Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on Mac OS X - CrossOver Mac - CodeWeavers

Friend of mine showed me this program. it runs windows programs on your computer without you having to install windows itself.

Anyone use this before?
    05-10-09 06:14 PM
    No I haven't, I just run Vista Ultimate via Vmware Fusion for my blackberry needs.
    05-10-09 08:58 PM
    I've tried Crossover, and a few other methods in Linux to get the DM working for OS upgrades, with absolutely no success. To the point of not even having the programs recognize the attached device, even though the base system OS could see the devices and the ports. Luckily I have some people that let me jump on their Windows machines to do updates, since it doesn't really take much time. I'd have to recommend that if at all possible.

If you're really really desperate you might want to look into a virtualization program like VirtualBox to emulate the Windows OS and run it through there, but you'll need to be able to set up USB support through all of that, and it might be a pain for OSX users.

However the problem is always going to be getting the program to recognize the hardware and the connected device. Since I don't know many people of having such luck I wouldn't recommend spending money to get that application.
    05-11-09 02:58 AM
    Don't use vmware or crossovers due to the fact that they don't have core level privallieges and WILL screw up your bb just dual boot

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-09 06:50 AM
    i use VMware Fusion with xp to update mine. never had a problem, perfect updates every time.. and have never messed up my bb. I have used it to update every leak with my phone and my gf's phone. Now i have heard a lot of people having problems using crossover, but i have never used it, so i can just tell you from experience that VMware will work for you with xp.
    05-11-09 07:05 AM
    Don't use vmware or crossovers due to the fact that they don't have core level privallieges and WILL screw up your bb just dual boot

FAIL. Fusion works just fine. Crossover is very fussy and Codeweaver essentially has to hand-tweak it to get each supported application running. While this is a generalized statement, if the application is not listed as a supported application, chances are high it will have problems.
    05-11-09 07:47 AM
    No success here either. IN fact, I even had trouble with Parallels. It took too long, etc. So I just update it thru Bootcamp and it works flawlessly. It's the only time I use windows!
    05-11-09 08:12 AM

Wrong. VMware is fine, what you want to stay away from is Parallels. I use VMware all the time, never have issues.
    05-11-09 08:44 AM

What "core level privileges" are you talking about? OSX, or BB? Either way, if you set up Windows inside VMWare or VirtualBox then privileges for running the DM, and therefore upgrading your BB, are set on the virtualization level. The VM won't need any privileges or controls inside your base level OS, just access to the USB drivers/ports.

EDIT: VirtualBox is a free VM, so I suggest testing that out before jumping into any situation where you're spending money without a clear idea of the final result.
    05-11-09 12:52 PM

Sorry, my experience says something different:
    Plug Your BB in when VMWare Fusion is already running. It shows up in the Windows environment only. I did more than a dozen FW upgrades with it, never any issues or problems.

When You disconnect, quit Win and Fusion and plug Your BB in it will show up on the Mac desktop. This way I synchronize it with MissingSync.
    05-11-09 02:03 PM
    I find it amuzing that you must load VM utilities to run another OS on your precious Macs to getanything done in the world. lol x eleventybillion

So much for those "truthful" adds that Mac puts up. Maybe they need some "copy print" on the screen.
    05-11-09 02:58 PM
    Where are you guys getting your copies of Windows?
    05-11-09 02:59 PM
    Where are you guys getting your copies of Windows?
    I walked into the store and purchased mine. That's one of the legal ways to do it. You can also purchase on line, but I don't recommend that I think it's a good idea to have a copy.

Some people have PC's and simply took their disk and installed it that way.

I imagine if you wanted to do it illegally you might be able to find it on bit torrent. But I think that Windows becomes aware of when you activate a copy and will check to see if it's a "genuine" OS. Whatever that means.
    05-11-09 03:16 PM
    I walked into the store and purchased mine. That's one of the legal ways to do it. You can also purchase on line, but I don't recommend that I think it's a good idea to have a copy.

Some people have PC's and simply took their disk and installed it that way.

I imagine if you wanted to do it illegally you might be able to find it on bit torrent. But I think that Windows becomes aware of when you activate a copy and will check to see if it's a "genuine" OS. Whatever that means.
    Well being in college i guess my only solution is to find someone with a pc
    05-11-09 03:19 PM
    I find it amuzing that you must load VM utilities to run another OS on your precious Macs to getanything done in the world. lol x eleventybillion

So much for those "truthful" adds that Mac puts up. Maybe they need some "copy print" on the screen.
    Glad that You are amused. The difference between Mac and Windows?: Windows users are busy with their computers all the time. Mac users get their work done and have fun...

I really appreciate this forum and ALL its members. No reason to sneer at Mac users, they are nice people as a rule.

Sorry, I know: Shall keep to topic!
    05-11-09 03:34 PM
    Glad that You are amused. The difference between Mac and Windows?: Windows users are busy with their computers all the time. Mac users get their work done and have fun...

I really appreciate this forum and ALL its members. No reason to sneer at Mac users, they are nice people as a rule.

Well, we are talking mac here so it's sort of on topic if I say that if RIM delivered what they promised, a DM for Mac, we wouldn't have to use a PC.
    05-11-09 03:40 PM
    Well, we are talking mac here so it's sort of on topic if I say that if RIM delivered what they promised, a DM for Mac, we wouldn't have to use a PC.
    Amen. I think the thing is since now its looking like more and more carriers are doing OTA upgrades primarily its going to be obsolete in a year or so to be using DM at all unless you are a tester.

They would have to not only make the Mac DM program but either make a way for the Mac version to read the .exe files or re code the OS's for mac
    05-11-09 03:58 PM

Seems that's not the case here. I'll have my OS loaded on my Storm before you get done booting your copy of Windows via Bootcamp or other means.

And I wouldn't generalize too much about the Mac is more usable then Windows or anything to do with productivity or stability. It's just not true and I've seen plenty of Mac people with crashed systems.

Back on topic now...
    05-11-09 06:32 PM
    Seems that's not the case here. I'll have my OS loaded on my Storm before you get done booting your copy of Windows via Bootcamp or other means.
    Bull Pucky.

I don't have anything against PC's. I'm not going to tell you that Macs are better, blah blah. Yes, they crash as do programs designed for them. But I can't sit here and just make you statements that are plain false. I know for a fact that I can download an OS faster on my Mac with VMware then my PC right next to me can.

It's all in the Pentium Processor.

Right back atcha.

Now if you want we can get back on topic.
    05-11-09 07:04 PM
    Bull Pucky.

I don't have anything against PC's. I'm not going to tell you that Macs are better, blah blah. Yes, they crash as do programs designed for them. But I can't sit here and just make you statements that are plain false. I know for a fact that I can download an OS faster on my Mac with VMware then my PC right next to me can.

It's all in the Pentium Processor.

Right back atcha.

Now if you want we can get back on topic.
    lol... word... My mac takes 25 seconds from start up to shut down with XP... Last time I checked, most PC's take 1-2 minutes to boot up.... I can probably boot up OSX, Boot up Windows, Shut down windows, shut down OSX waaay before a PC boots up...

Any who, I have ZERO problems using VMware Fusion running XP to load OS updates...
    05-11-09 11:33 PM
    I have both a Mac book pro and a dell XPs desktop and I would pick my Mac anyday over my pc. Well all except for pa update days. I really wish they would release a full blown Mac dm.

05-11-09 11:42 PM
    I use VMWare on my MacBook Pro with Windows XP... It works perfectly fine for all of my updates. And it boots up faster than it does on my PC
    05-12-09 12:33 AM

Really?

05-12-09 02:05 AM
    Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on Mac OS X - CrossOver Mac - CodeWeavers

Friend of mine showed me this program. it runs windows programs on your computer without you having to install windows itself.

Anyone use this before?
    I've tried this on a linux system... it seems that it works with many apps, but not most, and definitely, not all. They have a page that lists the apps that their software is compatible, with various levels of functionality. I highly doubt apploader or DM will function with CrossOver. (can you tell I didn't actually look at the codeweaver page?)
    05-12-09 02:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD