Hello everyone. I'm thinking about buying myself a Blackberry Curve in the next few weeks. I've never owned a Blackberry or any kind of smart phone before. I was originally looking at the iPhone, but the AT&T plans are too expensive and the iPhone has some major drawbacks, such as the battery being soldered in! Not to mention, the Blackberry has been around much longer, and it's definitely more widely used.

I currently have a Moto RAZR with Alltel. It's a great phone, but I'm totally bored with it. I want something that can keep my entertained while the wife is shopping at Sephora, you know what I mean?

So, since I'm a newbie, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Can the Blackberry Curve stream audio from the Internet? I like to listen to MP3 streams and Windows Media streams; can it stream either one of those?

2. Can it use IMAP over SSL?

3. What video file types can the Curve play?

4. How is the web browser on it?

Yeah, I'm a definite newbie

The main problem I have is that I live in a high rise, so I'm pretty limited on providers. The only two providers that seem to work in my building are Alltel and AT&T. Unfortunately, Verizon just bought Alltel so I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

I'm leaning toward Sprint, because they have the lowest prices plans, the most features, and they have this mini cell tower for the home that uses your broadband connection. Pretty sweet, but I wonder how well it works?

Also the T-Mobile Curve is Hot Spot capable, so that might be an option as well. But it costs extra, of course

I'd stay with Alltel and get the Curve they have, but I don't know how the Verizon buyout will affect my service.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas or advice you might have.

-Dragasoni-
    09-18-08 11:17 AM
    Hello everyone. I'm thinking about buying myself a Blackberry Curve in the next few weeks. I've never owned a Blackberry or any kind of smart phone before. I was originally looking at the iPhone, but the AT&T plans are too expensive and the iPhone has some major drawbacks, such as the battery being soldered in! Not to mention, the Blackberry has been around much longer, and it's definitely more widely used.

I currently have a Moto RAZR with Alltel. It's a great phone, but I'm totally bored with it. I want something that can keep my entertained while the wife is shopping at Sephora, you know what I mean?

So, since I'm a newbie, I do have a couple of questions:

1. Can the Blackberry Curve stream audio from the Internet? I like to listen to MP3 streams and Windows Media streams; can it stream either one of those?

2. Can it use IMAP over SSL?

3. What video file types can the Curve play?

4. How is the web browser on it?

Yeah, I'm a definite newbie

The main problem I have is that I live in a high rise, so I'm pretty limited on providers. The only two providers that seem to work in my building are Alltel and AT&T. Unfortunately, Verizon just bought Alltel so I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

I'm leaning toward Sprint, because they have the lowest prices plans, the most features, and they have this mini cell tower for the home that uses your broadband connection. Pretty sweet, but I wonder how well it works?

Also the T-Mobile Curve is Hot Spot capable, so that might be an option as well. But it costs extra, of course

I'd stay with Alltel and get the Curve they have, but I don't know how the Verizon buyout will affect my service.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas or advice you might have.

-Dragasoni-
    1. no streaming yet, but will download.
    2. yes
    3. 3gp, avi, mpg, flash
    4. go check one out and you be the judge.

sprint's airave costs more. $99 for the hardware, $15/mo to use it.
    t-mobile uses almost any 802.11g router and is $10/mo for unlimited from any wifi source.
    09-18-08 11:30 AM
    But T-Mobile is a lot slower while using EDGE isn't it?

-Dragasoni-
    09-18-08 02:55 PM
    Welcome to CB!
    now go buy that Curve!
    09-18-08 03:16 PM
    Go get it through Verizon Wireless!
    09-18-08 03:46 PM
    Go get it through Verizon Wireless!
    No way, I can't stand Verizon!
    I came to Alltel to get away from them because they nickel and dime you to death with their services.

-Dragasoni-
    09-19-08 07:36 AM
    I LOVE my curve!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-08 07:38 AM
    Welcome... the nice thing about the 8320 on TMO is you can surf or make wifi calls from any wifi accessible area... if you don't have the hotspot calling plan add-on (I think it's $10/month) you will be charge under your normal calling plan for any calls, but not for surfing over the wifi.

There is a lot of good information on CB... check out the Blackberry 101 lesson under the Newbie dropdown list at the top of every page... I have a link below in my signature.
    09-19-08 09:39 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!
    09-19-08 09:45 AM
    Also, get a good video/audio converter to convert your movies and videos to BB format. Invest in a 4GB or 8GB Micro SanDisk High Capacity card (SDHC). Although the screen may not be as big as some other smartphones/devices out, the sound and video quality are excellent.

I've had the 8320 for about 4 months now and love the WiFi! All calls made using WiFi don't detract from my plan! I have T-Mobile, yeah, EDGE is kinda slow but T-Mobile has been good to me and they have the most services for the cheapest prices. Besides, I can wait for them to upgrade to 3G. I'm not a real heavy user of the mobile web or blogging or anything. It's a very nice feature when I'm in the stores or need some quick info.

I had the Motorola RIZR Z3, gave that to my wife and now I'm thinking about upgrading to the Javelin when it becomes more available. The wife gets the Curve (She just waits for me to upgrade my toys so she can get the old ones).

Do You BlackBerry?
    09-19-08 09:54 AM
    Cool, so you don't necessarily have to pay for the Hot Spot option on T-Mobile to make use of the WiFi? If that's true, then...awesome!

-Dragasoni-
    09-19-08 02:59 PM
    I have the same wireless router that T-MO uses for @Home service (Linksys WRT54G) and it works great. I have also connected to my parents' wireless network and use that whenever I visit.

If you use WiFi to make calls, you will not be charged.

Do You BlackBerry?
    09-19-08 04:21 PM
    Welcome to crackberry and ur gonna love the curve I know I love mines and can't live without it..

09-19-08 04:50 PM
    A friend of mine bought a Curve with Alltell 2 weeks ago.. He loves it! You will be happy with it..
    I'm not exactly sure about his plan but Alltell offered him a really good plan with a lot of "unlimited"..

So, go to AllTell and go buy one
    09-19-08 04:52 PM
    I have the same wireless router that T-MO uses for @Home service (Linksys WRT54G) and it works great. I have also connected to my parents' wireless network and use that whenever I visit.

If you use WiFi to make calls, you will not be charged.

Do You BlackBerry?
    I have WiFi at home, but I'd rely on EDGE too much to use T-Mobile. I currently use a Dell Axim PDA connected via bluetooth to my RAZR, which uses EVDO. So I guess I'm already spoiled; testing a Curve in the T-Mobile store last weekend was a disappointment in terms of web speed.

Otherwise, I really liked the phone. My only concern with the phone itself were the small keys. I guess I'll get used to them eventually.

-Dragasoni-
    09-19-08 10:11 PM
    Welcome to crackberry and ur gonna love the curve I know I love mines and can't live without it..

This proves I'm a newbie, but you seriously can't live without it??

-Dragasoni-
    09-19-08 10:12 PM
    A friend of mine bought a Curve with Alltell 2 weeks ago.. He loves it! You will be happy with it..
    I'm not exactly sure about his plan but Alltell offered him a really good plan with a lot of "unlimited"..

So, go to AllTell and go buy one
    I've been with Alltel for 7 years now, and I have to say they are the best wireless provider in Tampa Bay hands down. I have coverage where nobody else does, and it ALWAYS works every time I make a call. I used to get "all circuits are busy now" with Cingular; this never happens on Alltel.

The Blackberry 101 says "coverage, coverage, coverage it most important". Alltel definitely wins this award. I'm just reluctant to say with them because of the Verizon buyout.

-Dragasoni-
    09-19-08 10:19 PM
    Where I live you have two choices altel or att and trust me you don't want altel they blow in arkansas

09-19-08 10:23 PM
    Where I live you have two choices altel or att and trust me you don't want altel they blow in arkansas

Just the opposite here. My company uses AT&T, and the coverage is definitely not as good. I guess it all depends on your location.

-Dragasoni-
    09-20-08 10:07 AM
    Hi I'm thinking of buying the 9300 as well. I currently own the Playbook and really enjoy it. It is my first Blackberry and now I want to get a BB phone to go along with it. Does the 9300 work well with the Playbook? There is a good deal, I think, to get base plan with WindMobile for $15/month.
    02-21-12 10:47 PM
    Your better off waiting for the bb10 phones the ones now are horrible.
    02-29-12 09:43 AM
    Got a Curve 9300 last month,its my first BB phone, well I wanted the Curve 9360 but then couldn't get it but I m enjoying this one. :-)
    03-10-12 07:21 PM
    The curve is a great phone!
    03-25-12 02:29 PM
    Why Ressurect a 4 year post?
    03-25-12 03:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD