02-23-10 09:15 AM
37 12
tools
    I have a mac and decided to try the Mac DTM to update my 8330. My berry is my LIFELINE to work and home. I stayed up all night reading forums as I thought the update was complete and I unplugged the USB. I now have the app error 205 reset and I need to know how to fix it on my mac. I am sick that I even tried to update as I need the info on my phone. I am near crying. I am so sad I decided to use it. Any help would be great. I work in two hours and barely slept as I need that info on my berry.
    02-22-10 07:44 AM
    02-22-10 07:51 AM
    Did you lose any data? apart from the error, is the device working?

If it is not, turn the device off by removing the battery (keep it off for 30 seconds). When you put the battery back in, hold the Escape key (left to End call, right to the trackpad) UNTILL the device boots up. That's booting into safe mode. It should work and allow you to see if your info is there.

Do a backup (or restore you info from one) and check for any apps that might be causing the error.

Sorry it took me 10 minutes to see your post.

@shinkodachi
    Gotta hate this quick reply link error...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/app-...olution-26789/
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-22-10 at 08:08 AM.
    02-22-10 08:01 AM
    @shinkodashi
    Gotta hate this quick reply link error...
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/app-...olution-26789/
    Ah, good catch.
    02-22-10 08:02 AM
    Ah, good catch.
    Annoying, isn't it?

Anyway, follow the solution on the post shinkodachi linked if the safe mode doesn't work. I hope you don't have much of a workday ahead.
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-22-10 at 08:08 AM.
    02-22-10 08:05 AM
    I tried the safe mode and it does not work. Still comes up with the app error 205 reset message and when i try to connect to DTM, it says the phone is not connected. I checked the directions above and as I said I am using a mac. I have HUGE workday ahead. *sigh*

were you referring to the key beside the trackball that is a curved arrow?
    I cannot tell if i lost data as it will not go past the error screen. It powers up.

have you heard of installing parallel on mac to be able to use windows?
    02-22-10 08:20 AM
    and YES, OMg, so annoying.
    02-22-10 08:21 AM
    Bootcamp, isn't it? Allows you to run a Windows OS over the Mac OS you have. I never tried (I'm a PC) but I heard it's not hard to.

Check this thread, same problem: Bricked berry on a mac.

Hope you can duplicate the solution in time for work.
    02-22-10 08:28 AM
    Boot Camp requires a Windows license. It is merely a boot loader to allow one to install and run Windows on a Mac.
    02-22-10 08:36 AM
    Boot Camp requires a Windows license. It is merely a boot loader to allow one to install and run Windows on a Mac.
    As if both XP's installation cd and key were that hard to come by on the internet.

Seeing the graveness of the matter (bringing a Blackberry back to life ) I guess it's ok to do it.

She can always get rid of it after she's done.

But let's hope the solution on the other thread works and she does'nt have to go over the hassle.
    02-22-10 08:42 AM
    As if both XP's installation cd and key were that hard to come by on the internet.

Seeing the graveness of the matter (bringing a Blackberry back to life ) I guess it's ok to do it.
    It is never OK to pirate software and I question your understanding of what is legal and illegal. I won't comment further on this one though, you're right that there is something more important going on: trying to bring a BlackBerry back to life.
    02-22-10 08:45 AM
    I will try purchasing parallell first.....I think it runs windows inside mac.

crap. I am going to have a stroke.
    02-22-10 08:46 AM
    Venus,

Let me know when you get this resolved I'm going to retitle the thread to something more descriptive and then move it to the Mac Users Forum, so others with the same problem can find it easier, BUT I want to make sure you get helped first. So let me know when these guys finish helping you.
    02-22-10 08:47 AM
    I know little of Macs... But I Paralell has a trial, might be just what you need! I can't find if it has a "built in windows" or if it's just like Bootcamp.

Am I to assume the solution they found over the 8500 forums didn't work?
    02-22-10 08:53 AM
    I wish I could help, but my Mac knowledge is VERY limited.
    02-22-10 08:56 AM
    Love it when I may educate people who know little about Macs

Buying Parallels won't help you. You will still need a Windows license and installation CD. Unlike Boot Camp, Parallels allows you to run Windows in a window inside Mac OS X without the need to reboot your Mac to get to Windows.
    02-22-10 08:58 AM
    The solution provided is only for PC. I read it over and over all night.

the systems are just not the same.
    02-22-10 08:59 AM
    i read a post last night where a mac user says he downloaded parallel and then followed the pc instructions and it worked.

I sure hope he is right!!! i have never heard of bootcamp.
    02-22-10 09:01 AM
    Crackberry Mac users will help you get this resolved, and when they do, this thread will then become the Mac solution, and I will relocated it and re title it. That's how we roll here.
    02-22-10 09:03 AM
    I was refearing to this, quoted below for speed:

Dear Friends. I have run into the same problem with my Blackberry and the new Mac Desktop Manager. I have some steps to recover and upload your new OS.

-Start Blackberry Desktop Manager
    -In the Window Menu open the log window
    -Connect your cable to your Blackberry first and then connect to the other end to your mac
    -Now you should see some log lines starting to appear until they repeat showing "Throwing Unsupported Device....." It will loop about 20 to 25 times, then, the Desktop Manager will recognize that it needs to upload the OS on the device and suddenly you will get the window to choose which OS to load. Make sure the battery is in the blackberry otherwise it won't be able to recognize the device PIN.

Hope it helps, it worked for me (Blackberry Curve 8350i Nextel)
    -
    02-22-10 09:04 AM
    i've been keeping up with this thread and i can only hope that your blackberry gets fixed. good luck buddy. i hope it all works out for you. These guys on crackberry are pro's follow everything thorougly, and relax so you dont make any mistakes. good luck
    02-22-10 09:07 AM
    BlackBerry Knowledge Base has an article about this: "Application Error 205" appears on the BlackBerry smartphone

However the information it presents leads to a solution that can only be performed using the Desktop Manager software for Windows. Now while technically a Mac and PC are similar, their software differs a lot. Boot Camp is software from Apple, which will allow a Mac user to install Windows on a Mac: Boot Camp 2.0, Mac OS X 10.5: Frequently asked questions

Parallels Desktop is virtualization software. What it allows you to do is to install and run Windows side-by-side while Mac OS X is running. In less technical terms it allows you to run Windows as an application inside Mac OS X without the need to shut down and reload your PC to switch between the operating systems.

Both Boot Camp and Parallels will require you to have a Windows installation CD and license key. Purchasing Parallels alone will not resolve your issue. Your best option would be to ask a friend with a Windows PC to help you bring your BlackBerry back to life.
    02-22-10 09:07 AM
    Your best option would be to ask a friend with a Windows PC to help you bring your BlackBerry back to life.
    Well in this case, she could just take her device, cable and DM cd to work (where I suppose they will have a PC she can use) and setup a lil BB hospital there.

Should be necessary to download a OS. One of those, whichever you refer.

Telus latest 4.5 OS

Latest 8330 5.0 OS (Boost Mobile, requires removing Vendor.xml)

We can't fix the lost-night problem thou.
    02-22-10 09:21 AM
    Well in this case, she could just take her device, cable and DM cd to work (where I suppose they will have a PC she can use) and setup a lil BB hospital there.
    Otherwise a good idea, but you overlooked something. Most business and work computers are permitted to be used by employees with limited permissions only and a user is not allowed to install or run any software except that what is already installed on the computer. There is no way around this unless the op has access to the administrator account. Keep in mind that most work computers are OEM and come from a company like Dell or Fujitsu. Both are known for "crippling" the user experience on these computers for obvious security reasons.

BlackBerry Desktop Manager requires administrator rights and installs USB driver software, both points which are most likely going to make the "lil' BB hospital" idea to fall.
    02-22-10 09:27 AM
    Let's hope some (or at lease one she can get her hands on) aren't or she'll have a hard time today.
    02-22-10 09:33 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD