I have a friend who needs me to help him set up email on his new Curve.

He has a pop3 account, so basically, has

A Username
    A Password
    Pop settings, i.e mail.domain.com
    smtp settings, i.e smtp.domain.com
    and his email account uses ESMTP for authentication, basically same username and password above.

Someone was telling me The way a Blackberry works (on BIS Blackberry Internet Service - what he has is that you set up forwarding from your existing email addresses to [email protected] This immediately pops up on your Blackberry. When you respond to emails it looks like you are responding from your actual email.

I'm very confused, any ideas anyone?
    06-15-07 07:26 AM
    That's right! Bottom line is, for HIS main email address that HE uses you set a rule/function on that account to forward a COPY of incoming emails to the BlackBerry (BIS) email address: [email protected]

The properties of that email (BIS) will have the TRUE details of his REAL email address. So, when he sends an email it will look like it's coming from [email protected]

Make sense, clear as mud?

ps: have him sign up on CrackBerry.com, too...
    Last edited by anon(153966); 06-15-07 at 07:38 AM.
    06-15-07 07:35 AM
    thats pretty straight forward I guess. Wonder why you can't just up a pop email account then ? I know other smartphones let you do this?
    06-15-07 07:39 AM
    ...you can! But, unless it's GMail, Yahoo or Hotmail, you'd have to wait 15 minutes BEFORE getting the email...

Yahoo, GMail & Hotmail = push = instant
    POP3 = Pull = every 15 minutes
    06-15-07 07:42 AM
    didn't realise that. you'd think Pop would be faster? interesting.
    06-15-07 07:44 AM
    Well, POP has to be polled, i.e. someone / something has to ask it to deliver email...
    06-15-07 08:02 AM
    Could you provide more details on setting up a POP3 account, or refer me to instructions. I have a new curve from tmobile, and would rather not pay 19.95 per month for their email add-on. can i just check my email when i am on wifi for free? i have a pop3 account at work, but on the curve i do not even see the mail app. tried logging on to my work email using the browser, but it gets hung up. downloaded gmail app, but it gets stuck on "loading."
    10-07-07 10:46 AM
    Donz, we have plenty of threads on this. But, from your device, look for, "set up personal email', or something like that...

It's pretty much, next, next, next...
    10-07-07 11:59 AM
    Well for my main e-mail account, I use imap.ispname. and for my bp account, I used the pop.ispname.com and then just used gmails pop3 on my bb as well as set up my @att.blackberry.net e-mail address as well... So far everything works great.

Charlie
    10-07-07 01:23 PM
    It is definitely not simple...I can put together a pc from scratch but can't get my blackberry email to work! Even my IT guy was about to throw it out the window...otherwise I love it. If anyone knows how to set up the POP3 email on the 8310 Curve..Please let me Know! (without paying the extra $25 bucks!)
    05-27-08 01:33 PM
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Blackberry, and all the wonderful help that is CRACKberry!! Have fun and enjoy!!
    05-28-08 06:25 PM
    I wish I'd read this thread before talking to the T-Mobile salesman, who assured me that regardless of data plan the Curve could retrieve pop3 mail as long as a wifi was present. That's what sold me on the phone given that I refuse to pay for a data plan that I might use twice a month.

The word from Blackberry tech support is that at the very least you need the $10/month "Blackberry plan" in order to retrieve pop3 accounts. The other option is a full data plan, which runs at least $20/month. At least that's the way I understand the pricing.

Bottom line: a Curve by itself cannot get pop3, despite the presence of a wifi.
    Last edited by Science98; 11-22-08 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Mistyped "Storm" instead of "Curve"
    11-21-08 05:47 PM
    I wish I'd read this thread before talking to the T-Mobile salesman, who assured me that regardless of data plan the Curve could retrieve pop3 mail as long as a wifi was present. That's what sold me on the phone given that I refuse to pay for a data plan that I might use twice a month.

The word from Blackberry tech support is that at the very least you need the $10/month "Blackberry plan" in order to retrieve pop3 accounts. The other option is a full data plan, which runs at least $20/month. At least that's the way I understand the pricing.

Bottom line: a Storm by itself cannot get pop3, despite the presence of a wifi.
    that's right and a storm doesn't have wifi in any case :: d@mn you big red
    11-21-08 07:37 PM
    11-24-08 05:07 PM
    I guess this makes me a sellout, but I've been using the $10/mo Blackberry Plan for over 2 years. I use email constantly and I'm OK with the native email client.

What I dislike is that you can't change your mail signature on the device itself. Good grief...

Tonight I bought a new phone, as my 7280 just died (the dreaded Prefetch Error: Reset message). I had to call T-Mobile and have them walk me through the setup process. It's somewhat arcane.

Options -> Advanced -> Host Routing Table -> Select the BOLD item -> press the MENU key -> Register Now

Then back to the main menu, and a new Manage Internet Email icon appears (envelope with big red arrow).

Open that icon -> Email Accounts -> Edit

If you already have an email account registered in the Blackberry service, as I did, the settings are picked up automatically during the registration step above.

That's it. Email started working right away.
    12-14-08 12:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD