hello all

ok, not only am i a virgin smartphoner, but i've never used a forum before, so hope this works...

i need a smartphone - i use a MacBookPro OSX 10.4.11 (whatever that means...) and need to sync entourage and ical to my smartphone and also would like sat nav (either in smartphone or, if needs be, to buy separately)

my business partner (also on macbook) has just bought an iPhone and loves it - it syncs perfectly...BUT, i struggle with it really - not into touch screen (keep making loads of mistakes and it annoys me).

so, been looking at the BB8310 - keyboard intuitive, loving the satnav which is a must for me (and with iPhone i'd have to buy satnav separately)...BUT, petrified that I'll buy it and not be able to sync properly....which is my main reasons for purchase

cost isn't the issue really - it's usability....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
    01-23-08 05:54 AM
    I am a new 8130 user. After a full week with it, I have to say I love it. It is my first BB. I went from a krazr and iPhone (yes I had 2 services and carried 2 phones) and this blows away the iPhone. I can say with confidence that you will love the 8130 for it's functionality and size.
    01-23-08 07:19 AM
    But I don't know how easy it is to sync with a mac. I think if you buy "missing sync" it will work great for you. But that's just a guess from reading the posts here. I wonder what john clark would say...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-08 07:37 AM
    thanks so much for your votes of confidence in the BB - must say, i think it rocks - BUT, does it sync properly...can't afford to make the mistake really...they tie you into an 18 month contract in the UK
    01-23-08 07:52 AM
    I still have my two laptops(work and personal) and a Dell Axim(......that is gathering dust) and a handfull of smartphones. My Curve is in use constantly. You'll be glad you got the Curve. Also, welcome to Crackberry

01-23-08 08:01 AM
    Not sure about the Mac issue but I had an iPhone and the BB, IMO, blows away the iPhone. My neighbor uses Mac and has never mentioned a problem. He's out of the country for 2 months or I would ask him more questions. He also converted from am iPhone.

I can do everything with the BB I could with the iPhone plus so much more. Ok, maybe not watch You Tube while sitting around an airport, but that was the only sacrifice. I am constantly traveling and have not carried my laptop on a trip for the past 2 months. I did not have that much confidence in the iPhone. The only real plus to an iPhone is the big screen.
    01-23-08 08:20 AM
    pocketmac.com should be able to provide you with some more help. I don't use a mac, but this is the site my BB rep has given me to pass on to customers who use a mac. This link will show you all supported devices. (Everything for Blackberry on this site is under Research In Motion)

Which PocketMac Is For Me? Choose Your Device & PocketMac Product... | Call Toll Free 1-866-POCK-MAC
    01-23-08 08:46 AM
    Not sure about the Mac issue but I had an iPhone and the BB, IMO, blows away the iPhone. My neighbor uses Mac and has never mentioned a problem. He's out of the country for 2 months or I would ask him more questions. He also converted from am iPhone.

I can do everything with the BB I could with the iPhone plus so much more. Ok, maybe not watch You Tube while sitting around an airport, but that was the only sacrifice. I am constantly traveling and have not carried my laptop on a trip for the past 2 months. I did not have that much confidence in the iPhone. The only real plus to an iPhone is the big screen.
    If you want YouTube, They are going very mobile now. I don't know about BB, but if I was able to watch videos on my KRZR, i'm sure you can do it on the BB. Just try it. Check out Google Mobile's YouTube.

----

and -"pmas", You sound exactly like me. I'm trading in my Apple iPod Touch and my Sprint KRZR for a BB Pearl. lol
    02-20-08 03:03 AM

i need a smartphone...
    Definitely, BlackBerry 8310.

Or 8320 so that you can get wifi.
    02-20-08 03:05 AM
    hello all

ok, not only am i a virgin smartphoner, but i've never used a forum before, so hope this works...

i need a smartphone - i use a MacBookPro OSX 10.4.11 (whatever that means...) and need to sync entourage and ical to my smartphone and also would like sat nav (either in smartphone or, if needs be, to buy separately)

my business partner (also on macbook) has just bought an iPhone and loves it - it syncs perfectly...BUT, i struggle with it really - not into touch screen (keep making loads of mistakes and it annoys me).

so, been looking at the BB8310 - keyboard intuitive, loving the satnav which is a must for me (and with iPhone i'd have to buy satnav separately)...BUT, petrified that I'll buy it and not be able to sync properly....which is my main reasons for purchase

cost isn't the issue really - it's usability....HELP PLEASE!!!!!!
    BB all the way ... The ONLY issue I haev with my BB is that USB Mass Storage is sometimes finiky and charging via the USB to my MacBook Pro is damn slow and doesn't charge properly. But I think that is my MacBook Pro issue.
    02-20-08 09:25 AM
    You should have a 14 day period where you can return the phone in the uk especially if you explain the situation: it would be worth your while checking that out if you decide to purchase and you find you can't sync:

02-20-08 09:56 AM
    I'm a BB 8310 user in the UK and I also use a Macbook. I find that syncing the 8310 to the Macbook is a doddle, easier than any other phone I've had but I've never had an Iphone to make a comparison. I can't imagine it being much easier though personally. But do bare in mind that charging the 8310 through your Macbook isn't the quickest or most reliable way to charge it.
    02-22-08 08:19 AM
    From an iphone AND 8310 curve owner...
    Ok, well, I see that I may be outnumbered here but I bought my wife an Iphone back at the end of October and I love it. It is extremely intuitive, easy to use and the applications are great. I have an Ibook g3 and a Powerbook g4 and so the syncing is perfect. Many people have issues with the typing and touch screen but to me and my wife, thats one of the best things about the iphone. We've had little trouble with typos (maybe we have smaller fingers??) unlike most of the people have stated here. It is waaay simpler and I believe that its a better phone.

The Curve is great... the keys are really tiny though and its not too intuitive... it took the forums just to find out how to set my phone to notify me when I get an email.... I did figure out how to pair my Powerbook and the phone over bluetooth in a few min and have pushed songs/pics and vids in almost all formats over from my mac. (i did have to drop the size of the video files which I usually use Isquint to format for tv at its highest level.) getting the vids down to 8-11mb area and it still looks good on the 8310.

I have set up the Iphone and the 8310 to receive our personal email accounts thru our friends private server and that was cake on both phones. However, the Iphone also supports my wifes Work email as well. I have not tested the BB on two email accounts.

Overall, I think the BB just has a longer learning curve (no pun intended) and isnt as refined. At this point I would have to say the Iphone rules, especially for the Mac user. you just cant beat 8 or 16gb of storage that syncs that easily...
    02-22-08 10:35 PM
    Just like most of the people above. Only thing I can say is, I'm a ex iphone user also. The iphone gps is really handy. But having a bb8310 was the best decision ever never thought twice about going back to the iphone.

02-22-08 10:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD