Ummm, well, I am getting a Blackberry soon, but I have a few questions and decisions to make.

1st: I do not know which BB to get: Pearl 8130 or Curve 8330. My carrier shall be Cellular South (I live in Jackson, Mississippi)

2nd: I do not understand how the Blackberry Internet Service thing works (Yes I read the 101 Lecture and it was very informing, but right now, I sort of prefer actual people who have had this experience...no offense to the maker of the Lectures...), and I do not understand how to access the browser on the BB. (I heard the 8130 and 8330 models do not use Wi-Fi, so how can I access the browser?)

Yeah, actually, once I understand the browser and email things better, then I will maybe be able to make a decision easier.

All help would be appreciated:
    Thanks in Advanced~
    11-15-08 08:14 AM
    Ummm, well, I am getting a Blackberry soon, but I have a few questions and decisions to make.

1st: I do not know which BB to get: Pearl 8130 or Curve 8330. My carrier shall be Cellular South (I live in Jackson, Mississippi)

2nd: I do not understand how the Blackberry Internet Service thing works (Yes I read the 101 Lecture and it was very informing, but right now, I sort of prefer actual people who have had this experience...no offense to the maker of the Lectures...), and I do not understand how to access the browser on the BB. (I heard the 8130 and 8330 models do not use Wi-Fi, so how can I access the browser?)

Yeah, actually, once I understand the browser and email things better, then I will maybe be able to make a decision easier.

All help would be appreciated:
    Thanks in Advanced~
    I personally would say Curve > Pearl any day of the week. For any non-wifi blackberry you will have to have the data package(which Cellular South will provide for around $30/mo.)...upon having a data package(which your bb isn't a bb without it) you can just click your browser icon, and you will be on the world wide web.

Hope that helped Jake, I'm pretty new to all of this myself.
    11-15-08 08:19 AM
    Welcome to CB!

I personally recommend the 8330.

As far as internet access, there is a browser icon in your main menu you can use. Opera mini is free optional browser you can use as well.

Enjoy the addiction

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 08:19 AM
    to answer this question more directly. The BIS = data plan from your service provider I mentioned in my last post. BES is the type of data plan you would get if your BB was given to you as a business phone. BES or the Enterprise Server is really just for business that have IT guys monitoring/updating SEVERAL-A LOT of BBs at once.
    11-15-08 08:22 AM
    I suggest the Curve but that is my pref. Get the data plan and you will have the browser. Not sure what you plan on using the BB for but I got mine for business and discovered how neat the Media capabilities were by accident.

11-15-08 08:29 AM
    Definitely the Curve, having a full keyboard is the deciding factor to me...

I'm getting the Storm on Friday, so my Curve is going up for sale
    11-15-08 08:37 AM
    I prefer the curve myself for the same reasons listed. I have not been disappointed with it at all.
    11-15-08 09:13 AM
    Hey TyphoonJake,

The biggest advantage of the Curve over the Pearl is the QWERTY keyboard. If you plan to text a lot, the full keyboard is nice, so you don't have to press a key multiple times to get the right letter!

If you go here: BlackBerry - Compare PDAs - BlackBerry Smartphone and PDA Solution Comparison you can compare the devices and get a side-by-side snapshot of which has better features and such. This was a big factor for me when comparing size, weight, capabilities, etc.

You will need the data plan, but that pretty much will give you everything you need.

When you get the phone, I suggest you install Opera Mini, as the stock browser sort of... well, it's not very good. :-) Once you get your Curve, be sure to check out this link. http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

Good luck and welcome to the CB family!
    11-15-08 09:22 AM
    Another vote for the Curve, but honestly, you have to pick what works best for you.

I like the size of the Curve better than the Pearl, plus more memory and full keyboard.
    11-15-08 09:34 AM
    Hello and welcome to CB. I would take the curve if I was you.
    11-15-08 09:41 AM
    Ok, so Cellular South provides the wireless connection (Internet Connection, etc.)? So if I buy a Blackberry Curve then all I need to do is just click the icon and "viola", I am connected to the internet?
    11-15-08 10:16 AM
    Yes, it's that's simple. I love my Curve. Enjoy, and welcome!

11-15-08 10:28 AM
    The BIG feature of BIS is the email service, I think. For example, with Sprint you could get a crackberry and use it on the regular powervision plans (this is popular for people with supercheap SERO plans) but you won't get the multi-email-service aggregation that the BIS gives you (OWA from your work, other pop/imap email accounts, etc.)
    11-15-08 10:30 AM
    I would recommend the curve, but I also like the pearl to Its which ever one you feel more comfortable with.
    11-15-08 10:47 AM
    I would say the curve, but again like someone said go with what works for you.. if you like a small compact phone then the pearl is for you... if you want more of a full keyboard type fill then go with the curve, either way I am sure you will enjoy you cb experience.
    11-17-08 12:21 PM
    I use both a Curve and Pearl. The Curve is my favorite, hands down. The larger screen makes a huge difference when Browsing.

50% More memory is a bonus with the 8330.
    11-17-08 12:28 PM
    I purchased a Curve over the Pearl because of the keyboard.I'm a Cellular South customer. Get the $50 blackberry plan. It includes 500 minutes / unlimited data (for browser and e-mail)/ and unlimited mobile to mobile. I added unlimited nationwide texting for $8.They will set up your e-mail for you when you purchase it, and give you a quick lesson. Most of my friends have iphones paying $90 and up for a plan like this. They are impressed by my Curve. I'm impressed with the GPS and blackberry maps. Its very accurate for me, even showing intersection names as I pass through an intersection.
    11-17-08 01:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD