Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
09-30-09 11:22 AM
44 12
tools
    Hey all,

I am really nervous about doing it, but should I go for it and get 5.0 for my 8330? Is it good?

Thanks!
    09-29-09 02:50 PM
    do you want the few upgrades that you will get, go for it. I am still waiting for someone to say how much memory it uses...
    09-29-09 02:54 PM
    Be prepared for some of your current apps to stop working. Most will work however. If you brick your phone you can easily bring it back.
    09-29-09 02:54 PM
    Thanks guys. I don't think I am gonna do it - I like my official OS's lol
    09-29-09 02:55 PM
    do you want the few upgrades that you will get, go for it. I am still waiting for someone to say how much memory it uses...
    It uses a lot of memory. I ran about 47MB free on the 4.5/4.6/5.0 hybrid, but on 5.0 I'm running at 27MB. I didn't get super aggressive on shrinking the 5.0 OS though. I basically removed only the foreign language support.

So far the OS is slow, lags even when going from homescreen to icon screen, browser is slow as well.

The 4.5./4.6/5.0 hybrid was lightning compared to this. lol
    09-29-09 03:02 PM
    Thanks! I am def staying with my 4.5.0.138! LOL
    09-29-09 03:03 PM
    It uses a lot of memory. I ran about 47MB free on the 4.5/4.6/5.0 hybrid, but on 5.0 I'm running at 27MB. I didn't get super aggressive on shrinking the 5.0 OS though. I basically removed only the foreign language support.

So far the OS is slow, lags even when going from homescreen to icon screen, browser is slow as well.

You are the os guy here on the forums. I will wait to see hybrids or a new device someday.
    09-29-09 03:06 PM

i too am seeing far too much lag in 5.0 and BBM won't install period, i'm not too happy with it for those reasons, although i do like the appearance of little things like how message displays have changed--i jumped from official 4.5.0.238 straight to 5.0, so there is quite a bit of difference...

i digress, what i really would like to know is, where can i find one of these "lightning" quick hybrids??? thanks in advance...
    09-29-09 03:24 PM
    I tried installing it, it actually broke my blackberry beyond repair.
    it left it without any OS, but there was no way to connect it to my computer, the computer didn't recognize it at all. Also, the blackberry wouldn't turn on at all.

Of course, to be fair, during the process i managed somehow to drop my laptop and the USB connection was interrupted and then i pressed cancel a million times, so... probably my fault.
    09-29-09 03:29 PM
    samkimsam; what kind of error do you get when you start your phone?
    09-29-09 03:33 PM
    I tried installing it, it actually broke my blackberry beyond repair.
    it left it without any OS, but there was no way to connect it to my computer, the computer didn't recognize it at all. Also, the blackberry wouldn't turn on at all.

Of course, to be fair, during the process i managed somehow to drop my laptop and the USB connection was interrupted and then i pressed cancel a million times, so... probably my fault.
    You can revive it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    09-29-09 03:38 PM
    I installed 5.0 yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say for it. While its true, the file free memory did drop significantly (mine dropped to about 33 megs free), I hadn't noticed any lag at all, only a performance boost! File free memory isn't a sure indicator of phone performance speed or what can be managed, its just free memory.

IMO, the benefits of 5.0 far outweight any performance cons that some are having (while im not having any). My browser is noticeably quicker, the gui is slightly more appealing without any themes, sms is now threaded, facebook works quicker, I can still use most of my apps (try downloading versions for 4.7, they usually work fine on 5.0). The camera has lost all lag...I mean the list goes on!

Also, I had no trouble whatsoever with the upgrade. There are people left and right talking about bricking their devices, etc....just uninstall your current version, install 5.0, delete vendor file, and use the apploader instead of DM...within 30 minutes you'll be running a slick new operating system. If you can't tell already, I'm still very excited about the functionality and capabilities of 5.0 on my curve. I think its way worth it, beta or not....

also, of course there is some system lag after installing 5.0, but that's what happens after any OS upgrade. After at least two battery pulls, it runs fine
    Last edited by griffin.ge; 09-29-09 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Do battery pulls!
    09-29-09 04:09 PM
    I installed 5.0 yesterday, and I have nothing but good things to say for it. While its true, the file free memory did drop significantly (mine dropped to about 33 megs free), I hadn't noticed any lag at all, only a performance boost! File free memory isn't a sure indicator of phone performance speed or what can be managed, its just free memory.

IMO, the benefits of 5.0 far outweight any performance cons that some are having (while im not having any). My browser is noticeably quicker, the gui is slightly more appealing without any themes, sms is now threaded, facebook works quicker, I can still use most of my apps (try downloading versions for 4.7, they usually work fine on 5.0). The camera has lost all lag...I mean the list goes on!

Also, I had no trouble whatsoever with the upgrade. There are people left and right talking about bricking their devices, etc....just uninstall your current version, install 5.0, delete vendor file, and use the apploader instead of DM...within 30 minutes you'll be running a slick new operating system. If you can't tell already, I'm still very excited about the functionality and capabilities of 5.0 on my curve. I think its way worth it, beta or not....

also, of course there is some system lag after installing 5.0, but that's what happens after any OS upgrade. After at least two battery pulls, it runs fine
    What OS did you have before upgrading to 5.0?
    09-29-09 04:44 PM

After reading this post from xliderider I'm starting to really think 5.0 would NEVER come out for the GSM Curves...
    09-29-09 04:47 PM
    i too am seeing far too much lag in 5.0 and BBM won't install period, i'm not too happy with it for those reasons, although i do like the appearance of little things like how message displays have changed--i jumped from official 4.5.0.238 straight to 5.0, so there is quite a bit of difference...

i digress, what i really would like to know is, where can i find one of these "lightning" quick hybrids??? thanks in advance...
    Use JustinAdam's hybrid files on page 23, post 343. Install 4.5.0.169 and copy the hybrid files into the .169 Java folder.
    09-29-09 04:49 PM
    After reading this post from xliderider I'm starting to really think 5.0 would NEVER come out for the GSM Curves...
    Yep, 5.0 would bring any device with only 64MB of RAM to its knees and then some.
    09-29-09 04:51 PM
    I jumped from i believe it was .169. It did take about 15mb more space. Worth it through the settings are easier to go through in the options. The GUI changes look good and the threaded SMS is great. I didn't notice any lag. I did have to reinstall yahoo and msn messenger and re-enter log info for my google apps. One thing that bugs me and i think its the theme rather then the OS is that I have a dock with a weather icon in the top right. When scrolling the dock before it gets to the last 2 icons it jumps to the weather icon and then down to the last 2. Also it could scroll the dock both with left, right and up/down. Now only up/down scrolls. Minor things that i just have to get used to. Great OS though
    09-29-09 05:14 PM
    i did it, i only have 19mbs of file free left though!!!!!!
    09-29-09 06:18 PM
    definitely go for an upgrade...the threaded sms and new browser are both worth whatever initial lag you have to deal with
    09-29-09 06:21 PM
    I upgraded, here are my opinions:

Pros:
    -Threaded SMS is great
    -Newer BBM (I hadn't upgraded yet, so this might not apply to everyone if you already have)
    -Better profile functionality
    -No camera lag
    -Quicker start-up (and a nice loading bar)

Cons:
    -A bit extra lag right after startup, although if I let my bb be for a minute it is just fine
    -Uses more memory, but I only noticed about a 10mb, still in the mid-high 20s
    -Compatibility issues with certain programs/themes, although that is to be expected.
    09-29-09 06:25 PM
    Phone lags. Data sticks for most part Went back to 4.5 works great little you get from 5.0 not worth the trouble. Will say the bars were greater under 5.0.
    09-29-09 06:26 PM
    I installed this. I did a wipe before installing though. I was on the .168 hybrid or whatever before.

I have nothing bad to say about the beta OS. Just having threaded SMS makes a world of difference for me and I won't ever be downgrading. It's was laggy for about 20 minutes but now is back to normal speed.

Very worth it to me.
    09-29-09 06:29 PM
    i installed this last night... as to bbm not working... BBM 5 wont work, try the 4.7 that is included in it. works fine for me. i have had NO lag what so ever other then start up. actually, its even faster then the .131 i had running before... NO lag at all. the threaded sms is weird. ive never had it before so it will take some getting used to to see 2 new txt, but only one envelope. lol the camera is super fast, thats a plus.

the only real minus i have is that the themes are giving me trouble. unless i absolutely have to, i am not going back.
    Last edited by chelseytx; 09-29-09 at 07:01 PM.
    09-29-09 06:43 PM
    i installed this last night... as to bbm not working... BBM 5 wont work, try the 4.7 that is included in it. works fine for me. i have had NO lag what so ever other then start up. actually, its even faster then the .131 i had running before... NO lag at all. the threaded sms is weird. ive never had it before so it will take some getting used to to see 2 new txt, but only one envelope. lol the camera is super fast, thats a plus.

the only real minus i have is that the themes are giving me trouble. unless i absolutely have to, i am not going back.
    Ditto. The camera is fantastic now...no lag whatever. I am also having a problem with my theme, to scroll left in right on the homepage I have to go up/down (works fine in the applications page). I can live with that for now, definitely not downgrading.
    09-29-09 08:16 PM
    Ditto. The camera is fantastic now...no lag whatever. I am also having a problem with my theme, to scroll left in right on the homepage I have to go up/down (works fine in the applications page). I can live with that for now, definitely not downgrading.
    i think the theme problem is because the 4.5 doesnt have navigation as the 4.6 and up does.
    09-29-09 08:18 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD