I am going out of town next week and would like to know if anyone has figured out a way to tether there 8830 via usb or bluetooth with a macbook pro. i have it downloaded on windows and it works fine over usb but i would prefer to tether on my mac side. let me know if there is any software or modification to make it work.
    07-01-07 10:00 AM
    Tagging along.

I'd like to do the same with my 8800 on at&t.

Cheers,

Jim
    07-01-07 12:54 PM
    I own a slightly older Mac 1GHz PowerPC based G4 Aluminum PowerBook 15"-screened laptop.

I use PocketMac to sync my 8830 and 8700 series handhelds to the lappie, but I am also in need of a USB-tethered (read: hardwired!) solution to connect and use my 8830/Verizon handheld as a tethered modem, for which I pay the extra $15 a month for the privelege.

VZ Access Manager works beautifully on my Windows laptop, but I would like to see the ability of my Mac to really shine. It may be older, but it still runs circles around even my Compaq Presario XP-M - equipped IBM/Windows laptop, in so many ways. Isn't this why we bought macs in the first place?

I'm going to see if I qualify for an Apple Credit Plan, as I want to get a new PowerBook Pro, grab Parallels Desktop for Mac, and if that's what I have to do to connect via USB-cable, so be it for the time being!

We really need more people who are code-savvy and macintosh-preferred. I'm working to become just this, but it's going to take some time and some classes, or a close friend who is a programmer to teach me. J2ME (now Java Wireless Toolkit) savvy, too. We need more free java apps that actually have the code for the BlackBerry Key Presses functional. I'm tired of having to bring up a Menu first, then select OK, when a single Return Key press would be just fine.

Please let me know if find a USB-tethering solution for native OS-X. I'll buy it right up!

Thanks,
    Firefishe
    07-02-07 04:29 AM
    I have Verizon Wireless call the BlackBerry technical support at RIM and ask the same question. RIM stated that they have no intention of supporting 8830 tethering on a Mac platform. I ended up buying a USB broadband modem for my Mac.
    07-04-07 02:21 PM
    Hi All, I just managed to get the 8830 working with my MacBook. This is the TELUS firmware version, but should work similarly for VZ.

Basically Pair the phone and set it up as a modem as follows:
    - Enter in the dial up number, for TELUS this happens to be #777 (not sure if you actually need that number or not, as the BB might have the dial in info already).
    - No username and password.
    - Select the following modem driver: au cdmaOne Bluetooth Adapter (not sure where that came from, but it's likely comes with the OS
    - go ahead and connect!!

You will know it's working since on the BB it will say something like "Modem Mode Enabled" along the top of the display right under the battery indicator.

I only surfed for a little while, but it was plenty fast, and seemed to work great!

Good luck and hope this helps!

8830 as bluetooth modem macbook
    07-06-07 12:21 AM
    Did anybody get this to work?
    01-18-08 04:20 PM
    Did anybody get this to work?
    Did not work for me on the VZ network. Any other ideas?
    01-24-08 07:54 PM
    I have my 8830 teathered to my MacBook via bluetooth. Here is the link with the instructions I followed.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/mac-...ry-8830-a.html
    01-24-08 09:42 PM
    just an fyi for the Vz users... you NEED to pay for the tethered service... then follow the instructions above... i've tried everything for free, once i called, and had them add the service.. whollah, it works!
    01-29-08 04:15 PM
    Yea, Verizon loves to squeeze every cent out of you that they possibly can.
    01-29-08 09:39 PM
    Hi All, I just managed to get the 8830 working with my MacBook. This is the TELUS firmware version, but should work similarly for VZ.

Basically Pair the phone and set it up as a modem as follows:
    - Enter in the dial up number, for TELUS this happens to be #777 (not sure if you actually need that number or not, as the BB might have the dial in info already).
    - No username and password.
    - Select the following modem driver: au cdmaOne Bluetooth Adapter (not sure where that came from, but it's likely comes with the OS
    - go ahead and connect!!

You will know it's working since on the BB it will say something like "Modem Mode Enabled" along the top of the display right under the battery indicator.

I only surfed for a little while, but it was plenty fast, and seemed to work great!

Good luck and hope this helps!

8830 as bluetooth modem macbook
    This worked like a charm with my MacBook and Telus 8330 Curve... like a CHARM... great speeds! WOOOT!!!!!
    07-21-08 06:03 PM
    I'll confirm this works for Sprint as well. Hooray! Thanks for the tips.

For mine, Sprint is listed as a vendor, and PCS Vision is listed as a model. Then, entered #777 for the number, clicked connect, and away we went! Posting this from my MacBook Air through my BB. Very happy. Thanks again.
    07-31-08 09:55 PM
    I was able to use the Verizon Tethering with out any additional Software. I simply created a Bluetooth connection to my MacBook Pro to the Blackberry device, and created a Bluetooth modem connection. This is using the generic CDMA modem drivers. The # to dial is #777. User name is (your cell #)@vzw3g.com Password: "vzw" without quotes. Also you will need to manually manage your connection in the Advanced menu. In the DNS information you will need to add an additional DNS IP address. You should see an IP already listed, and greyed out. This is VZW forcing down DNS to make you resolve to their subscription page. If you do not want to subscribe you will need to enter a DNS address. Since I have an OpenDNS account (free account @ opendns.com) I used their DNS addresses. This allows me to connect to anything.
    The ONLY catch I found is that Verizon still monitors this type of connect. I found that on my Data usage on my account, I was charged $0.25/MB. Since tethering does not qualify under VZW's Unlimited Blackberry Data plan, its a small price to pay, if you need immediate email downloads or look you ur banking info and dont plan to use it a lot.

I think that VZW is BS and tethering should be included in the unlimited data plan. But the telco has to make their money and bend the customers to get every penny.
    08-05-08 08:44 AM
    I use the VZW access manager as well, no issues there. Also try downloading the modem script from fribble.org. Grant G did an awesome job on getting the new 8800 script for bluetooth tethering. PIN me and ill give you or anyone help with setting this up.

pin:319f3c9a

-Justin

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 09:35 AM
    well the purpose to my post is to show you how to connect WITHOUT using the VZW Access Manager. IMO I hate installing unwanted/unneeded software to my computer.
    08-05-08 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD