I have a storm and am still running .75. I can use my friends dell but its so slow. Just making sure there is no way for me to upgrade using my mac. And no I cannot use bootcamp or parallels because I do not have a copy of windows.
    04-10-09 01:13 AM
    I used the Search Forums section at the top about 10 minutes ago about this. There was an answer saying that only Microsoft machines can do it. Just search and you'll find the same answer I did.
    04-10-09 01:20 AM
    Yeah, you have to get your hands on a copy of Windows. It's really annoying that Mac users cannot upgrade to a new OS without Windows. But hey, we have access to Macs and PCs on one machine. How great is that?
    04-10-09 03:32 AM
    I have a storm and am still running .75. I can use my friends dell but its so slow. Just making sure there is no way for me to upgrade using my mac. And no I cannot use bootcamp or parallels because I do not have a copy of windows.
    In order to update your BB on a Mac, you need to be running windows on it. Since you don't have a copy of windows to run on your Mac, you'll just have to use your friends Dell or get your own PC or a copy of windows.....sorry for the bad news.
    04-10-09 06:48 PM
    Glad I found this thread. I was trying to figure out the same thing.
    04-25-09 03:39 PM
    Yeah, you have to get your hands on a copy of Windows. It's really annoying that Mac users cannot upgrade to a new OS without Windows. But hey, we have access to Macs and PCs on one machine. How great is that?
    it would be a nice surprise at WES for a mac desktop manager.

otherwise it's leopard + XP bootcamp for me and my bro
    04-25-09 04:00 PM
    I feel your pain. I'm not a fan of Windows, so I run Ubuntu. I have to use my gf's computer every time I want to upgrade :-(
    04-25-09 05:05 PM
    Its unfortunate gang but there is no dm version for mac. I would love to see that, but for now to upgrade you need to run dm and it only runs on windows. A ray of hope is that the storm also has wireless updating but only when your carrier release an update and if its verizon that has not happened yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 05:11 PM
    This has come up about 5 times in this very forum and has been answered comprehensively most times. To read the whole horrid tale, please just search this forum.

It is highly unlikely that RIM will EVER release a full Desktop Manager for the mac. Why? Macs are only about 7% of the market (and falling). About 20% of this is in the vertical graphics and audio studio market and it is your guess how many of the rest have Blackberrys.

OTA upgrades are the way of the future and I cannot see RIM producing every beta OS in Mac format just for your benefit.

The Mac can run Windows and that is what you are going to have to do for the forseeable future if you wish to upgrade your OSs on your hardware. Sorry guys but that's the truth.
    04-25-09 05:21 PM
    It is highly unlikely that RIM will EVER release a full Desktop Manager for the mac. Why? Macs are only about 7% of the market (and falling). About 20% of this is in the vertical graphics and audio studio market and it is your guess how many of the rest have Blackberrys.
    The "Mac market share is falling" was a blip on the radar screen, only lasting one month (February 2009). This ComputerWorld article with data from NetApplications found that Mac OS X resumed its market share gains in March, and the Mac platform now has a 9.8% share, and could break the 10% barrier this month.

Anyway, 7-10% of a huge market (personal computers) is still huge. And if you've ever used BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac, it breaks PocketMac and Missing Sync unless you use the unistall tool... which is a sign that RIM must be working on its own sync solution. Also, PocketMac is forcing people to go through RIM for limited support, as PocketMac has discontinued their own support. Plus, the official RIM BlackBerry forums have changed their wording for OS updates for Mac users from "You must update your OS using a PC" to "A PC is currently required for OS updates".

Don't be surprised if RIM releases a Desktop Manager for Mac at WES 2009. Whether it includes OS updating is yet to be seen, but the sync will probably be worlds better than what we Mac users have today.
    04-26-09 04:03 PM
    I went through the same BS. I have a Mac and had to update on someone else's machine.
    04-26-09 04:08 PM
    The "Mac market share is falling" was a blip on the radar screen, only lasting one month (February 2009). This ComputerWorld article with data from NetApplications found that Mac OS X resumed its market share gains in March, and the Mac platform now has a 9.8% share, and could break the 10% barrier this month.

Anyway, 7-10% of a huge market (personal computers) is still huge. And if you've ever used BlackBerry Media Sync for Mac, it breaks PocketMac and Missing Sync unless you use the unistall tool... which is a sign that RIM must be working on its own sync solution. Also, PocketMac is forcing people to go through RIM for limited support, as PocketMac has discontinued their own support. Plus, the official RIM BlackBerry forums have changed their wording for OS updates for Mac users from "You must update your OS using a PC" to "A PC is currently required for OS updates".

Don't be surprised if RIM releases a Desktop Manager for Mac at WES 2009. Whether it includes OS updating is yet to be seen, but the sync will probably be worlds better than what we Mac users have today.
    Mure, I havent given up hope and I ignore those that say it's not going to happen. NONE of us know what RIM is going to do. Anyone that thinks Macs have so little meaning in the market place need to wake up and realize that this isn't 5-10 yrs ago.

Each and every time I am in the Apple store, I see at a minimum, 4 people making a purchase; whether it be lap/desktop- they're leaving with one.

04-26-09 04:52 PM
    You know, its ok we have the smallest market... b/c it means I won't EVER get a virus! And that's ok with me! B/c my system is much more superior to others =] i can always find a pc to do it on.. they are a dime a dozen =P
    04-28-09 12:21 PM
    Mrs F, it does feel good not worrying about AV or AV software; whereas on windows, its one of the 1st things you MUST install.
    04-28-09 12:40 PM
    Ughhh it's so annoying that I can't update my blackberry on my mac. It's about time that RIM makes blackberry's mac compatible
    04-29-09 01:12 PM
    Ughhh it's so annoying that I can't update my blackberry on my mac. It's about time that RIM makes blackberry's mac compatible
    Its the only reason I still have a PC.
    04-29-09 02:10 PM
    It's so annoying, have to wait til i go home to use my windows to update...
    04-30-09 02:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD