Can anyone provide some help?
    I am a bit lost on the whole Blackberry issue especially if it will work with a Mac!

Background:
    - I am moving to the US in Sept (from UK).
    - I am trying to set up my home business office needs over there in advance of the move.
    - I use a Mac at my home office.
    - Currently use mac mail (but thinking of getting Outlook).
    - As you will guess from my questions below I am not very Tech savvy!
    - Looking into what devices I can use when travelling

Questions regarding Blackberry and Mac:
    1. I will need to be able to access my business e-mails, review them and send them from a device. Also when I get back to my home office I would want my e-mail system to show that the e-mails have been reviewed and sent (so I don't have to do the job twice!). Does the Blackberry provide all this functionality?
    2. Noticed something about BIS. Is this what provides the above functionality? Seems that BES is for big companies and would cost a lot?
    3. I also will need to be available by phone. Does the Blackberry provide this?
    3. What ever device I have needs to work in the US and UK (as I will be working in both countries). Does the Blackberry work in both countries?
    4. When travelling I would also want to forward my home business number to the Blackberry so anyone calling me at the home office would be forwarded to me on the road. Does the Blackberry provide this functionality?
    5. Will I need to get Outlook for my e-mail rather than the mac mail I use now? Does Outlook work better with the Blackberry?
    6. From surfing around it appears there are problems with Blackberry and Mac interface. What are the main issues and can they be solved?
    7. Is the a particular Blackberry model that best meets my needs?

I would really appreciate any help as I need to get all this resolved in a few weeks and buy a device in advance.

Thanks

Gary
    07-06-08 12:40 PM
    I can answer a few of your questions but not all of them. As far as email goes, you can easily set up multiple email accounts on the blackberry that will sync seamlessly with the default mac mail client. If you delete something on your blackberry it gives you the option to delete it from your mailbox as well, so it will delete in your client. And if you read something on your blackberry, it will show up as read on your mac mail client. You are not required to use the more expensive business internet packages to do this. I believe what you are thinking of is a business enterprise server, which you will not need access to for that sort of email usage. I also believe the blackberries support call forwarding but I am not positive. I am only speaking from my own experience with the 8330, but I believe that stuff is pretty much the same on all the devices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 12:57 AM
    The 88xx editions are BBs world edition phones sound like what you need!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 01:07 AM
    Can anyone provide some help?
    I am a bit lost on the whole Blackberry issue especially if it will work with a Mac!

Questions regarding Blackberry and Mac:
    1. I will need to be able to access my business e-mails, review them and send them from a device. Also when I get back to my home office I would want my e-mail system to show that the e-mails have been reviewed and sent (so I don't have to do the job twice!). Does the Blackberry provide all this functionality?

The BlackBerry DOES provide this functionality if your email client allows. IMAP email is great

2. Noticed something about BIS. Is this what provides the above functionality? Seems that BES is for big companies and would cost a lot?

You would want BIS. BES is used in big corporations with an exchange server and BES server, etc. You do not have these... and they would be unneccessary. BIS would be the way to go for you...

3. I also will need to be available by phone. Does the Blackberry provide this?

Yes...

3. What ever device I have needs to work in the US and UK (as I will be working in both countries). Does the Blackberry work in both countries?

Yes, this would depend a lot on your carrier as well. You would want to consider which location you will be in more. Most carriers have international calling charges, etc. If you are going to be primarily in the US, then sign your contract with a US carrier. If you will be in the UK, then sign your contract in the UK! International calling can be expensive with any carrier on any phone, those kinds of things are not device-specific, but depend on the carrier! You would probably want an 88xx World Edition phone.

4. When travelling I would also want to forward my home business number to the Blackberry so anyone calling me at the home office would be forwarded to me on the road. Does the Blackberry provide this functionality?

This would depend on your office phone's functionality, not on your BlackBerry... But your Berry can receive forwarded calls and can also forward calls...

5. Will I need to get Outlook for my e-mail rather than the mac mail I use now? Does Outlook work better with the Blackberry?

Outlook is not available on Mac. I have been a Mac User my whole life, but I am going to be hoest in saying that sycing your Berry with a PC is far easier. Syncing with a Mac can be a hassle and quite frustrating...

6. From surfing around it appears there are problems with Blackberry and Mac interface. What are the main issues and can they be solved?

You can solve all of these problems in one way or another. PocketMac and Missing Sync are both third party apps to help sync your Mac and Berry... I personally do not like them and opt to use Windows on my Mac to do this syncing. Far less hassle...

7. Is the a particular Blackberry model that best meets my needs?

88xx Series World Phone...

I would really appreciate any help as I need to get all this resolved in a few weeks and buy a device in advance.

Thanks

Gary
    I hope alll of that can help and Welcome to CB!!
    07-07-08 09:26 AM
    Thanks for that info really helpful and understand a bit more now.

Could you explain how you sync the BB? Someone mentioned sync via USB???

Also is the IMAP e-mail common? Will most providers do it? Any you recommend?

Thanks
    Last edited by Stoddard; 07-07-08 at 05:30 PM.
    07-07-08 05:26 PM
    My Blackberry (and I'm guessing most Blackberries) came with a USB cable to sync files and such. Email, however, will sync automatically using your Blackberry's internet.

Both my work and my school email use IMAP protocol. I believe gmail uses IMAP as well, if you're looking for somewhere to create a free email account.
    07-08-08 12:58 PM
    Just get the BB's and figure out the rest later.
    07-09-08 01:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD