Since I'm reletivley new to the Mac world, I was wondering if anybody is running any kind of antivirus software. I know that it's almost unheard of on a Mac as apposed to Windows, but with more and more people switching, I'm sure the hackers out there will start targeting Mac users to.
    So any suggestions?
    I was thinking of this...
    avast! antivirus Mac Edition
    02-28-08 06:50 AM
    Avast is good. I have never used AV on my Mac. In my opinion you don't really need it.
    02-28-08 02:45 PM
    Thanks! That's what I thought, but since you can run Windows via Boot Camp and Parallels, I just like to be safe.
    02-28-08 02:49 PM
    Thanks! That's what I thought, but since you can run Windows via Boot Camp and Parallels, I just like to be safe.
    From what Im told, you can still get viruses on your mac when running windows... I would take at least some of the precautions i.e. antivirus, not using IE, etc when running windows.

unfortunately, I dont have an intel Mac, and dont have that problem.
    03-04-08 06:17 PM
    I have DP--Virus Barrier X5 for the Mac and Bit Defender for the Windows side. It's all one package. Virus Barrier was top rated by MacWorld. I opted for the DP option since I am also running Parallels.
    03-04-08 06:27 PM
    DP = Dual Protection
    03-04-08 06:28 PM
    In the history of MACs (I've been using them since the 1980's), you don't want to add a virus protector to your OS. They are usually more harm than good and have been known to corrupt OS's. If you absolutely HAVE to use one, DON'T use Norton!!!!!!
    03-04-08 06:38 PM
    Thanks! I'll be looking into that to.
    03-04-08 06:39 PM
    In the history of MACs (I've been using them since the 1980's), you don't want to add a virus protector to your OS. They are usually more harm than good and have been known to corrupt OS's. If you absolutely HAVE to use one, DON'T use Norton!!!!!!
    V... I hear you! Or McAfee! To much fluff for what you get. I've always used Spy Sweeper with Antivirus by Webroot and Antivirus by Trend Micro on my PC. Simple, and they work great! No Mac versions yet.
    03-04-08 06:43 PM
    Pete...of all the years I've ever used a Mac...here's what I've learned:

I have a firewall on my OS.
    I have encryption on my OS.
    I have a firewall on my Wireless Modem.
    I have a firewall on my DSL modem.
    My Mac can't open .exe files.

If someone is able to penetrate my Mac (which is harder to penetrate anyway), more power to them! It would be quite the feat!! LOL
    03-05-08 12:08 AM
    Pete...of all the years I've ever used a Mac...here's what I've learned:

I have a firewall on my OS.
    I have encryption on my OS.
    I have a firewall on my Wireless Modem.
    I have a firewall on my DSL modem.
    My Mac can't open .exe files.

If someone is able to penetrate my Mac (which is harder to penetrate anyway), more power to them! It would be quite the feat!! LOL
    V... Thanks!
    Since this whole Mac concept is new to me, I'm still learning.
    I can set up a firewall on my OS? Ok need to look into that.
    I can set up encryption on my OS? Ok will look into this also.
    Got It.
    Got it.
    .exe? Didn't know it couldn't but haven't tried.
    Sorry I been using Windows ever since I helped Noah design the arc. Bad habits are hard to break.
    03-05-08 05:20 AM
    V... Thanks! You're welcome!!
    Since this whole Mac concept is new to me, I'm still learning. No prob...it was a learning curve for me to learn Windows for a job a while back!
    I can set up a firewall on my OS? Yes, in your Security System Preference Panel.
    I can set up encryption on my OS? Yes, in your Security System Preference Panel.
    .exe? Didn't know it couldn't but haven't tried. Not on the Mac OS proper. Through Windows-installed software on your Mac you can, but not on the Mac OS itself.
    Sorry I been using Windows ever since I helped Noah design the arc. Bad habits are hard to break. No Prob!!! Glad to help! You've helped me out more than once!!
    03-05-08 09:40 AM
    i cant wait to the days hackers target MACS so we can all see macs arent virus fee heaven like apple puts in your head!
    03-05-08 09:56 AM
    Don't be hate'n!
    03-05-08 10:00 AM
    No one says Mac is "virus free," however, the time it takes to make a virus for a Mac OS (according to 2 different techs I've spoken to) requires at least 5-10x more effort than for Windows. For that reason, someone would need a darn good reason to cause that much chaos on a Mac OS.
    03-05-08 11:57 AM
    macs are the best. until my laptop got stolen time for a new one i guess lol.
    03-05-08 12:02 PM
    DeadAim...how awful! But it's a GREAT excuse to get a new one!
    03-05-08 12:08 PM
    I personally don't use an anti virus for my mac. I also don't use one for the XP virtual machine I run through VM Ware. I don't surf the web with Internet explorer, and if I did pick up something in XP, I would simply dump the XP file and revert to my snapshot. As for the Mac side, nothing can install until the administrator password is entered, so if there was some executable out there(haven't heard of any), it couldn't install without your consent. As Macs get more of a market share, I'm sure that the time will come that someone will write malicious code targeting OS X. It just hasn't yet.
    03-16-08 07:23 AM
    i dont use virus software for my mac book pro, i figure its safe, hope it stays that way too lol
    03-23-08 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD