Hey mac users, well I was getting sick of using the wife's laptop to upgrade my OS so I have entered the world of parallels. I have got it all in and installed, desktop manager in etc and it detects my berry and I have even done a back up.

My question is (before I try) have many of you upgraded your OS's using parallels?
    What are your experiences??

Just thought I would ask before I took the plunge! One thing I have noticed is when I plug in the BB desktop manager detects it but does not automatically search for new software as it did on the old windows laptop??

Any help tips appreciated ......... thanks all in advance
    03-07-09 10:56 AM
    Asking for hit and miss problems.

I'd stick with wife's PC laptop if I were you. Probably a lot less inconvenience, all things considered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-09 11:36 AM
    I'm using paraelles. Works fine for me. The only upgrade I did was from 65 to 75. It usually checks for updates when I connect. But there is a check for updates button .
    03-07-09 11:44 AM
    I have used Fusion to run windoze on my MacBook, does same job as Parallels. I have hadsuccess using Fusion, but I usually use BootCamp and boot into windoze, fewer things to go wrong.
    03-07-09 12:42 PM
    Parallels just didn't play nice with my Macbook, no matter what I tried to do (this is pre-BB days).

I'm now VMwareFusion, and couldn't be happier.
    03-07-09 10:02 PM
    I was using VMware Fusion and tried to upgrade but got the classic 507 error... After a few hours of going round in circles it finally managed to get the job done
    03-08-09 03:18 AM
    mmmmmm thanks for all the replies, I tried parallels no good and from what I gather most are using fusion, HOWEVER I just tried fusion it all went better than parallels picked up the device first time etc checked for updates but then I got the fatal error screen??

Any tips anyone? should I try bootcamp?
    03-08-09 05:13 AM
    Sure try bootcamp if you can, always an option. Plus its better if you want to do stuff on the dark side anyway like gaming etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-09 05:16 AM
    Nope tried about 4 or 5 times can't get the OS to update using VMWARE, just getting the fatal error message, maybe time to try bootcamp
    03-08-09 09:28 AM
    I've been using Parallels to upgrade/backup my BlackBerry since I purchased the device back in June 2008. Backups are flawless, but every very OS update I apply to my BB, the bricks and I have to go through the process of unbricking it... which can take upwards of a few hours if your new to the process.

There are still many problems with how Windows connects to the USB hardware through a visualizer like Parallels; stick with your wifes' laptop for now!
    03-08-09 10:20 AM
    Honestly I thought upgrading a blackberry OS on a mac using virtual windows did sound a bit ambitious, I know some are doing it OK but I cant seem to get it going. Thanks all
    03-08-09 01:18 PM
    I tried the VM fusion and I will not use it, why? because they didn't include a bloody serial number to get the software to work!! why would I want to use their software if they can't even make it so you can use the trial. I saw one at best buy yesterday I'll check out.
    03-10-09 11:06 AM
    I use Parallels on my MacBook. No problems here. Honestly the only reason I have Windows installed is to use BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

I could never get VM Fusion to see the usb ports so that was DOA for me.
    03-11-09 07:01 PM
    I've tried Sun's VirtualBox and no luck. Now I'm trying to do this in Boot Camp and what happens is that the upgrade stops where it says upgrading ram image.
    I'm using windows 7 with USB selective suspend turned off.
    03-11-09 07:33 PM
    No problem here with VMWareFusion and XProSP2. NO BOOTCAMP.

Just be sure and disable Missing Sync in Activity Monitor so that the USB ports are available in Windoze.
    03-12-09 11:26 PM
    I have been following this thread to get an idea how people are upgrading, weird how some are OK with either VMWARE Parallels or boot camp and others are not, personally i can not for the life of me get either Parallels OR VMWARE working soooooooo Boot camp is now in, a 10gb partion PURELY and ONLY for my Berry upgrades so no need for more than 10 gb. (still have 6gb left) I have installed win xp pro service pack 2 and DM 4.7. Not sure weather I am going to wait for the next update to my 8900 OS to leak OR downgrade and upgrade the OS just to test but I will post back how it goes..........thanks all for the responses.
    03-13-09 03:11 AM
    Just an update, with not being able to get VMWARE OR Parallels to work I tried bootcamp and I have now done my first update on the mac tonight! (new 8900 OS) Phew........got their in the end!
    03-23-09 04:45 PM
    Just an update, with not being able to get VMWARE OR Parallels to work I tried bootcamp and I have now done my first update on the mac tonight! (new 8900 OS) Phew........got their in the end!
    I also was able to get my 8330 upgraded while in bootcamp and using the windows 7 beta. I have to admit, I like the upgrade so far. I noticed that the GPS maps move a little smoother and faster.
    03-23-09 08:41 PM
    Upgraded multiple Storms via Parallels.
    You need to make sure Parallels grabs the device when you connect it.
    03-25-09 07:33 PM
    I killed Parraels and using VMWare Fusion...
    03-25-09 08:43 PM
    Couldn't be happier with my boot camp partition now, updating OS's and syncing flawlessly now
    03-26-09 05:28 AM
    I've upgraded several times using Fusion. At first I had issues but then realized it was a problem using a usb extension cable on my Storm's sync cable. Then once i learned i had to have Fusion as the front app in order for it to grab the USB when the storm was plugged in/rebooting I haven't had a problem since.
    03-28-09 02:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD