I need some serious help w/ my 8330. I feel so stupid - but what the heck is "holstering" I assume its when you put it in the holster. BUT, I have a hard plastic case around mine, so it doesn't fit in the holster.

Is there a way to lock the keyboard, so when the device is in my pocket/purse it won't dial?

I was reading a couple other threads about shortcuts to vibrate. Some have said to hold the "Q" key down. When I do that it wants to set a speed dial to "Q". I also read here that ALT enter will get you there, but that just leads me right back to holstering.

If I can't figure out how to lock this darn keyboard - I may have to get rid of this phone - its driving me crazy. Thanks all.
    11-29-08 02:04 PM
    Straw_berry - thanks for your response. Where is your lock keyboard option. I can't seem to locate on.
    11-29-08 02:29 PM
    To lock your keyboard, from the home screen, press menu button, (seven black dots button), and scroll throught the icons until u find the keyboard lock icon. Depending on your theme, but usually the icon is a pic of a lock.
    p.s.- also in the menu, there is a "help" icon that gives step by step tutorials to all things reguarding your bberry!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-29-08 02:32 PM
    To lock your keyboard, from the home screen, press menu button, (seven black dots button), and scroll throught the icons until u find the keyboard lock icon. Depending on your theme, but usually the icon is a pic of a lock.
    p.s.- also in the menu, there is a "help" icon that gives step by step tutorials to all things reguarding your bberry!

Oh my....I feel like an *****. [hides head in shame]. Thanks
    11-29-08 03:57 PM
    You can also go into your settings and disable dial from home screen to give you more keyboard shortcuts. then I think you just hit k (or was it l?) to lock the screen and like almost every other key has some function (f opens profiles, c composes a new message, etc.) It's really a good option that a lot of curve users utilize. there is a thread somewhere here explaining exactly what keys do what.
    11-29-08 04:22 PM

Hi knowsnothing! Don't hide for to long, u may miss out on some good stuff! Ha!
    Welcome aboard if I didn't tell u earlier.

11-29-08 05:04 PM
    hi, welcome to crack
    11-29-08 05:07 PM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!

11-29-08 05:15 PM
    Don't feel stupid around us... I think that would be impossible. We're only so smart because of all of our collective knowledge here on CB. If the server were to go down, we would all become a bunch of babbling idiots

Glad you could join in Welcome to Crackberry!

Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

Launch your addiction into the next dimension. Go to wap.crackberry.com (from your phone) and install your CB Launcher.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/popu...d-links-21096/

No worries Intervention is not in our vocabulary here, enjoy your addiction to the fullest.
    11-29-08 07:22 PM
    Hey knowsnothing -- I have a great solution that will do what you need. You don't need to do anything with the menu key. Look at your 8330 and there's a button on top to the left. That is your STANDBY key. If you push it for 2 seconds it puts the Curve in Standy-by mode and pushing keys does nothing. This is the same mode you get when you "holster" the Curve in its case.

To use the BB again, push the stand-by key again.

Your Curve will still receive phone calls and messages in this mode and will notify you.

Hope that helps.
    11-29-08 07:58 PM
    I love the standby mode and anytime I'm not using my BB, I have it in standby. I think it's only my imagination, but I think it saves on my battery life too.
    11-29-08 08:05 PM
    There are no stupid questions! We were all new once - welcome to CB.

11-29-08 08:10 PM
    11-29-08 08:19 PM
    Welcome to the addicTion knowsnothing.

11-30-08 09:52 AM
    Hey knowsnothing -- I have a great solution that will do what you need. You don't need to do anything with the menu key. Look at your 8330 and there's a button on top to the left. That is your STANDBY key. If you push it for 2 seconds it puts the Curve in Standy-by mode and pushing keys does nothing. This is the same mode you get when you "holster" the Curve in its case.

Your Curve will still receive phone calls and messages in this mode and will notify you.

Hope that helps.
    Huh! I learned something new today! I almost always use my holster; but it's great to know that in the rare occasion that I need to put the Curve in my pocket (when I'm wearing my suit, for example), I'll still have standby mode available!

Thanks, madhaus!! Crackberry.com rocks!!!!!

11-30-08 10:07 AM

Hope that helps.
    Thanks - this is perfect.

thank you all for the hints and the warm welcome.
    11-30-08 01:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD