I was wondering about 5.0 os upgrade. What kind of thing can you do with it updated to 5.0 os? Does it take alot of the app memory to do the upgrade? Does it run faster?
    12-07-09 11:36 AM
    The biggest difference that I like about that 5.0 os is having threaded sms. Other than that, there really isn't too much of a difference. It does take up more memory, but it does run faster.
    12-07-09 12:33 PM
    I've been waiting for the official Sprint release as I'm afraid of bugginess. Is the latest leaked version worth taking the plunge?
    12-07-09 02:42 PM
    I installed the leak on mine, and I am totally over it. I would boot with bout 27mb with all 86 of my contacts, and it sucked.

Total memory hog.

running .138 now, and hating it.
    12-07-09 03:06 PM
    I Installed weeeeeeedbirdman's (sp?) hybrid and I'm digging it. I'm actually considering holding off on an upgrade because 5.0 is really good. I love bedside mode, the menu's are now dropdown, the clock mode is pretty cool too. Obviously the threaded SMS is clutch. Im still inside the first 24 hours with the upgrade but so far i'd definitely reccommend it. No bugs that I could find yet, and file free is 25mb as we speak
    12-07-09 03:34 PM
    When are we gonna get a official release though? I seriously check every few hours and got all sorts of excited when I saw two updates last week for other devices

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-09 04:42 PM
    I myself have a Tour running irtehun's Tour Hybrid v7.12, which uses the .230 base and adds updated files over it.

Boot time for me (by my definition, from inserting battery until trackball movement is first recognized) is 2min30sec flat. Insanely fast compared to when it was stock, when it would take about 6min or so.

Combined with Shrink-An-OS, I boot with about 130MB free memory.

Threaded SMS is awesome. Helps to keep the clutter in my Messages box to a minimum.

Just some of the benefits of running 5.0 hybrid build.
    12-07-09 04:58 PM
    I've been waiting for the official Sprint release as I'm afraid of bugginess. Is the latest leaked version worth taking the plunge?
    The leaked version and the official release of the same OS will be the same thing, with the same"bugginess". The only difference is that the carrier has done whatever modifications they need to feel comfortable releasing it. This includes removing any features that they can charge you for, tweaking in for their network specificities, ensuring that they are ready to handle support for any issues, etc.

It's the same OS, because the carriers can't get in there and change the core stuff. Some carriers are concerned with certain issues, some with others. So an OS that has a particular bug may concern carrier X, but not carrier Y. Also, rolling out a new OS has financial rammifications. The carrier has to pay a team to get the OS ready, release it, and staff the phones and websites for their customers who take advantage of the upgrade. So why would they want to release a new OS every time there's one available? They don't cause it costs money.

Also, theres some talk that if they release new OSs frequently, then there products could adopt the image of "unstable". Put yourself in the shoes of a top executive at one of the major carriers. If you were constantly releasing OS updates, it could send the message that your products need constant updates, as in they aren't reliable. They wouldn't want that, so the carriers try to one up the competition, or in this case, one down. They kinda want to wait until the see there carrier releasing an update. Confusing isn't it.

I know my carrier like to add monthly recurring charges for every little thing. There are several features that consistiently remove (or have RIM remove) from OS updates before releasing it, so that they can get you to pay $4.99 or $9.99 / month. Shameless they are, but it is a business, is it not.

And there are dozens more factors that I'm not positive about, so i won't mention them here. The official release doesn't guarentee that it will be bug free, just really depends on what version the carrier decides to use for their release. In reality, the OS that the carrier uses for an official release is going to be 6-12 months OLDER than what you can find in these forums. Sure they've had time to polish any perceived rough edges, but the "bugginess" will most likely have already been addressed by RIM, and corrected in one of the leaks.
    12-08-09 07:04 AM
    5.0 is MUCH more than just threaded sms. Most of the menu screens are completely redone, much more polished and more user friendly. A few examples are changing profile for both holstered and upholstered at the same time, RIM supported vibrate WHILE ringing and Applications in the regular Options menu rather than advanced. Plus the new trusted application feature is great. Much more new things. Overall this OS is a fantastic upgrade and not simply just threaded sms.
    12-08-09 11:12 AM
    When will it be released for the Tour on Verizon!?! I'm sick of waiting!
    12-16-09 11:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD