09-01-08 09:51 AM
98 123 ...
tools
    (I imagine that this would apply to any other beta release)

So, Im pretty new to this whole Blackberry thing, and its safe to say that its proving to be challenging, in a good way though.

That aside, whats the best method for upgrading my bb, should I fully wipe the os and upgrade (if so how do i do that, is that with the JDSK?)

Or just do it with the previous installation on?
    07-10-08 09:43 AM
    If you are not familiar with Blackberry, I would suggest you get to know your phone a little better before upgrading, and upgrading to a beta nonetheless. It can help if you wipe the device then install the OS, however, this is a beta, and there WILL be problems.
    07-10-08 09:54 AM
    Oh no, in the past few days Ive come to know this phone very very well lol. Upgrading has not been a problem, I think my .52 was corrupted though.

The above is the reason why I even bothered posting. I had a whole long post on bricking your berry, but lots of other people beat me to it
    07-10-08 10:17 AM
    This has been detailed a number of times, but here goes :

1) Backup you device with desktop manager
    2) Backup your third party applications (http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/upd...rograms-46800/)
    3) Download the desired device OS (from whatever your source may be)
    4) Install the OS to your PC
    5) Remove all old OSes! Delete the vendor.xml file
    6) Wipe your handheld (JL_cmdr or from device)
    7) Optimize the OS to your liking by editing .alx files or editing the Java folder (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/)
    8) Load the OS with AppLoader (through DesktopManager : BlackBerry - Desktop Software - BlackBerry Desktop Software at BlackBerry.com)
    9) Restore Third Party Apps
    10) Restore from Backup in Step 1

I will add links to other threads for some steps...

(Please refer to post #22 for an edited variation of this process!) (Added Link for Desktop Manager as of 7/14/08)
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-14-08 at 10:44 AM.
    07-10-08 10:23 AM
    In regards to these instructions...can I ask if it is necessary to wipe your handheld? The reason I ask is that when I went from 4.2 to 4.5 I did not do this. I simply installed 4.5 to my pc, connected my phone, etc. Now that I am going from 4.5(33) to the latest will it install (on the PC) to the same folder?
    07-10-08 11:02 AM
    Im not the most experienced user in the world, but I would say, it is MUCH safer to wipe the device, especially in the case of a beta. Even though the same process might have worked for someone else one way, the tech god may have it out for you the one day you dont start fresh. And if you start fresh, if something goes wrong tracking down the problem becomes a sight easier
    07-10-08 11:11 AM
    I've upgraded a few times and never wiped out my BB. I don't think it's necessary unless you have major issues with one of the installs.
    07-10-08 11:11 AM
    In regards to these instructions...can I ask if it is necessary to wipe your handheld? The reason I ask is that when I went from 4.2 to 4.5 I did not do this. I simply installed 4.5 to my pc, connected my phone, etc. Now that I am going from 4.5(33) to the latest will it install (on the PC) to the same folder?
    I've upgraded a few times and never wiped out my BB. I don't think it's necessary unless you have major issues with one of the installs.
    It is not necessary, but it is a much cleaner upgrade. Wiping before the new OS can actually free up memory and it is just safer. I recommend and it does not make the process take any longer
    07-10-08 11:13 AM
    I just did it!! i was scared that i would wreck my curve but i just had faith in you guys and went for the brass ring. i downloaded and it's working beautifully so far. wow, what an improvement. i love this phone. and you guys are the greatest! i am learning more than i ever thought possible and keep the ideas coming. i am in total awe of what you all know.
    07-10-08 11:18 AM
    Is this something I should have already or do I need to google and download it?
    07-10-08 11:33 AM
    I would add, turn your radio off. If you happen to get a call or a message during the upgrade you may get the stuck icon syndrome.
    07-10-08 12:05 PM
    Yeah what others said - I normally do a complete wipe after I back up everything then upgrade my os.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 12:20 PM
    I would add, turn your radio off. If you happen to get a call or a message during the upgrade you may get the stuck icon syndrome.
    When you DM is accessing your device to backup or restore or do anything with phone software it shuts the radio off for you.
    07-10-08 12:27 PM
    When you DM is accessing your device to backup or restore or do anything with phone software it shuts the radio off for you.
    I used to believe that too, until after one upgrade i had a stuck missed call icon, I started shutting the radio off manually and kept it off through out the upgrade process. DM may turn it back on while it is restoring apps and things may get messy then too.
    07-10-08 12:45 PM
    The DesktopManager does this automatically... believe me

And for whoever asked... JL_cmdr is an app you can DL for your PC to do some nifty things. The link is below :

JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility
    07-10-08 07:43 PM
    how does the computer and DM know which OS to load onto the BB? I have multiple OS on my computer. How does it know which one to use?
    07-10-08 07:50 PM
    how does the computer and DM know which OS to load onto the BB? I have multiple OS on my computer. How does it know which one to use?

2) Backup your third party applications (http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/upd...rograms-46800/)
    7) Optimize the OS to your liking by editing .alx files or editing the Java folder (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/)
    8) Load the OS with AppLoader (through DesktopManager)
    9) Restore Third Party Apps
    10) Restore from Backup in Step 1

I will add links to other threads for some steps...
    That is addressed in my initial response
    07-10-08 08:03 PM
    Wipe before you install.... I do it all the time and afterwards I get more memory, and there's less garbage on the handheld

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-08 08:08 PM
    6 of one half dozen of the other. I wiped it this lat time because i was having trouble with mms. Don't think I will bother doing it next time.
    07-10-08 09:12 PM
    how do you remove the vender.xml files and when you say remove all OS's do you mean the .exe files? and if not how do i uninstall the old OS's through what ever (DM or yea..) thanks in advanced
    07-11-08 02:39 AM
    so yea.. im searched for it and i found it.. /= shoulda done that first. im installing now thanks though.

what is that file anyways?
    07-11-08 02:44 AM

(make sure the OS is for your specific device!)
    4) Install the OS to your PC (run the .exe file)
    5) Remove all old OSes! (Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and Uninstall Prior OS versions!)
    6) Delete the vendor.xml file (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader)
    7) Wipe your handheld (JL_cmdr or from device)
    (Options > Security Options > General Settings > Menu > Wipe Handheld)
    JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility
    8) Optimize the OS to your liking by editing .alx files or editing the Java folder (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/)
    9) Load the OS with AppLoader (through DesktopManager)
    10) Restore Third Party Apps
    11) Restore from Backup in Step 1
    Please note, for clarification I have edited my original post (#4) on this thread!

I made most of the changes in bold, added some links, etc

Please note : There are many variations to this install process and some steps are not necessary. Specifically, steps 2 and 10 for third party apps
    Last edited by bmcclure937; 07-11-08 at 07:25 AM.
    07-11-08 07:20 AM
    im money now, thanks dood
    07-11-08 01:23 PM
    You should add notes to this 'process' about all the waits you have to do like waiting for the hourglass for 10-30 mins after the OS install while DM says 'connecting', how you will get a 507 usually after wiping...etc.

Those things are sort of confusing to newbies who might think they hosed their BB.
    07-11-08 09:43 PM
    Just followed this whole procedure. I had been running .52 since it came out with no problems at all....but it was probably my 10th beta OS upgrade and I never have wiped my device before.

So I backed up everything did a wipe and reloaded 4.5 and then restored my 3rd party apps and everything else and it worked like a champ. I had 24mb free after this before I restored all my msgs and everything and now Im at 18.2mb, lol. Thats after optimizing everything I could.

Great guide here, I appreciate it.
    07-12-08 11:44 AM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD