So I am new to both the Blackberry (8320) and Mac. Can I sync these two together and if so, are there lots of problems or is it pretty smooth? What software should I use? What kind of things can you sync and what kind of things can you not sync?

I have downloaded PocketMac 4.1.25 but haven't installed it yet.

Thanks in advance!
    01-24-09 02:44 AM
    Welcome to CB and by your "handle" if you are one of our troops protecting our freedom-thank you, thank you, thank you!
    You can sync only your contact info, iCal, ITunes, iPhoto with PM. To back up or upgrade/download an official OS release or a leaked OS you will need a PC to run BB DM. If you have a new Mac with OS X you can load BB DM on windows Xp (I have this) or Vista using Boot Camp or a software virtual program like VMware (my preference) or Parallels. If PM doesn't work for you there is Missing Sync, which some Mac users prefer but it costs $40. You can google Missing Sync for the website. Good luck and again welcome to CB!
    01-24-09 12:01 PM
    I would definitely have to recommend the MissingSync over PocketMac. When I first got my Berry I read far too many posts and articles on the problems with PocketMac.

I agree with fcortese, until RIM releases Desktop Manager for mac you will need Windows to run DM for OS updates and backups.
    01-26-09 03:02 PM
    What can missingsync do that PocketMac cannot? Why should I pay $40 for something that can do the same thing for free?
    01-27-09 01:16 AM
    Both programs have their positives and negatives... why not try the freebee one.. and see if you are happy.

WHen it does not do anything you wish.. go try the one you have to pay for..

hopefully then you will be happy with the results..

If that does not work..

then too bad for you.. seriously..not much after that..

RIM does not support OS X. THIS IS THE OFFICIAL PARTY LINE.

So then that means .. yes you are gonna have to dust off the OL' PC from the basement. and load up DM.

(.....join the club.)
    01-27-09 01:21 AM
    I have gone ahead and installed PocketMac. It certainly isn't anything fancy and really didn't do a whole lot. My calendar copied over pretty well and most of the contacts transferred. Besides that it wasn't much good.

I can shoot my music and pictures over by bluetooth though and I'm not sure what else I need to be able to do. I'm not opposed to paying for a program, just not sure why I need to if it is going to do the same thing I can already do.
    01-27-09 01:27 AM

So then that means .. yes you are gonna have to dust off the OL' PC from the basement. and load up DM.

(.....join the club.)
    It's funny you mention that, a few weeks before I bought my Bold I retired (or so I thought) my PC and made my move over to Mac a permanent thing (or so I thought). Now, not more than a month after I put the thing away, I got my Bold and quickly realized that it was only a matter of time before I had to drag the PC back out just to run DM.

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." haha

Skytrain
    01-27-09 03:32 AM
    It's funny you mention that, a few weeks before I bought my Bold I retired (or so I thought) my PC and made my move over to Mac a permanent thing (or so I thought). Now, not more than a month after I put the thing away, I got my Bold and quickly realized that it was only a matter of time before I had to drag the PC back out just to run DM.

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in." haha

Skytrain
    ya man.. if a company is to be taken serious nowadays.. turning your back on OS X is a like taking a spaceship to the sun..

Garmin used to be anti OS X also for years with their GPS software..... but eventually they came to their senses.
    01-27-09 03:00 PM
    ya man.. if a company is to be taken serious nowadays.. turning your back on OS X is a like taking a spaceship to the sun..

Garmin used to be anti OS X also for years with their GPS software..... but eventually they came to their senses.
    Yeah, exactly, and I was kind of sitting on the fence over switching full-time because I didn't want to end up having to run both computers just because Mac wasn't supported for a number of things that I wanted to do. But I figured that those days (for most mainstream stuff anyways) were finally coming to a close. I guess not, thanks RIM!

Skytrain
    01-27-09 04:20 PM
    Regardless.. My BB DUMBPHONE will always take a backseat to OS X... so for such reasons.. I learn to live with its shortcomings .

It is not like I am gonna go back to WinCrap for the sake of my DUMBPHONE.

Hardware speaking it is fine, but software-wise.. it is lacking.. I have just learned not to rely on any syncing capabilities.

sux to be me.
    Last edited by shabbasuraj; 01-27-09 at 06:17 PM.
    01-27-09 06:10 PM
    Pocket Mac syncs with my iCal, Addresses....and keeps all my notes etc. Switching from my pearl to my Storm was as easy as syncing it.

Other than that, get iSquint. . . converts vids to mp4.

That's all i need that's Mac specific....I see a huge plus with the Mac setup i have, actually. I didn't have to load any software out of the box.

......Yes. I have the App loader for upgrading my firmware installed at work. (PC)...one limitation to Macs i guess. ; )
    01-27-09 10:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD