH i would never put windooozeee on my mac!!!!

But i had a friend go to the store and the tech geeks did it for her. But it was on a pearl not 8830.
    05-30-08 08:35 PM
    You know, RIM needs to create some program that will allow you to do software updates on Macs. Not everyone has PC's and hearing that the upcoming Bold will work directly with iTunes, I would sincerely hope that they'll do make the BB software update compatible with mac
    06-10-08 09:31 PM
    If you have a copy of windows you could use boot camp and build small windows partition on your MAC. I use Parallels to run Windows XP Home and a few Windows only apps I have to run.
    Yuck!! XP Home?? At least respect the Mac enough to install XP Pro!
    06-11-08 07:45 AM
    AHHHH i would never put windooozeee on my mac!!!!

But i had a friend go to the store and the tech geeks did it for her. But it was on a pearl not 8830.
    I would rather have a Windows VM (thru Parallels or Fusion) on my Mac dedicated for syncing my Curve than to go through all of the hassle and headaches of PocketMac and Missing Sync.

Along with that, you still do not get full functionality with any Mac "solution" for the BlackBerry... so I resort to Windows. Believe me, it killed me when I put the Windows VM on my Macbook Pro, but all the hassle it has saved me makes up for it. If I had a choice and there was an option available, then I would use DM for Mac and forget the Windows VM. I am a Mac person all the way... from before iPod and OSX and all that fancy crap!! haha
    06-11-08 07:48 AM
    You know, RIM needs to create some program that will allow you to do software updates on Macs. Not everyone has PC's and hearing that the upcoming Bold will work directly with iTunes, I would sincerely hope that they'll do make the BB software update compatible with mac
    They are (supposedly) working on it, but I wouldn't hold your breath!

And if they did release DM for OSX I think it would help RIM's sales because compatibility with Macs would be far improved (especially since the new iPhone came out and works seamlessly with Mac and Windows).
    06-11-08 07:50 AM
    Yuck!! XP Home?? At least respect the Mac enough to install XP Pro!
    I chose XP Home because I don't user it for anything more than syncing my BB for Flex Wallet, adding apps and OS update. Why spend the extra coin on XP Pro for something so small.
    06-11-08 12:12 PM
    I chose XP Home because I don't user it for anything more than syncing my BB for Flex Wallet, adding apps and OS update. Why spend the extra coin on XP Pro for something so small.
    True that. I just get XP Pro for free from my previous work so there is no reason for me to use Home! haha

From past experience though, Home is a lot slower and crappier than the already crappy Windows. haha

And I totally understand where you are coming from, I use Windows to sync my BB and that is it!! hahaha
    06-11-08 03:33 PM
    Thanks but what's with the hahaha
    06-14-08 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD