Hi guys.. I was wondering is Apple TV really worth it? Here are my personal uses I think I could get out it.

My media pretty much revolves around iTunes - (pretty much ALL my music and a limited number of movies). Most of my movie collection is on blu ray.

I would LOVE to listen to my music via my home theater and TV with artwork etc. I have a PS3 right now and I can connect via DLNA but I do not like all the subfolders and searching for that particular song etc.. the interface is horrid.

I found out you can watch Hulu via Apple TV

I use Netflix Stream on PS3.. it's ok.. but wonder how the Movie interface and functionality actually works on Apple TV.

Basically I know you can get an airport express thing to play your itunes library through your system but I'd like to have my HDTV involved when playing music via my HT.

I have a Mac Mini - MacBook Pro 13" - Toshitba PC Vista 14" and would love to control everything through the Remote App.
    Last edited by Entertainment72; 02-26-10 at 09:47 AM.
    02-26-10 09:39 AM
    yes, I believe it's worth it. Especially if you have atvflash to it. This opens up a whole slew of other functions on the device. Even without atvflash, I like that I can play my music, stream internet radio stations, play movies, and view my photos all on my TV.
    02-26-10 09:57 AM
    As an owner of one, NO!
    If you only want to play content from iTunes okay.
    But if you want to watch movies, forget it.
    It's painful to get your content in a playable form.

I have one, and it has Boxee on it now.
    02-26-10 01:10 PM
    nope not worth it all. neither is the ipad.
    02-26-10 09:51 PM
    I never use it.
    02-26-10 10:03 PM
    I've been using Netflix Streaming for PS3 and it's not that bad at all so if Apple TV is comparable I might go for it. The only thing the PS3 sucks at is playing my large iTunes music library.

nope not worth it all. neither is the ipad.
    How do you know the iPad is not worth it.. I'll hold judgement till it actually comes out.. at first thought I agree with you though.
    02-27-10 10:04 AM
    Hi guys.. I was wondering is Apple TV really worth it? Here are my personal uses I think I could get out it.
    It is a pricey toy that Apple only seems to barely support. That being said. I have one and love it. I do a lot of what you suggest here.

My media pretty much revolves around iTunes - (pretty much ALL my music and a limited number of movies). Most of my movie collection is on blu ray.
    No blu ray here (or movies in general). But if you already use and like iTunes, this is a great companion. I send only the playlists I create to it. I have a 125gig music collection, so I don't sync the whole thing to it. I do sync all photos though. Which is nice to show people on a large HD tv.

I would LOVE to listen to my music via my home theater and TV with artwork etc. I have a PS3 right now and I can connect via DLNA but I do not like all the subfolders and searching for that particular song etc.. the interface is horrid.
    As stated, iTunes syncs perfectly with it and you can control what you want on it. The album art is a nice touch too. Search and other features are not as robust, but it works.

I found out you can watch Hulu via Apple TV:
    Works as advertised.

I use Netflix Stream on PS3.. it's ok.. but wonder how the Movie interface and functionality actually works on Apple TV.
    Never used Netflix, but Apple offers a lot of good movies for rent. So it meets my needs. The interface is simple enough to purchase. Using your itunes account. It is usually playable after 1% download. All other features, fast forward, rewind, resume etc are all there. Once you hit play, you have 24 hours before the movie deletes itself.

Basically I know you can get an airport express thing to play your itunes library through your system but I'd like to have my HDTV involved when playing music via my HT.
    See above about syncing. You don't need Airport Express.

I have a Mac Mini - MacBook Pro 13" - Toshitba PC Vista 14" and would love to control everything through the Remote App.
    Personally, I hate the Apple remote. The old small white one. Don't know what the new one is like.

Overall I am satisfied. Could it be better? You bet. But it meets my needs. And as someone else stated above, it is hackable for Boxee, and XBMC

Good luck
    03-02-10 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD