I'm thinking about (90% sure) coming over from the Palm side and have a couple of really basic questions about the BB phones.
    I use most of the functions of "smartphones" in my businesss but the really important one is that I need a reliable device for voice communications (the phone part). I have VZ service and need to stay with them because we are in the mountains and I can not get signals with other carriers nor can I connect to their broadband. So Vz is the only choice for me. I'm elegible for the upgrade Dec 1st and am thinking of getting a few Storms or if they turn out to be too buggy I would default back to the Curve .

Here are my questions for you experienced users.
    Can the BB's be set to nag you on voice mails? The Palm can not (even butler does not do this) so if you miss the sound alert the first time it will not repeat it. I would like to have the sound alert repeat until I pick up the message.

When the BB is in its case (the magnetic sleep kind) can you still receive calls, messages and emails, and does it alert you with a sound not just a blinking light?

The BB email is very confusing or maybe I'm making too much out of it. I have pop accounts for all of my employees. We do not use exchange. I beleive this would be BIS is your world. How do the pop3 accounts get to verizon onto the BB system and will I continue to get all of my emails on Outlook as I do now?

VZ's plan book is not making a lot of sense to me for the BB's. I need 450 minutes voice, voice mail, email, 5GB of data and some texting / IM / messaging / video messaging allowance. We are not really large users of the text features but may use it more in the future. VZ recommended the $99.99
    Nationwide email & messaging plan. Is that the one you folks would recommend?

I know these are really basic questions and I have read the BB 101 courses to try to find the answers but it did not help for these specific questions.

Thanks in Advance!
    11-20-08 11:12 AM
    I'm thinking about (90% sure) coming over from the Palm side and have a couple of really basic questions about the BB phones.
    I use most of the functions of "smartphones" in my businesss but the really important one is that I need a reliable device for voice communications (the phone part). I have VZ service and need to stay with them because we are in the mountains and I can not get signals with other carriers nor can I connect to their broadband. So Vz is the only choice for me. I'm elegible for the upgrade Dec 1st and am thinking of getting a few Storms or if they turn out to be too buggy I would default back to the Curve .

Here are my questions for you experienced users.
    Can the BB's be set to nag you on voice mails? The Palm can not (even butler does not do this) so if you miss the sound alert the first time it will not repeat it. I would like to have the sound alert repeat until I pick up the message.

I don't think it will remind you of a voicemail. Just the blinking light reminder.

When the BB is in its case (the magnetic sleep kind) can you still receive calls, messages and emails, and does it alert you with a sound not just a blinking light?

You can receive everything while in the holster just like you can out of the holster. You have to set up your profiles for ring, vibrate, or silent.

The BB email is very confusing or maybe I'm making too much out of it. I have pop accounts for all of my employees. We do not use exchange. I beleive this would be BIS is your world. How do the pop3 accounts get to verizon onto the BB system and will I continue to get all of my emails on Outlook as I do now?

You can have email accounts set up for yahoo, gmail, hotmail, outlook, and maybe even more. And you will get your emails from all of them.

VZ's plan book is not making a lot of sense to me for the BB's. I need 450 minutes voice, voice mail, email, 5GB of data and some texting / IM / messaging / video messaging allowance. We are not really large users of the text features but may use it more in the future. VZ recommended the $99.99
    Nationwide email & messaging plan. Is that the one you folks would recommend?

Not sure on this. I'm with USCC

I know these are really basic questions and I have read the BB 101 courses to try to find the answers but it did not help for these specific questions.

Thanks in Advance!

Good luck and HTH.
    Last edited by resq330; 11-20-08 at 11:45 AM. Reason: added text
    11-20-08 11:43 AM
    Come on over - we welcome new CB members!
    11-21-08 12:21 AM
    Join the addiction.

Resistance is futile.
    11-21-08 01:39 AM
    Great reply from resq330

Welcome to Crackberry!

Take advantage of the very helpful BB 101. BlackBerry 101 How-To Lecture Series | CrackBerry.com . Also the powerfull search engine to dig through this bottomless pit of Crackberry knowledge for stuff already answered. Post on those existing threads or post a new one if need be. Many folks here happy to help. Some searching tips... Go To: Search Forums / Advanced Search / Key word search / search by title / "pick a key word" that comes to mind and you might stumble upon some answers and/or clues. Or search by Post content...

No worries Intervention is not in our vocabulary here, enjoy your addiction to the fullest.
    11-21-08 02:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD