Does anyone have info on how to go about this process? Now that we have DM for Mac are we able to download leaked OS's? How do I go about doing this, since I am unfamiliar with DM since we just got it!

TIA
    10-05-09 06:19 PM
    The problem is the OS is put into a .exe windows executable file. Since mac cannot open them without using dual boot it seems like loading a leaked OS will have to wait until the OS files are put in a universal installer for both platforms.

I think it was released for mac more for the media transfer/backup capabilities.
    10-05-09 06:21 PM
    Don't think you can do it -- it checks with Rim mother ship on which versions of OS are available for the device and those seem to be the only ones it will do anything with... For now, I think you need to use Windows in a VM to do so.

I may try an downgrade at some point and see if there is a cache dir which you can put it in.
    10-05-09 06:22 PM
    Does anyone have info on how to go about this process? Now that we have DM for Mac are we able to download leaked OS's? How do I go about doing this, since I am unfamiliar with DM since we just got it!

TIA
    Seriously doubt you'll be able to DL and Install OS updates on the MAC. OS install files are Windows based .exe files. DM doesn't do the file download or OS installation on the computer. Most folks download the OS update, install to their computers and then onto the Storm, all without using DM at all.
    10-05-09 06:23 PM
    hmm...so theres no way to get 5.0 on my storm ????? =(
    10-05-09 11:33 PM
    not with MAc DM.....Use bootcamp to run XP and it works fine.

There is no where in the world where you could borrow a WIndows machine for 30 minutes?

I load OS at work....anyone with a laptop.....

Mac DM will let you load official OS....I tried to load .148 with it and it failed (from .230)....left my phone with a reload software error message (the same you get when you wipe) and would not connect to Mac DM at all. I had to go to bootcamp WIndows to reload the OS.
    10-06-09 01:35 AM
    Ive never used bootcamp before, if you could briefly describe where I could download it and what I do once I get it that would be a big help
    10-06-09 10:41 AM
    does anyone know anything about bootcamp ?
    10-06-09 11:54 AM
    Ive never used bootcamp before, if you could briefly describe where I could download it and what I do once I get it that would be a big help
    Bootcamp comes with your mac, you don't download anything. It partitions a portion of your hard drive and allows you to run a windows based platform. You would still need a licensed copy of Windows, and good luck getting a copy of XP let alone Vista.

You can purchase VMware which will allow you to run Mac and Windows at the same time and use that for upgrades/downgrades. Just don't use Parallels, it doesn't play nice with DM.
    10-06-09 11:55 AM
    I can obtain an XP disc we have many, but once I set up bootcamp, how exactly do I install the OS and where exactly do I get it from. Im new at installing new OS's
    10-06-09 01:52 PM
    Have you tried doing this using Crossover for mac? I am experimenting with this right now. I will update you all once I know the outcome. Going to dl and install desktop manager for the PC, mount in Crossover, and do the install. Crossover is free to try.
    10-09-09 09:04 AM
    well, it failed, and my BB is bricked. App error, brought it to telus last night, they reloaded the newest OS, and then it bricked again. Going to my Mother in Law's today to use her PC and get this thing back up and running. If not, back to Telus I go. I think ill wait for the OS to be released now. lol. I feel helpless without my phone!
    10-10-09 08:27 AM
    well, it failed, and my BB is bricked. App error, brought it to telus last night, they reloaded the newest OS, and then it bricked again. Going to my Mother in Law's today to use her PC and get this thing back up and running. If not, back to Telus I go. I think ill wait for the OS to be released now. lol. I feel helpless without my phone!
    Yeah, I kind of thought you were sticking your neck out there with that.

Good luck getting your phone back up. Hope everything works out ok.
    10-10-09 09:33 AM
    I had the same question yesterday as i am running a macbook pro and i was unable to get .230 to load through DM on it it sucks but i will just wait for an official i presume
    10-10-09 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD