I introduced myself earlier .. wrote about my phone buying habit .. What I am trying to understand is "What exactly IS the addiction with the Blackberry?" [I love the name "crackberry" by the way.] What makes this phone different than others?? As I wait for my new phone to arrive, I just can't help but ask myself that question.

I am addicted to trying every new gadgety phone that comes out - Hoping to swap THAT addiction to an addiction for one particular phone. Hoping the Blackberry Bold will put an end to wanting and buying new ---

With the Bold I think I won't want the NEXT one. I really don't like a touchscreen on a phone. I love them on my UMPC and my Tablet laptop but I think I have bought and sold a dozen touchscreens starting with the Treo long ago. The slide out keyboards don't help. FINALLY I came to that realization after buying the iPhone, thought I needed a keyboard - so my next phone was the i-mate ultimate [with keyboard] . Then the Samsung Omnia came out .. no keyboard, sold it and bought the HTC Touch [with keyboard] .. each time going back to my trusty Nokia N93.

So back to my question - I didn't just hear it here .. I have heard about this "addiction" before .. what is it ?? How is this phone different than another ?? Is it something that can be put in words ?
    09-21-08 09:49 AM
    For me, its the ability to get most of the things I need to do done anywhere. I use this thing more than I use my laptop. Couldn't say that about my old Razor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 09:56 AM
    Very similar for me, its being able to get my email, read the news, chat with and make new friends, listen to music/podcasts etc. I'm relatively new as well but would not go back to a regular phone.
    09-21-08 10:04 AM
    I wanted to post WHAT you can do with a Berry and how exiting doing THAT can be, but then realized that other phones can do a lot of what the Berries do...mails,browsing,looks...

I came to the conclusion that my personal BB Adiction would be the dynamics: always feeling/being connected to other people. Its not just a phone.

You go shopping and get bothered by 10 incoming mails instantly pushed to your Berry. You answer some of them, others are just info to keep you on track with something. Then some people BB message you. You want to know where you are, use gps, then surf the net to see what you can do in the evening, check some movies in the cinema online. On the way to work listen to some music.CLINNNNNNG. incomming mms, oh nice funny picture of my brother...respond back SMS, CLINNNNG oh whats that, got 3 new emails, check that...ok listen to some music now. Incoming call, your friend asks you what you are going to do in the evening...oh yeah checked cinema...gonna watch a movie today. Arrived at work, call your wife/girlfriend...nice talk. Brows crackberry to see whats up 2 new blogs, 50 new entries in the forum...read some, respond to some...CLINNNG got new emails, pause browsing, check emails AND SO FORTH

I appologize for so much nonsense text. Buttom line: I really like the BlackBerry because it not only keeps me connected, but the initiative is not only taken by myself but also something(email)/someone(messages,calls) else. It keeps you busy and I like it. I remember times when my phone (Motorola KRZR K1) was laying on the table for hours. I might have called someone, or someone called or messaged me, but a BlackBerry is just so much more entertaining. Something always happens, and if not YOU make it happen.
    btw I love BBs QWERTY

My addiction is mass-communication.
    Last edited by Vlad M.; 09-21-08 at 11:27 AM.
    09-21-08 10:15 AM
    Beautifully put and spot on!

I love my gadgets and I could not be held to a 12 month contract. I get bored with phones after a couple of weeks. The Pearl cured me of that. It was my perfect phone but then it lost and deleted my calendar. My New York Holiday ramblings just disappeared! I hope having a bigger memory on the Bold wont do that but regular synching with the laptop works (it didnt work with the Pearl). Anyhow, i've spent too much on this addiction but am totally hooked on my Bold
    09-21-08 10:50 AM
    Why don't u find that out yourself when u get it. Cuz the addiction depends on each BB owner for a number of reasons.

09-21-08 01:12 PM
    For me it's how the phone runs and what it is capiable of. The things I can do and what it allows me to do. Great phone! I don't see myself leaving the Blackberry brand.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8320 - 4.5.0.69 OS Beta!
    [[email protected]]

--HeavyC.

09-21-08 01:25 PM
    Beautifully put and spot on!

My New York Holiday ramblings just disappeared! ....hooked on my Bold
    I see you have a bold and that you are on Tmobile .. Are you in the USA ?? I am thinking about cancelling my order because a few threads said. "NO TMOBILE USA on the Bold." [hoping someone will ease my mind before I spend too much money.]
    09-21-08 03:12 PM
    I just got my Curve last week, I feel like I've only discovered 1% of what it can do. It got up to speed so fast, I could get email anywhere, which I could not do easily on my old Motorola phone (it could send email but not easily read it back). The browser actually worked (did not do that well on the Moto). I could blog on it. I could send text so much faster with a full alpha keyboard rather than the text-messaging input on the Moto, you know "Hello" was 44 33 555 (pause or arrow right) 555 666. Yeesh!

Haven't even begun to install apps other than Yahoo mobile and BB Music Sync.

Oh my god it's an MP3 player!

Oh my god I can use my MP3s as ringtones! Holy Sh** no need to buy the danged ringtones I can use whatever I want!
    09-21-08 04:06 PM
    I think that the addiction comes with the ease to do both work and play which means the ability to spend as much time with it as possible. People love to be on their phone, getting their e-mail, playing games, and surfing the net. Put it all on one device that you can carry anywhere and you can see why people can't put it down.

09-21-08 05:20 PM
    I have had my blackberry for almost three months now, and I absolutely love it. I came from a Windows Mobile phone, which was nothing but constant headaches. I am able to receive emails, MMS, SMS, BBM, Browse the web, listen to music, receive phone calls, keep track of my calenders for work/school, keep a list of things i need to do in the tasks, and so much more. I feel like I only know half of what my phone is capable of doing, and I have had it for almost three months. The addiction is, there is always something new!
    09-21-08 05:35 PM
    I wanted to post WHAT you can do with a Berry and how exiting doing THAT can be, but then realized that other phones can do a lot of what the Berries do...mails,browsing,looks...

I came to the conclusion that my personal BB Adiction would be the dynamics: always feeling/being connected to other people. Its not just a phone.

You go shopping and get bothered by 10 incoming mails instantly pushed to your Berry. You answer some of them, others are just info to keep you on track with something. Then some people BB message you. You want to know where you are, use gps, then surf the net to see what you can do in the evening, check some movies in the cinema online. On the way to work listen to some music.CLINNNNNNG. incomming mms, oh nice funny picture of my brother...respond back SMS, CLINNNNG oh whats that, got 3 new emails, check that...ok listen to some music now. Incoming call, your friend asks you what you are going to do in the evening...oh yeah checked cinema...gonna watch a movie today. Arrived at work, call your wife/girlfriend...nice talk. Brows crackberry to see whats up 2 new blogs, 50 new entries in the forum...read some, respond to some...CLINNNG got new emails, pause browsing, check emails AND SO FORTH

I appologize for so much nonsense text. Buttom line: I really like the BlackBerry because it not only keeps me connected, but the initiative is not only taken by myself but also something(email)/someone(messages,calls) else. It keeps you busy and I like it. I remember times when my phone (Motorola KRZR K1) was laying on the table for hours. I might have called someone, or someone called or messaged me, but a BlackBerry is just so much more entertaining. Something always happens, and if not YOU make it happen.
    btw I love BBs QWERTY

My addiction is mass-communication.
    Ditto
    I get "the look" from other people judging me for having such an extravagant "phone". Then when they are lost or want to know what movie is showing, who do they call? Even my daughter who lives half a continent away! I use my BB more than my computer. I easily recoop the cost of the data plan from the time saved from having to get on my computer at home, where as a mom, I am able to do other things like laundry or cooking or cleaning(LOL).
    I am always accessible to my parents who are elderly and my children. This is not a necessity but once you get hooked it is hard to put it down! Maybe because of the dozen or so games I have downloaded, hehe
    09-21-08 06:18 PM
    If you stick around CrackBerry enough, you will definitely find out why there is an addiction. Many people are slaves to their Berries, and it is sad... but they play such an important role in some peoples' lives

In the end, remember it is just a phone!
    09-21-08 06:20 PM
    The bb is a mass communication master. That's it. I have a treo 700wx, 755p and my curve and have used/activated/ de-activated all three this week-lol. As a pda/ organizer, the bb does not compare (yet). I think pocket informant will bring it up to speed. That's why I miss my treos. I'm a heavy calender and task list user. Also, syncing with my microsoft money which bb does not do is very important. And before anyone throws out Ascendo or Splash money, they don't come close. Maybe with some time they will. Other than those 3 major points for me, the bb is king. The poster hit it dead on when he/she posted about always being connected and that's where the addiction comes in.

09-21-08 06:36 PM
    For me it's being able to get all my emails while I'm on tour. It's being able to stay connected at all times and NOT having to go to a Starbucks to get email (God I HATE Starbucks!!!). I have my entire iTunes library on my BB plus movies.
    Also I can chat with people and surf the net.

It's the convenience of everything in my hand. Plus it looks cool
    09-21-08 06:39 PM
    They definetly look cooler

09-21-08 06:49 PM
    For me, its the ability to get most of the things I need to do done anywhere. I use this thing more than I use my laptop. Couldn't say that about my old Razor.

Well said.

Anything and everything. Case in point: cracked my laptp LCD a few weeks back. Didn't miss a beat with by phone.

It is the complete device for me. Entertainment, business and everything in between.
    09-21-08 06:50 PM
    SERIOUSLY I do NOT understand the addiction! It is more frustrating than anything the simple functions it does not have and yet the confusing set-up of things like messages!!!

I love the bold screen I have... but truly not much else about my bold
    01-16-09 01:01 AM
    Sometimes you wished you dint have such a complicated phone ever did u ? gets really boring after a point
    01-16-09 01:56 AM
    According to wikipedia

"Use of the term CrackBerry became so widespread that in November 2006 Webster's New World College Dictionary named "crackberry" the "New Word of the Year".

For a long time, blackberry was the only real push e-mail device (largely still true) available. It beeps/buzzes whenever you get an e-mail. How can you resist from taking it out? This ability to auto recieve e-mail anytime anywhere is the source and the history of the 'addiction' IMHO.
    01-16-09 02:23 AM
    Oh wayyy. I'm totally addicted already I've had it for a week and I've already got a new housing/theme and haven't been of it since. Xxx

01-20-09 06:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD