Hello all, I'm new to this forum, but fdefinetly not new to BB's

I have a MacBook Pro and I'm always on the move because of my job (I'm Military). I use the USB cable for charging and notice that it takes forever to charge. Not only that but when I plug in the BB it tells me that the USB does not have enough current to charge ... it takes a good 6 - 8 hours to charge 3 bars.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
    02-20-08 09:11 AM
    The reason it takes so long to charge is because you have to remember that as long as you have the MacBook on, it is using battery power as well. Therefore you are actually charging both the laptop AND the BB with a single electrical supply. Using the USB connection to charge a BB always takes much longer because the power the comes thru the USB port is not as great as if it was coming directly thru an AC adapter. IMO it is best to use the AC adapter to charge the BB. It works much faster and is less of a drain on your laptop battery. That way you can save the battery on your laptop for when you need to use it without the power cord.
    02-20-08 09:25 AM
    The reason it takes so long to charge is because you have to remember that as long as you have the MacBook on, it is using battery power as well. Therefore you are actually charging both the laptop AND the BB with a single electrical supply. Using the USB connection to charge a BB always takes much longer because the power the comes thru the USB port is not as great as if it was coming directly thru an AC adapter. IMO it is best to use the AC adapter to charge the BB. It works much faster and is less of a drain on your laptop battery. That way you can save the battery on your laptop for when you need to use it without the power cord.
    Hrmm, that's wierd cause when I charge it at home with my iMac it works perfectly ... also, I have my MacBook PRO pluged in when I'm charging my BB.
    02-20-08 09:29 AM
    I haven't tried to fully charge mine, but it does charge while connected.
    So as to time I can't be of much help.
    But maybe I can on another issue using your usb as a charging station.
    Due to the nature of the Lithium-ion battery, if it goes completely dead, you will need to use the AC wall adapter. When a Li-ion does die, it needs an extra boost to get it out of the dead sate. The usb doesn't have enough power to do this so it may never start to charge.
    How to prolong lithium-based batteries
    02-20-08 09:51 AM
    When you charge it at home with your iMac, is it plugged into a wall outlet? This is the difference. You are still getting a full electrical current running through the iMac, which is transferred to the BB.

When you're running off the battery power of the MacBook, it'll take much longer.
    02-20-08 11:43 AM
    When you charge it at home with your iMac, is it plugged into a wall outlet?
    Thanks for the post ... a little less sarcasm on your next comment would be appreciated though.

I think i'll just resort to charging via the wall adapter.

Thanks to those that replied ... your knowledge has helped on this topic.
    02-20-08 12:18 PM
    Sorry...I honestly wasn't being sarcastic. I was truly being inquisitive. Sarcasm was the last thing on my mind when I responded to you.
    02-20-08 01:50 PM
    Ok, thank you for clerifying.
    02-20-08 02:46 PM
    When you charge it at home with your iMac, is it plugged into a wall outlet?
    Thanks for the post ... a little less sarcasm on your next comment would be appreciated though.
    I think he meant if the iMac is plugged in, versus your MacBook Pro which might be running off a battery.
    I've noticed that too, if my MacBook Pro is plugged in to the wall then the BB charges faster than if the MacBook Pro is just running off battery.
    02-27-08 05:02 PM
    I am getting the "not enough power" message too. I just switched to the MacBook Pro from an IBM Thinkpad - never had the problem charging with that.

I went by the Apple store yesterday and they suggested that I download the desktop manager and that should allow it to charge.

I'm traveling this week and don't have my Blackberry software, and I'm not sure *what* I need to download.

Any thoughts or information?

Thanks!
    06-04-08 03:39 PM
    Limeylily - not sure what the Apple folks were talking about, but you cannot download the Blackberry Desktop Manager on a Mac - it is only for PCs. (Hence the many discussions of PocketMac vs. Missing Sync on this forum - they're the 2 alternate programs for Mac folks to use for syncing their devices, and neither program is very good - we're waiting for BBerry to come out with a version of Desktop Manager for Mac, which rumor says is in the works...)
    06-06-08 02:44 AM
    I think he meant if the iMac is plugged in, versus your MacBook Pro which might be running off a battery.
    I've noticed that too, if my MacBook Pro is plugged in to the wall then the BB charges faster than if the MacBook Pro is just running off battery.
    If he was seriously wondering about the iMac being plugged into a wall outlet, then he is an *****. The iMac is a desktop computer... haha. How would the iMac function if it wasn't plugged into a wall.

PLEASE, tell me he was being sarcastic. lol
    06-06-08 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD