I recently got a Bold.

When I plug it into my iMac or MBP (both the latest models), I get a charge, but no ability to browse it as a disk. The Bold asks if I want to use mass storage device mode, but both options yield the same result: no disk icon on my desktop.

I tried installing both PocketMac and it's "usb update driver" from Blackberry... no luck.

I don't have a memory card in there... but you should be able to browse the built-in folders, right?

How about Bluetooth? I was able to discover the Bold using the Macs, and it registered the device. But whenever I try to "send a file" or "browse the device", I get an error or nothing at all. It just won't work. Isn't this possible?

I don't even want to sync anything! All I want to do is manually put some mp3s on there. Why is this so hard?
    12-02-08 04:19 PM
    This worked on my 8830 and my 8130, so give it a shot.

Once your phone is synced with the Mac, go to the media player, and select music or ringtones, whatever you are sending. Open that, and select the BB button, and then scroll to Receive Using Bluetooth. Enable it if you have to, and then try sending it with the Mac. That should work.
    12-02-08 05:58 PM
    Hello. Thanks, but unfortunately I've tried that, and every time it results in a "file transfer failed" message.

As a side note, I just loaded up Parallels, where I have Windows XP installed, and when I connect it to USB there, XP recognizes the Bold and sets it up properly (removable disks and all).

Why can't I get this to happen in OSX?
    12-02-08 06:02 PM
    I am not sure why that won't work for you with the Bluetooth. I get stuff sent every time with that method.
    12-03-08 09:22 AM
    When connected to windows, I would have 2 drivers, one for the device and one for the media card. Kinda different with my macbook, it would not recognize the device n only show an icon for the media card. That's probably why you can't browse or use drag n drop if you have no memory card installed, mac is only "allowed" to access the media card.

As to the bluetooth problem, I really don't know whats happening. Bluetoothing from macbook to bold never fails me, n I use the same method as Heavy Fluid.
    12-03-08 10:04 AM
    When connected to windows, I would have 2 drivers, one for the device and one for the media card. Kinda different with my macbook, it would not recognize the device n only show an icon for the media card. That's probably why you can't browse or use drag n drop if you have no memory card installed, mac is only "allowed" to access the media card.

As to the bluetooth problem, I really don't know whats happening. Bluetoothing from macbook to bold never fails me, n I use the same method as Heavy Fluid.
    Well, that explains the no drive on the mac thing. What a poor design, though!!

I'll keep messing with Bluetooth.. I guess it's not that important as it's too slow to transfer a bunch of mp3s, anyway.

I don't suppose you guys know any way to get BOTH drives (internal and microSD) showing up on the Mac desktop, do you?
    12-03-08 12:01 PM
    right now there's just no way to get both drives shown on Mac desktop. it's been said that RIM is working on a specific program for Mac users which should be out in Q1 2009.

n I just realized, bluetooth may not be working for you for the same reason, no media card. it simply can't connect mac with the built in folders.
    12-04-08 02:08 AM
    I understand. Well thank you for the help, I'm glad at least someone could finally give me an answer. Kind of amazing how some of these simple capabilities are able to slip under the radar.
    12-04-08 02:11 AM
    no problem. us mac users are like the ones left behind in terms of rim technology haha oh well, i can live with that...for now
    12-04-08 02:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD