BlackBerry - HEY are you listening? I can't believe I'm running into yet another issue with your horribly ineffectual implementation.

In short - BB Link is HORRIBLE!! Multiple issues:

1/ On previous threads there were noted issues with BB Link corrupting PCs to the point of constant blue screens. And then, you can't even uninstall the program. Numerous threads exist on this known problem, but they all end in dead end trails. So I still have one PC with constant blue screens. BB Link doesn't work... and no amount of effort results in being able to actually uninstall BB Link.

2/ On a new PC, BB Link for me will not connect to my BB ID. It never asked for my username and password, but simply goes directly to a screen that says "Can't connect because no internet connection is available". Well guess what, every other application is successfully accessing the internet on this machine, so why the hell does BB Link think it is not connected to internet. Another thread full of dead ends has not resolved this issue.

3/ Now.... I'm installed BB Link on a brand new MacBook Air. It has successfully installed and connected to my BB ID. However, it will not recognize my Z10 when connected. The Mac recognizes the Z10 and I can access all files on the Z10, but BB Link will not recognize that it is connected.

The result of all this is that I have a new Z10 that I'd like to activate from backup of my old Z10... but due to this worthless pile of scum called BlackBerry Link... I am dead in the water. Three computers... three dead ends.

You know BlackBerry - the ability to control, sync and such with desktop used to be one of your strong points in the old days... but now is just one more example of why your whole brand is a "Has BEEN".

BB Link - epic FAILURE
    BBM cross platform - epic FAILURE
    BB OS Updates in my country - epic FAILURE (non existent)
    BB Marketing - epic FAILURE - hardly anyone even know you still exist

BlackBerry - what the H377 are you doing? Do you even want to succeed anymore?

BlackBerry is finished... and I'm so very disappointed.
    03-01-14 01:15 PM
    My BB Link works.. no problems thus far.. sorry man.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-01-14 02:19 PM
    Reps from BB may be reading the forums, but unless the problems are being reported directly to them they may not even acknowledge them here. You would be best served by reporting to them directly.

On my PC, it is working perfectly fine. No use to you but at least you know the problems your having are not affecting everyone.
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-01-14 02:30 PM
    Again, not that this helps you specifically, but I have installed and uninstalled Link on about a dozen pcs - both laptops and desktops, running windows 7 and windows 8. Never had any of these problems. No problems at all actually.

Apart from wanting more granular control of backups, I have no complaints.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-01-14 02:37 PM
    "A BAD WORKMAN QUARRELS WITH HIS OR HER TOOLS". Just maybe, just maybe you don't know what you are doing. Why? Simply because many others don't share your experiences or views. BB Link is not robust but doesn't mean everything BB is epic failure.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    03-01-14 02:56 PM
    I'm sure glad to hear it is working for some.

Leaves me curious why there are so many dead end threads of unresolved problems.

I'm typically quite computer litterate... and BlackBerry Link is my only problem child.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-01-14 02:57 PM

Leaves me curious why there are so many dead end threads of unresolved problems.

I'm typically quite computer litterate... and BlackBerry Link is my only problem child.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Not many people will post a thread entitled "Everything working great with Link!".

Anyhow, sorry you are having problems.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 03:23 PM
    Not many people will post a thread entitled "Everything working great with Link!".

Anyhow, sorry you are having problems.

Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2141

Posted via CB10
    True... but there are some very specific threads of folks having the exact problems I've had... and all end in dead ends with no resolution.

Having used BlackBerry and their desktop software for years... I don't think it's just me.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-01-14 03:59 PM

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Please be honest, are you really surprised to hear that BB Link works for some people? Maybe you might agree that the general consensus is that BB Link needs to be more robust. Like I say all the time, there is no perfect product out there. If you think otherwise please prove it..
    Are there people (including you) that have unresolved issues with BB Link, of course yes. Do I think that such experience will be frustrating, of course yes. But that's not sufficient reason to "throw the bath water and the baby in it away" like you were doing

"You know BlackBerry - the ability to control, sync and such with desktop used to be one of your strong points in the old days... but now is just one more example of why your whole brand is a "Has BEEN".

BB Link - epic FAILURE

BlackBerry is finished... and I'm so very disappointed."

Finally, it's nothing personal and I don't have any reason to question whether you are computer literate . Remember, even highly skilled Medical Doctors sometimes make mistakes at the operating table; also even highly skilled NASA engineers make mistakes too. To err is human.
    Maybe you should review how you installed the BB Link or clean everything and start a fresh. Keep at the back of you mind that BB Link is really a work in progress.
    03-01-14 03:59 PM
    Absolutely no problems with my set up here in Belfast.???
    03-01-14 04:05 PM
    Please be honest, are you really surprised to hear that BB Link works for some people? Maybe you might agree that the general consensus is that BB Link needs to be more robust. Like I say all the time, there is no perfect product out there. If you think otherwise please prove it..
    Are there people (including you) that have unresolved issues with BB Link, of course yes. Do I think that such experience will be frustrating, of course yes. But that's not sufficient reason to "throw the bath water and the baby in it away" like you were doing

"You know BlackBerry - the ability to control, sync and such with desktop used to be one of your strong points in the old days... but now is just one more example of why your whole brand is a "Has BEEN".

BB Link - epic FAILURE

BlackBerry is finished... and I'm so very disappointed."

Finally, it's nothing personal and I don't have any reason to question whether you are computer literate . Remember, even highly skilled Medical Doctors sometimes make mistakes at the operating table; also even highly skilled NASA engineers make mistakes too. To err is human.
    Maybe you should review how you installed the BB Link or clean everything and start a fresh. Keep at the back of you mind that BB Link is really a work in progress.
    I hear you, I really do.

But note we're talking 3 different computers and 2 different operating systems...and I've already uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times.

Nothing works. And with multiple other threads with the same problem... I still think this is more than an isolated problem.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-01-14 04:07 PM
    I unistalled mine 2 weeks ago and am afraid to re-install.
    03-01-14 04:30 PM
    Agree. Completely. Weakest part of the experience for me and has been since day 1. There are work arounds, but would love Link to just work "as designed".

Don't agree. Bumpy start, but it's working now and they've been making updates to it regularly. (Unlike Link). Plus they added something like 40 million people as a result.

Assume you're in the US. I agree, but I don't know what they can do about it. The US carriers don't seem to give a crap. Everyone else has updates but the US. And it's been that way for several releases now.

Didn't know you spoke to everyone! ;-)

Now you're getting a little over-melodramatic.
    03-01-14 04:43 PM
    True... but there are some very specific threads of folks having the exact problems I've had... and all end in dead ends with no resolution.

Having used BlackBerry and their desktop software for years... I don't think it's just me.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Here's the thing, if it was an issue with BB Link software coding directly, then these issues would effect EVERYONE. That being said, there is a whole slew of reasons to run into software issues. Firewall could be blocking BB ID Connection, also could be blocking the USB connection (I have had that issue with Vipre) It could be the USB drivers that are installed are generic and not the specific ones for your chipset. It could be another piece of software that is installed using their own version of system library files that may work great for them, but conflict with the default versions that other software uses. I have even seen bad RAM cause issues like this where almost everything works but a few pieces of software that just happens to make a memory allocation call that causes the blue screen.

I could keep going on and on here. But in the end, you have to realize if the software is working for the large percentage, then typically it is not a coding issue in the software itself causing issues for the other percentage, but a conflict with something else.

As for:
    BBM Cross platform is doing well. What makes you an expert on if it was an epic failure besides reading articles on those iphone loving sites claiming it was a failure. BB hasn't been releasing numbers on this not because it has been a failure but because it really doesn't matter as long as there is growth of some sort.

BB OS Updates - As mentioned here hundreds of times, BLAME YOUR CARRIER. It's not like BB held back their update just for certain carriers. They put them out to all, and try to arrange a synced time for all carriers to roll these out.

Just my two cents.
    03-01-14 04:49 PM
    BlackBerry - HEY are you listening? I can't believe I'm running into yet another issue with your horribly ineffectual implementation.

1/ On previous threads there were noted issues with BB Link corrupting PCs to the point of constant blue screens. And then, you can't even uninstall the program. Numerous threads exist on this known problem, but they all end in dead end trails. So I still have one PC with constant blue screens. BB Link doesn't work... and no amount of effort results in being able to actually uninstall BB Link.

2/ On a new PC, BB Link for me will not connect to my BB ID. It never asked for my username and password, but simply goes directly to a screen that says "Can't connect because no internet connection is available". Well guess what, every other application is successfully accessing the internet on this machine, so why the hell does BB Link think it is not connected to internet. Another thread full of dead ends has not resolved this issue.

3/ Now.... I'm installed BB Link on a brand new MacBook Air. It has successfully installed and connected to my BB ID. However, it will not recognize my Z10 when connected. The Mac recognizes the Z10 and I can access all files on the Z10, but BB Link will not recognize that it is connected.

The result of all this is that I have a new Z10 that I'd like to activate from backup of my old Z10... but due to this worthless pile of scum called BlackBerry Link... I am dead in the water. Three computers... three dead ends.

You know BlackBerry - the ability to control, sync and such with desktop used to be one of your strong points in the old days... but now is just one more example of why your whole brand is a "Has BEEN".

BB Link - epic FAILURE

i have a Q5 and Q10,,,,,,does not recognize either one......i feel your pain
    03-01-14 04:58 PM
    Just throwing this out.....

Call me a CLEAN FREAK! But my habit, with Blackberry desktop software has always been;

1...Run Ccleaner before installation. Both the clean and Reg cleaner.
    2...Restart Computer
    3...Install
    4...If I'm going to install an update, then I uninstall the current version
    and start at 1 again.

I have experienced some problems, but not significant enough to rant. Could it be better? Yes...

WOOPS! Sorry, just realized I was in a Mac forum. My points are probably moot, since I-products "just work".
    03-01-14 06:53 PM
    I also never had a single issue with BlackBerry Link or BlackBerry Desktop Software.
    03-01-14 07:40 PM
    Here's the thing, if it was an issue with BB Link software coding directly, then these issues would effect EVERYONE. That being said, there is a whole slew of reasons to run into software issues. Firewall could be blocking BB ID Connection, also could be blocking the USB connection (I have had that issue with Vipre) It could be the USB drivers that are installed are generic and not the specific ones for your chipset. It could be another piece of software that is installed using their own version of system library files that may work great for them, but conflict with the default versions that other software uses. I have even seen bad RAM cause issues like this where almost everything works but a few pieces of software that just happens to make a memory allocation call that causes the blue screen.

I could keep going on and on here. But in the end, you have to realize if the software is working for the large percentage, then typically it is not a coding issue in the software itself causing issues for the other percentage, but a conflict with something else.

As for:

BBM Cross platform is doing well. What makes you an expert on if it was an epic failure besides reading articles on those iphone loving sites claiming it was a failure. BB hasn't been releasing numbers on this not because it has been a failure but because it really doesn't matter as long as there is growth of some sort.

BB OS Updates - As mentioned here hundreds of times, BLAME YOUR CARRIER. It's not like BB held back their update just for certain carriers. They put them out to all, and try to arrange a synced time for all carriers to roll these out.

Just my two cents.
    BBM cross platform is NOT doing well. I personally convinced over 2 dozen iPhone users to try it. They've all given up due to poor reliability compared to other apps. And with delivery notification basically inoperative unless the app is constantly in use, it's not worth much. This has been covered and confirmed in numerous threads...not just me...

As for pushing updates, in the case of Tmo USA, it is NOT the carrier's fault. Again, as covered in numerous threads, OS 10.2 has flaws that make it conflict with Tmo wifi calling. Now... I realize not all carriers have this feature, but in the case of Tmo at least, BlackBerry released an OS with flaws that prevent wifi calling from working.

To my knowledge, and I've asked in numerous threads, not one carrier ANYWHERE has succeeded in getting wifi calling to work with 10.2 or later... and this includes leaks (correct me if I'm wrong here...cuz I'm really curious).

Given this...it certainly DOES appear to be flaws in the OS which Tmo is expecting BlackBerry to fix...and they won't push it until wifi calling works.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-02-14 04:29 PM
    BBM cross platform is NOT doing well. I personally convinced over 2 dozen iPhone users to try it.
    Your social circle does not equal the world. Your points are valid but assuming the world acts the way your friends personally act is silly.

I know many iPhone and Android users who use it all the time now to talk to me and to each other. Your trend is no more valid than my trend and certainly not significant when representing tens of millions of people

Posted via CB10
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    03-02-14 08:04 PM
    Your social circle does not equal the world. Your points are valid but assuming the world acts the way your friends personally act is silly.

I know many iPhone and Android users who use it all the time now to talk to me and to each other. Your trend is no more valid than my trend and certainly not significant when representing tens of millions of people

Posted via CB10
    Firstly, my circle of friends spans the globe, so it is not just a local phenomenon.

Further, the trend is well documented in many threads by lots of others.

I remain hopeful (voice calling will help) but the trends are most certainly in the wrong direction.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    03-03-14 10:49 AM
    Firstly, my circle of friends spans the globe, so it is not just a local phenomenon.

Further, the trend is well documented in many threads by lots of others.

I remain hopeful (voice calling will help) but the trends are most certainly in the wrong direction.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    You would seriously fail a statistics class if you made assumptions based upon your friends and then a couple of threads in a pretty focused tech blog.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 03-10-14 at 06:41 AM.
    03-10-14 05:31 AM
    What version of Windows are you running? My Link works perfectly on win7.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925/Telus
    03-10-14 05:55 AM