Anyone have experience running the Windows DM software under a virtual machine in VMWare Fusion? As I understand it, the DM software is completely necessary for software updates and whatnot.

Thanks.
    01-31-09 11:17 PM
    Hi, I have a Mac with Leopard, I run VWware Fusion with XP, Vista x64, Ubuntu and Windows 7
    When updating or backing up, I use DM on Vista x64 and it works great!

Ps. I've installed M$ office as well.....
    02-01-09 08:40 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I was checking to make sure it worked properly with RIM apps. I have had trouble running updater type apps from Moto and Samsung via a Fusion Virtual Machine.
    02-01-09 01:33 PM
    Oh...o.k. well good luck!!
    02-01-09 04:14 PM
    Downgraded back to WinXP Pro SP3(From Win 7). No issues with DM running thru VMware.
    02-01-09 05:50 PM
    I have ubuntu studio version, xp, windows 7 all installed via vmware and i have not had any issues syncing with my xp through vmware.
    02-04-09 08:14 AM
    JUST DON'T INSTALL THE BOOTCAMP DRIVERS IN VMWARE!!!
    ....just don't and you'll be fine... install vmware tools... never the drivers!! If you want to use bleutooth, better install a new system, why?!
    Because DM and bootcamp drivers don't like each other...
    02-04-09 12:45 PM
    Running DM under XP in Fusion on MBP.

I have no issues. I also sync with Outlook2007 for Contacts, Cal, Tasks and Notes. Again no issues.

It works as if on a native XP build.
    02-04-09 07:51 PM
    I cannot get my blackberry to connect to my WinXP on VMWare Fusion. Attempting to tell it to connect doesn't do anything.

I'm wondering if this is a conflict with Missing Sync 2.0 that I have installed? Anyone else manage to get DM working under VMWare Fusion that also has Missing Sync installed?
    02-24-09 02:30 PM
    I cannot get my blackberry to connect to my WinXP on VMWare Fusion. Attempting to tell it to connect doesn't do anything.

I'm wondering if this is a conflict with Missing Sync 2.0 that I have installed? Anyone else manage to get DM working under VMWare Fusion that also has Missing Sync installed?
    I have no problem....
    Hit me up on BB messenger...
    02-24-09 09:47 PM

I'm having that same issue. VMWare recognizes the BB, it see I have the option to connect it to the VM, but when I do, nothing really happens, it never gets to a state that I can 'disconnect' it, it always leaves me with the option to connect and my VM like freezes basically until I unplug the BB and it goes back to normal. I too have installed Missing Sync, it works, I'd like to keep it that way, I want the DM for backup purposes and restore purposes.
    03-24-09 12:00 PM
    I have no problem....
    Hit me up on BB messenger...
    In the spirit of sharing and helping others, I'll leave my questions to the open forum, did you do anything special to get this setup? My VMware XP image is working great, I can attach USB storage, but for some reason, when I plug in the BB, it never really connects. Missing Sync is working no problem.
    03-24-09 12:02 PM
    It's interesting, no VM will recognize the BB as a USB device, like Fusion is incapable of connecting it to the VM. But when I do startup Fusion, Missing Sync sees the BB disappear, and the Mount I have to the Memory Card disappears, making it look like Fusion is taking over control, but it's not completely working, it takes it over from OS X, but doesn't fully connect with the VM.
    03-24-09 12:05 PM
    Missing Sync 2.0 is the culprit!!! I uninstalled MS and I was able to connect back to vm.
    03-24-09 07:44 PM
    I'm experiencing something somewhat similar - Installed the latest DM on vista and was able to see the update.
    It automatically prompted me to run the update, which I thought would also backup the data.
    This is my fault for not backing it up first, but long story short, it wiped the phone clean. Then gave me the following error:

trying to boot the phone was giving me a '507' error image.

I had to install the software on a PC running vista and was then able to re-install all the default BB software. sucks that all my data is gone, why is a backup NOT made by default??
    03-30-09 05:36 PM
    I'm an *****.... the connection kept breaking because I was doing other stuff on the mac and therefore the USB was trying to re-connect to the mac and not the VMware :[
    03-31-09 02:47 PM
    Question:

For those of you who has used both DM in a virtual OS and people who have use Mark/Space

Which one do you prefer?
    03-31-09 06:00 PM
    For those of you with Missing Sync and VMware try disabling anything to do with MS in Activity Monitor.
    MS takes over the usb ports and needs to be deactivated from running in the background so that VMware can connect.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 11:54 AM
    For those of you with Missing Sync and VMware try disabling anything to do with MS in Activity Monitor.
    MS takes over the usb ports and needs to be deactivated from running in the background so that VMware can connect.

BLESS YOU!
    I wish I'd found this 3 hours ago.
    I have a corrupted address book or something and yeah... been struggling.

JL
    04-23-09 12:11 AM
    Missing Sync 2.0 is the culprit!!! I uninstalled MS and I was able to connect back to vm.
    Yes! You must uninstall MS on Mac before using the DM, otherwise it won't recognize the bb.

I am running XP Home with Fusion - flawless, but I still sync with MS as I'm hooked on iCal.

Good Luck.
    04-23-09 08:07 AM
    Yes! You must uninstall MS on Mac before using the DM, otherwise it won't recognize the bb.

I am running XP Home with Fusion - flawless, but I still sync with MS as I'm hooked on iCal.

Good Luck.
    You don't need to uninstall MS, just disable it via Activity Monitor, in order to use VMwareFusion.

For Syncing, just start Missing sync again and sync away.
    04-23-09 10:43 PM
    You don't need to uninstall MS, just disable it via Activity Monitor, in order to use VMwareFusion.

For Syncing, just start Missing sync again and sync away.
    Thanks, but I am not sure how to disable in activity monitor. Can you help please?

I also sent a PM.
    04-24-09 12:34 PM
    Open Activity Monitor and be sure that all processes" is selected in the dropdown. Then type "miss" into the filter. You should then see 3 processes. Select each one in turn and click Quit/Force Quit.

You should now be able to connect via USB in Windows.

To reenable MS simply run it from your Applications folder.

04-24-09 02:53 PM
    I got my 8900 via T-mobile yesterday, and I am having ZERO luck with getting the damn thing to connect to Desktop Manager via WindowsXP SP2 on vmware FUsion 2.0.5. The usb connect shows up at the bottom bar, but the device won't show up in desktop manager. My older 8320 will however still connect. ANY help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    08-29-09 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD